** Official Clevo P950HP6/Sager NP8950 Owner's Lounge **

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, May 11, 2017.

1. bennycooly

bennycooly Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hmm, I am having a strange issue with this laptop... just got a P950HR from Hidevolution and they have been great with the service, but it seems that the laptop is having memory issues with my Kingston HyperX Impact 16gb (2x8) 2133MHz RAM. I keep getting BSOD's that say MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and another one that says invalid heap allocation even when trying to install Windows 10. I went to Fry's today to grab a cheap 16GB 2400MHz RAM but that's not even getting past the black screen on boot. I will be returning that module tomorrow but I just placed an order for a G.Skill 32GB (2x16) 2400MHz set that I am really hoping will work.

I did read through the service manual and it says that the laptop supports 2400MHz DDR4. Does this mean it won't support 2133MHz? Also, I have made sure to disconnect the battery and and reset the CMOS before and after every hardware change I make.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    2133mhz and 2400mhz are both part of the Intel spec and supported on all desktop ddr4 systems.

3. djsubtronic

djsubtronic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had the same issue with mine. I ordered my P950HR with a single 4GB 2133 MHz RAM chip as I already had 2x8GB 2400 (Kingston HyperX Impact) ones. When I installed them, I kept getting blue screens, same as the ones you're getting. But for some reason not in safe mode, so I figured it was driver related. Many hours later I concluded one of the 2400 chips was faulty because it worked fine with the 4GB 2133 chip + the good 2400 chip, but not with the bad one. So I ordered another one (same brand). While waiting for it to arrive, I put the bad 2400 chip back into my old laptop... and it worked fine, which got me thinking that maybe the RAM isn't bad and that the P950HR motherboard might not be very friendly with Kingston chips?

To make things even more confusing, my new Kingston 2400 chip came in today and I've been running it the whole day with 2x8GB 2400 Kingston HyperX Impact chips without a single BSOD. And the old laptop is running fine with the "faulty" chip, which now I think probably isn't faulty at all.

This post might not really help you but I just thought I'd share. It just seems like the motherboard is sensitive to RAM chips??

Out of interest, what are the numbers for you on the Memory tab of CPU-Z? Like the timings and stuff for the RAM? If you can manage to get one before it BSODs...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  4. bennycooly

Reputations:
    Wow that's good to hear that it might not actually be my laptop that is broken...I'm going to try to test a new RAM module from Fry's tomorrow to see if it works. Hopefully it's just the motherboard that doesn't like the Kingston memory.

I can't open up CPU-z because I can't even install Windows without all sorts of BSOD's that point to bad memory, even with one stick.

One interesting thing now is that in BIOS I can only see one of my 8GB sticks....it doesn't even detect the other one in the second slot so if I have both sticks installed it will only detect 8GB. I really hope it's just my finicky RAM...

5. djsubtronic

Reputations:
    Good luck. I don't think it's specifically Kingston related cuz I'm using two Kingstons right now. At one point while switching RAMs with the old Kingstons (including the "faulty" one) it simply refused to even post.

Have you tried swapping the chip slots?

It's definitely just something finicky, but to avoid buying heaps of RAM chips to figure it out, may be worth just buying 2x8 Corsair chips instead and get it over with, as that's the only brand my reseller supplied with this laptop and I have a friend who has the same model and isn't having any RAM issues (using Corsair).

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Try running with a single stick, swap out the memory module and the slot you are using. This will help narrow down if a slot or stick is faulty.

7. bennycooly

Reputations:
    Yes, I've tested every stick independently and neither of them run without memory BSOD's. Maybe my Kingston 2133 sticks have too low timings? Not sure.

HIDevolution sells the laptop with G.Skill 2666 RAM, so I am hoping that the 2400 variant works as well. If not, I will try the Corsair sticks.

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    You might have just got unlucky but yes the replacements should be fine at 2400mhz.

9. djsubtronic

Reputations:
    Anyone get static noise through the headphone jack? Seems to be amplified when there is disk (or maybe CPU) activity.

10. Dumikky

Dumikky Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello to all!

I'm wondering if i can replace the default screen ,,AUO B156HTN05.2,, with a newer one, like
    AUO B156HAN04.5?