*** Official Clevo P950HP6/Sager NP8950 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 11, 2017.

1. MegaCookie

MegaCookie Newbie

Reputations:
    I like to see if it is possible to to upgrade my HD screen to a UHD screen. Is it just swapping the 30 pins cable for a 40 pins one? So if that is the case does anyone know if it is possible (and where) to get a 40 pins eDP cable for the Clevo P950(HR)?

2. eiraku

eiraku Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    By the way, my P950HR has actually been sent back to my local Clevo guys.

The screen had periods of weird unexplainable flickering and blacking out, with it periodically returning to normal state when I open/close the lid. Hooking it up to HDMI out worked fine during these periods, which was a tad ehhh.

Even funnier was that there were actually times that the screen was ABSOLUTELY perfect.

So yeah, can't wrap my head over what's happening really. Thinking The eDP connection is loose or buggered up for some unknown reason - but that doesn't explain the periods of it working fine. Or maybe some deep-set issue with the driver or something, if it wasn't the eDP.

And my P950HR was barely 8 days old too. I'm a very sad smurf at the moment.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  3. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks for this - good to know.

A couple of comments about my Eurocom Q5 (P957HR).

1. Don't go by the weight published on the Eurocom website. They say 1.9 kg. It is actually 2.265 kg - 2.2 kg if you toss out the HDD.
    2. This is not a laptop. It NEEDS to sit on a table so that air can get into the vents at the bottom. Place it on your bed and it will overheat, even while doing practically nothing. Watching a movie in bed? Make sure you put a tray or something similar underneath.
    3. Has a 'solid' feel to it. Can't feel any flex while picking it up by one of the corners on the bottom.
    4. Keyboard looks ugly. Works fine though. The WASD keys have an additional white border which makes the keyboard look even uglier.

Someone was asking about Witcher 3. Haven't played it yet, but the CPU crossed 90 C while installing it (with the fans set to maximum). This in a cold room, ambient about 20 C. Expect throttling in summer.

4. Frits@LaptopParts4Less

Frits@LaptopParts4Less Company Representative

Reputations:
    We have a customer with the exact same issues as you describe, but he has a P640HK1. So I guess this is software related? What does your supplier say?

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It could be a bad port perhaps.

6. Willem1990

Willem1990 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone else can confirm the issues with the heath?

7. anytimer

Reputations:
    I'm trying to undervolt the CPU using ThrottleStop. Reading up on how to do it. Will post here when I actually start tweaking.

8. eiraku

eiraku Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, they just got back to me and guess what... they can't replicate the issue at all lol, so they're calling me in for further testing. It's a tad funny that they can't conveniently sweep the whole thing under the rug as I do have video of the issue happening... and yet it's not happening while it's with them AT ALL.

But they did reseat the eDP (or so they said) as a preventive measure... and I did update the iGPU drivers (through Windows Update of all places lol) before sending it in so hopefully one of those two (or the combination of both) somehow fixed the whole thing.

If it didn't though, I probably got the world's first "haunted" P950HR.

Don't worry, it's not all that complicated once you read up completely and start. It's also massively helpful, at least for temps.

My own P950HR (when the screen was not trying to tempt me into disco dancing) ran Wildlands (probably the "heaviest" game I have considering I can't make it go above 60FPS at "mostly-ultra") without the CPU ever breaching 70°C. And this is with a -125mv undervolt on the CPU/iGPU (and the dGPU untouched).

(And yes, it did cross my mind that the disco dancing screen was actually caused by the undervolts, but it actually still happened even after turning those off so nope, wasn't the UV)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    anytimer likes this.
  9. Willem1990

Willem1990 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I tend to watch series in my bed so it would be important not to have any heath issues on minor load :)

10. anytimer

Reputations:
    Me too. To be fair, I've forced the video to play using the nVIDIA GPU (MPC with MadVR) in order to get better picture quality. However, the issue with videos is with bed coverings obstructing air flow. No issues at all if you have a plastic tray under the laptop.

Btw. if you haven't installed the Creative SoundBlaster software, I'm loving it. Only used the presets for games, movies and music, and they're all great.