*** Official Clevo P950HP6/Sager NP8950 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, May 11, 2017.

1. skandal

skandal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, I had one for my P651SE. But beware of the power consumption, if your system is drawing more than 180w from the wall this adaptor might give you problems.

EDIT: I tough the model was P650HS, and it's default 200W adaptor. Since the default adaptor for NP8950(P950HP6) is 150w, you should be fine.

Another alternative is the Razer power adaptor (the 165w seems better, so you can have headroom to OC).

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    kong likes this.
  2. Ramsey66

Ramsey66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Guys!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this! I'm quite new to the forums. I'm really hoping to pull the trigger on the P950hp6 and at this point I've think I've read every page Google can find that even mentions the laptop. However, I'm trying to make a choice between it and its slightly chubbier older brother, the P650 (the one with the 1060 and g-sync, I forget the code). I was wondering if anyone here had experience with both and could help out? I am very new to the whole clevo world and I'm particularly worried about heat. The P950 model I'm looking at costs around £50 more than the P650 and the only difference between the two specs-wise is that the P950 has a 120hz screen and 8gigs of ram compared with a 60hz screen, g-sync and 16 gigs of ram in the P650.

I'm just a little nervous that this smaller build will have some hidden weaknesses when compared with the P650 (perhaps a lower build quality, bad cooling, hopeless something or other). Is this true, or am I just being a little overly cautious. Experience with both would be a huge plus, but any information would be great.

Any help would be enormously appreciated! And if I've posted in the wrong place I'm sorry about that.

3. pablo20520

pablo20520 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I've had P650RP6-G this year for 2 weeks, but I returned to store. I'm not gamer, sometimes I like to play something but I'm not doing this everyday. For me P950 cooling is enough, I wrote about this few posts ago in my short review. If you are gamer, better choice would be P650 I think. Why I returned P650? So, build quality at first, when I tried to open screen, plastic part above keyboard where hinges were installed, so this part got some bulge during opening, many peoples talk about this on forums, some users report some breaks on this plastic part. But this is propably problem with single pieces. P950 have alloy body, and it is really durable. Second thing which I can compare in favor of the P950 is screen lid stiffness. Other things are similar, but P950 looks amazing with this alloy body comparing to P650

4. Ramsey66

Reputations:
    Thanks for the speedy reply! I did read your earlier review (and thanks for that also by the way!) I'm more of an occasional gamer as well I think. You mentioned that the P950 build is brilliant, but I'm curious, what do you think makes the P650 better for gamers? Is it just the cooling or is it the price?

Thanks!

5. pablo20520

Reputations:
    Cooling will be better in P650, laptop is thicker, so fans and radiators are thicker too, larger area better efficiency. But back to P950, 80-82 celsius degrees after almost 1 hour of playing Battlefield 1 on very high details is good result for '20milimeters' laptop (I didn't check temps without undervolting, my temps are with -100mV and Nvidia whisper mode enabled, please remember about this)

6. Ramsey66

Reputations:
    Ah, Thanks! That's super helpful to know. Does whisper mode usually decrease heat? That's not bad. I don't suppose you can estimate how much cooler you think the p650 would be. Are we talking 10 degrees or more like 1 or 2 (please excuse my ignorance here)?

I suppose lastly could I ask. Are you still loving your P950? :D

7. pablo20520

Reputations:
    We are talking about 10 degrees I think :)
    Whisper mode is keeping framerate between 40 -60 fps to reduce heating, for me 'sunday gamer' game is still smooth.
    Yes I still love my P950 :D I would buy it again :D

8. Ramsey66

Reputations:
    Thanks so much! You've been so kind!

pablo20520 likes this.
  9. shahmeer

shahmeer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Did you get your laptop repasted?

10. pablo20520