*** Official Clevo P870TM-R Owner's Lounge - Phoenix 5 ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jc_denton

jc_denton V̖̟en̰g̻̼̰̩͙ea̲n̪c̭e̼ ͍̘̤͓̟̤Is̙͔ ̤Mi̻̭̣͎͍ͅn̰ḙ

Reputations:
    Btw, there is a limit to what card some of the machines will accept, ie DM etc. I'm not entirely sure on the rest but might be worth to look into.

That looks good, the reduction from 148W down to 127W is a noticeable gain! Its harder to get same efficiency, both due to VRMs and power leakage. Especially, when temps go north of 85c.
    If you could keep it cool and test same settings, I bet you will be closer to 115-120W
    I tested the AC/DC down to 60, but when you go down in LL, the override voltage needs to be upped as you might have noticed. Gains from 210>160 are quite noticeable, while 160>60 were within error (1-2c). Be sure to max out the amps so no power throttling is happening.

Papusan, electrosoft and Duck W like this.
  2. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    I’ve been holding at the ~127w point all day for work and it has been near dead silent so I'm happy with that. I'll end up trying to fine tune it and dial it in over the rest of this week.

I agree, it starts right around ~119-120w but as the heat and leak creeps in, it settles around 127w (~1.5w per 10f temp increase).

And I will end up trying some break points since I found my bottom AC/DC @ 115 when voltage is at its bottom 1075mv. I'll up the voltage and decrease AC/DC but I'm not expecting much (140->115 netted zero when in conjunction to a lower PL1/2 and power throttle) as ~120w is getting right in the neighborhood of desktop ~110-113w. I was pleased the same bottom voltage setting on my desktop translated almost exactly to my laptop. It added a little (just a little lol) validity to my previous testing methodology trying to fish for a low voltage able chip.

If you look at my snazzy chart (lol), you will see I switched to adaptive with AC/DC set low just to see and, yeah, right back to 148w, so it will be trial and error to establish if there is an existing break point for lower AC/DC and higher override voltage to chop off some more watts.

I'll dial it in over the rest of this week.

Then I will pick up a license for obsidian fan control to dial in the fan curves exactly.

Installing a secondary CPU fan may allow cooler running at the same or slightly higher speeds (as long as the secondary fan isn't louder than the primary fan on low).

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not sure what's up. I don't use the tool
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...cpu-running-small.832715/page-3#post-11008718

jc_denton and electrosoft like this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The secondary fan is loud generally from what I have heard, smaller fans have to spin faster to get airflow.

5. jc_denton

Reputations:
    Remember to go by temperatures and not watts and VID, as they change due to AC/DC loadline. Brother @Falkentyne did a solid write up about this earlier in the thread.

electrosoft, Papusan and Falkentyne like this.
  6. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Is it the following write up that you refer to?

7. jc_denton

Reputations:
  8. jc_denton

Reputations:
    It's the pitch that makes it stand out, as you pointed out before.

9. jc_denton

Reputations:
    I kinda bet they intended the 2nd CPU fan to be one from their former laptops, like old unsold stock.

aarpcard likes this.
  10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Unlikely, a good stock of replacement fans is always good and it would not be that much over usually.