*** Official Clevo P870TM-R Owner's Lounge - Phoenix 5 ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jc_denton

jc_denton V̖̟en̰g̻̼̰̩͙ea̲n̪c̭e̼ ͍̘̤͓̟̤Is̙͔ ̤Mi̻̭̣͎͍ͅn̰ḙ

Reputations:
    True, but still.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  2. qon

qon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got my P870TM-R after my P775 died and wanted to share a bit of feedback.
    I was hesitating a bit to order now, since the X170 might come out soon, and NVIDIA 3080, NVIDIA 2080 Super mobile, Comet-Lake-S, you name it...
    Most interesting would actually be a Ryzen 16 core laptop, or threadripper... but OK, I needed a system now.
    @Donald@HIDevolution was extremely helpful while ordering and HIDEvolution did ship very fast despite Christmas and New Year's holidays.
    The system is assembled well and they were incredibly responsive to inquiries, totally up to their reputation.

I have to say I am totally happy with the system. It runs much faster and still quieter than the old one.
    The 9900KS runs stable at -100mV undervolt, I'll try more undervolt later.
    The 8 cores run smoothly at 5 GHz with normal workload, with AVX heavy workload it can't hold 5 GHz since power and temperature are skyrocketing. I was anyway kind of expecting this, it needs a water-cooled desktop for this.
    But what is actually more important to me, with all 16 threads loaded at around 4.4 GHz, it remains quiet (well, still louder than my desktop, but nothing beats a proper water cooling).
    What bothers me most is that the 2080 is crippled to 150W, which is kind of an insult to this chassis. Stupid NVIDIA. Time for AMD to come up with a competitive GPU!

craum and jc_denton like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Congrats. The only system I would buy today:)
    Clevo to blame for the 150W power cap. Asus released the 2080 with 200W. But this will be changed with the coming Mobile 2080 Super cards.

And AMD won't be able to come up on par with Nvidia. Not even close.

joluke and jc_denton like this.
  4. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are we really going to see 2080 Super Mobile? Because I am tempted to grab a RTX2080 and sell my GTX1080. But if the Super MXM is really coming then i’ll wait.

I figure the 2080 Super mxm would tie me over until Ampere clevo laptops are settled in.

The 2080 Super would be a solid upgrade over my GTX1080.

5. qon

qon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For me as well since the Eurocom 780W PSU. Traveling with 2 power bricks and that stupid converter box was a no-go for me.

Well, perhaps we can transplant that BIOS to other clevo 150W cards, without the problems that might arise from the ASUS / Alienware BIOS.

Well, at least they are matching Intel's CPU performance now, and Navi is already a step up from Vega, so I am not giving up hope yet.

6. jc_denton

Reputations:
    A modded vbios or just hardmod the card. It will raise the ceiling for sure, but all mxm 2080's are still clock limited to 2100Mhz.

7. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What do you mean by hardmod? Shuntmod?

8. jc_denton

Reputations:
    Softmod = vbios / hardmod = hardware modification. (Shuntmod, hardmod, powermod... all the same really)

Softmod is just easier to revert back to stock :)

9. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Flashing a 2080 Super vBIOS onto a regular 2080 card sounds like the recipe for a brick.

Falkentyne and Prema like this.
  10. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Though I wouldn't recommend doing this for anything other than a quick bench in order to not fry the board, we can cross-flash e.g. the AW vBIOS.

To get the best everyday performance I would always stick to undervolting via MSI Afterburner instead.

2080S has more shaders than 2080, so that would end in a brick. ;)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Falkentyne, Papusan, joluke and 2 others like this.