*** Official Clevo P870TM-R Owner's Lounge - Phoenix 5 ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jc_denton

jc_denton V̖̟en̰g̻̼̰̩͙ea̲n̪c̭e̼ ͍̘̤͓̟̤Is̙͔ ̤Mi̻̭̣͎͍ͅn̰ḙ

Reputations:
    It really does seem that way. And from looking at the Clevo 2020 stuff I wouldn't hold my breath for it to come back any time soon.

joluke and Papusan like this.
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Exactly, no time soon I can see.

joluke likes this.
  3. Penchaud

Penchaud Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can anyone share a picture of the Vapor Chamber inside P870TM-R?

4. clevo-extreme

clevo-extreme Company Representative

Reputations:
    I don't think so about it.. Sli is definitely dead for mobile sector like notebooks.

Fastest Customizable Gaming Notebooks & Mobile Workstations | CLEVO Integrator

5. clevo-extreme

clevo-extreme Company Representative

Reputations:
    Is the same as p870tm1-g - model name P870TM-R is only renamed because someone sell P870TM-G with modifications like rtx 2070/2080 and modified heatsink and bios. Still is the same virgin 'p870tm-g'

Fastest Customizable Gaming Notebooks & Mobile Workstations | CLEVO Integrator

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I'm guessing it's more about the improved cooling ;)

Papusan likes this.
  7. Penchaud

Reputations:
    I understand. Do you have a picture of the Vapor Chamber?

8. Penchaud

Reputations:
    Many of the resellers I have spoken to have said buying a binned/delidded 9900 because one can never experience the full potential of the chip because of the limitations of the P870/P775:

The 9900K, in a Desktop PC, with a Z-Series motherboard, and half decent VRM & CPU cooling, would hit 4.7Ghz on all cores, typically.

In a laptop like this, it will likely drop below this frequency under heavy loads. Exactly where it sits would depend on too many factors to give you a definitive answer.

With the thermal paste you have requested you stand the highest probability of achieving this frequency, though ironically if the thermal pads are more effective than the default ones, this will potentially negatively impact CPU performance because you are introducing more heat to the heatpipes from other components like VRMs, which would reduce the capacity for the CPU/GPU and therefore potentially reduces their performance.

Though, at least in theory, doing what you’re doing provides the best probability of having a long term reliable system if you keep the VRM etc components cooler.

i.e. I’m explaining that increasing thermal transfer away from the components doesn’t increase the thermal capacity of the cooling hardware and in this laptop you are restricted in performance by the thermal capacity of the cooling hardware, not anything else.

According to Intel’s spec, it is possible for the CPU to drop as low as 3.6Ghz on all cores and this is still seen as a ‘pass’ on this CPU.

As a company, during our testing, we’re not really happy with this CPU if it drops below 4.0Ghz on all cores in a laptop like this, so it would likely pass above this frequency, depending on the cooling.

The above would also only apply when the laptop is plugged into the wall. When on battery power, the CPU will drop its frequency more often and to lower frequencies under load using the default settings.

To the P870/P775 owners, what maximum speeds (on all cores) have you reached with the 9900, when benchmarking. Were the temperatures respectable?

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    https://hwbot.org/submission/4028585_johnksss_cinebench___r11.5_core_i9_9900k_25.11_points

https://hwbot.org/submission/418172...e_geforce_gtx_1080_(notebook_mxm)_23874_marks
    [​IMG]

jc_denton likes this.
  10. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    im capped at 4.6 ghz all cores due to VRMs / power delivery. temp wise everything is fine :)

@Papusan what are your 24/7 clocks, esp. when it comes to heavy loads?

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019