*** Official Clevo P870TM-R Owner's Lounge - Phoenix 5 ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Well, in their defense it is covered and they have vent holes on the bottom beneath the cards heat sink....Maybe they thought it would be enough?

jaybee83 and Arrrrbol like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    We both know you can only read the cores temp. Maybe they the engineers forgot to measure temps on everything else? This smells bad airflow. The ssd's also have no cooling from airflow.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  3. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've never liked the idea of putting hot components like mosfets on the bottom of the PCB, at best its going to hinder your overclocking potential or reduce the lifespan - at worst you'll burn something out under heavy load. They could have probably fitted the mosfets on top if they'd made the PCB a few mil longer.

4. Papusan

Reputations:
    At least you don't need to replace the MB:vbbiggrin: Only when rest of the power delivery on MB start burn and make some nasty smells.

Btw. Directly from Azor!
    [​IMG]

5. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    True enough :D

Spartan and Papusan like this.
  6. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    @Papusan yeah, I can only speculate at this point.
    Pretty sure one of these would have read the temps off those components.

raz8020, Papusan and Arrrrbol like this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    Dell was quick to launch 200w vBios after Ausus put out the big boy and all could see the same up again as last time (remember the 1080 bragging - The other OEM's used fake 1080). I think their engineers looked only at power delivery max out put and core temp. They simply forgot the rest in excitement:D Azor is also to blame for this mess if this is and will become a serious problem.

jclausius and Arrrrbol like this.
  8. varunreeves

varunreeves Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was really hoping someone would post atleast a quick video / guide for Prema's bios esp the overclock settings. I installed a new windows ( dual boot with linux) and with HWinfo I saw the speeds as in picture 1 below. During my dual boot install (as I had no guide to go on because the net guides are old and don't have all the menu options) I had to change some things during install eg csm, fastboot, legacy logo etc. After much trial and error I knew what options to change so I just reset the bios to default settings and just enabled/disabled those 3 - 4 things and I got my dual boot. But now on booting and running HW info I see that the max multiplier is somehow set to 35x and none of the cores go above it ! Seems like the default settings set it to 3.5GHz as its upper limit! I am trying to ask the experts here to help me get the earlier performance back. Here are the two pictures

Attached Files:

9. varunreeves

varunreeves Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ah ok nevermind. I think I figured it out. I had changed the power settings to balanced instead of max performance. Btw when in power settings 'performance' mode I give the values for cpu to 99% instead of 100% I see that the cpu frequencies go to ~3.5 GHz but giving it a 100% value lets me see it getting to 4.8Ghz on cores!

Also, can someone tell me how do I enable turbo for 2 cores ( so they go up and down as windows wants them) and lock the other 6 at 4.2 Ghz ? Which menu settings do I change to do this ? I just wanted to try it out though I don't need it seeing that cores can hit 4.8 Ghz and sustain it with good temps if just browsing or some workload (This system is really something !!!)

10. Papusan

Reputations:
    Use ThrottleStop. You can put up to 4 profiles and change them on the fly with a key combo. Read the guide. Or ask your questions in the ThrottleStop Guide thread here on NBR forum.
    How to Lower Temperatures, Stop Throttling, and Increase Battery Life

upload_2019-3-19_5-37-22.png