**Official Clevo P870TM Owner's Lounge!**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not really a marketing stunt...it is the new 'binned' by Intel CPU with Max Turbo Frequency of 5.0GHz. See https://ark.intel.com/products/148263/Intel-Core-i7-8086K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-5_00-GHz

SL is cherry picking from there, and will release their bin tiers on the 17th.

So, 5.0GHz instead of 4.7GHz stock Max Turbo Frequency, and overclockable from there. It will be interesting to see what SL gets out of them.

We are currently testing them, successfully, and will know in the next few days how far we can push the non-cherry picked pieces.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Papusan and Support.2@XOTIC PC like this.
  2. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    thing is intel could call them w/e they wanted to call them tho, i'll accept the fact that 8086k a higher binned once i see the sample in SL. i'd like to think its a higher binn with a 14nm+++ if possible but doubt it.

Georgel likes this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    We are now offering the 8086K as a configurable option :)

The 8086K is simply a good binning for the 8700K at a much lower price than many places were charging for that. It's great for notebooks as it means lower voltages for the same frequency so much cooler temps/lower power draw. I'll be going from all day 4.7Ghz to all day 4.95Ghz.

4. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Great information from all! Interested to see how the fair in everyday use.

5. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    with 8 cores just around in a few months..

6. clevo-extreme

clevo-extreme Company Representative

Reputations:
  7. clevo-extreme

clevo-extreme Company Representative

Reputations:
    not really fantastic - only one more time - manufacturers overclocked old ips up to 144hz, change firmware - and here you go - 144hz.
    so if you use fantastic display - the best one from quality is 4k uhd by Clevo - this is really fantastic :) but only 60hz.

Prema and Georgel like this.
  8. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I see

Still doesn't feel very compelling

Also, the fact that it can go a little higher than 8700K doesn't mean it has more cores or a serious improvement in performance.

A delidded 8700K would beat a non delidded 8086 anyways, so it is not like they reduced the need to delid or anything...

For sure, I agree, the 4K display is the best look-wise, but I am using a 4K 43", without scaling, on a 17" you would need scaling with anything to be readable.

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    There are always things around the corner, on the other hand 6 cores is excellent for a lot of users, even with an 8 core 6 may still be advantageous.

10. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Besides increased temps, I can't see any reason why you'd want to go for anything less than 8 cores if they'd exist, if you are a power user doing rendering and such.

Of course, if you're a very light user who only does gaming, then even 4 cores was plenty :)