*** Official Clevo P870KM1/P870KM1-G/Sager NP9876 Owner's Lounge! - Phoenix 3.0 ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Kenshin2942

Kenshin2942 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently have been having issues where my CPU is running hot inexplicably.

I’m not pushing any new boundaries or anything like most of you more skilled users but I am just seeking your input to see if you all can lend me some aid.

I am running the 7700K with a modest overclock which has never been an issue thermally until the past month.

My CPU temps idle around 50 Celsius which does not concern me as much even though I used to idle around 42 Celsius. The main problem is when put under load the system quickly climbs to around 94-96 Celsius within a short 5 minute stress test and sometimes I even notice micro stutters even though HWInfo claims no thermal or power throttling detected.

I do live in South Florida but we have air conditioning and keep the home at 23 Celsius.

I have disassembled the computer and did a thorough cleaning of the vapor chamber and fans with compressed air and isopropyl alcohol.

I have applied new Conductonaut liquid metal between the CPU die and IHS and Kryonaut between the IHS and heatsink.

I have reset the bios and ran it at defaults with negligible differences.

I am out of ideas as far as where to look next. I have always kept up maintenance on a yearly basis and have had no issues for nearly 3 years.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Did you clean out the fin stack too?

3. Kenshin2942

Reputations:
    Yes I did. Fin stacks, ventilation holes in the chassis, wiped the fan blades down with isopropyl alcohol. I took the time to make it all spotless before reassembly.

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I'd double check the fitment is still just so.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Did you use Kryonaut between the IHS and heatsink before the new paste application?

6. Kenshin2942

Reputations:
    It originally came with IC Diamond however I did switch out to Kyronaut as I was maintaining it over the years so it isn't a recent change.

7. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do you run fans on auto or full blast at FN+1?

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Have you checked the fitment like I suggested? 0.5mm can make 12C differences in temperatures.

9. Kenshin2942

Reputations:
    Yes, I took it back apart to check coverage and pressure looks good over the CPU

Yeah when I stress test I always run the fans at maximum

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Are you well versed with contact patterns? I ask because some say it's fine when it's not.