*** Official Clevo P870KM1/P870KM1-G/Sager NP9876 Owner's Lounge! - Phoenix 3.0 ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Talk to your reseller, they should be able to source parts.

2. kfxsti

kfxsti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would prefer to umm.. get them from somewhere else lol.

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Then contact an alternative local reseller and see what they say.

kfxsti likes this.
  4. kfxsti

Reputations:
    Why am I just now finding out about the paper clip mod ?!?!?!?

5. kfxsti

Reputations:
    For anyone whom has done the Liquid metal on the gpus. I aquired some foam like shown by Mr.Fox in his video . How much "tossing" around can ones laptop take before lm decides to plop out? I'm not rough on mine by any means . But it is carried in a Titan bag, and taken out and put back in A LOT during the week. And not really thrown around. But moved alot I guess would better description. I know that Clu is alot tackier than Conductonaut. And have a bunch of both. And will be using the CLU on the gpus.
    Just kind of wanting to hear some thoughts before doing this lol.
    Plan--
    Lap the shim that's installed on the CPU heatsink. Just to measure temps for the gits and shiggles.- apply Scott +33 electrical tape to area surrounding die of gpus. Creating foam dam to go around gpus.
    And btw. For anyone doing cpu delids. Scott +33 tape as a damper on the CPU after all of Intel's black adhesive removed helps in some cases from keeping the ihs pushing extra hard against the substrate and PCB of the CPU and allowing corners to bend upwards due to Skylake and kabys thin pcb.
    Tested this on a dozen or so different 7700ks I've delidded for people. And have seen it happen lol. I'm not saying it was bad . I'm not saying that pins stopped touching. But given that it did in fact raise corners over a short period of time did bother me enough to find a damping solution that can handle the heat.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Stress Tech likes this.
  6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Depends on the application of liquid metal and the exact fit of your heatsink. So you can't really guess.

kfxsti likes this.
  7. kfxsti

Reputations:
    Well, hopefully the foam will stop it. Going to try it tonight lol

Edit... Scratch all that... One of my damn 1080s just died while I was running Vsphere... So I didn't get to test the liquid metal.
    If I pull the master card out and put it the slave card on the masters spot. Leaving the master card out. The machine will boot. But.. the problem card is also the card that I found to have plastic backing on the thermal pads when I took it apart the first time..

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Ouch dude, since you have not done any liquid metal application yet I would have it looked under warranty (unless you have done anything else)

kfxsti likes this.
  9. kfxsti

Reputations:
    Nothing has been done other than the shim on the CPU heatsink.
    Something told me I should have emailed support when I found the plastic backing on the thermal pads on that card.. and the wrong size pads..
    Already got everything in place for return. And another one being sent out by Wednesday. Wouldn't bother me so bad. But I have never even gotten to use SLI on the laptop yet lol.

10. Stress Tech

Stress Tech Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just make sure you have Kapton tape in place with your foam barriers and only use the most thinnest layer of liquid metal. Not like the photos that are shown below. This was only done for experimental purposes.

I have experimented with the liquid metal on the GPU's while using the foam barrier technique many times. These are my "before & after" shots on (a hell of a lot of :eek:) Grizzly liquid metal being applied on my 1080 GTX GPU's on purposely. This is after 3 months of hard use. The laptop has been in my Titan bag while I was biking on rough terrain 4 miles a day 6 days a week for 3 months. And sometimes; I have finished some hard gaming and I have placed my laptop back in my Titan bag and set off riding to work, while the laptop was still hot. This is the after math:

*BEFORE* New low density (high temp proof) foam barrier with loads of liquid metal applied on purposely. Please take note; that there is Kapton tape underneath the foam barrier:
    Before Test Alot Of Liquid Metal.jpg

*AFTER* After 3 months of crazy travel and long gaming, there is no leaks and the GPU's are still working fine:
    After Test Used Foam Barrier.jpg

My new CPU foam barrier with Kapton tape :
    CPU Foam Barrier.jpg

My new GPU foam barriers with Kapton tape in place:
    Latest GPU Foam Barriers.jpg

DreDre, kfxsti and cj_miranda23 like this.