*** Official Clevo P870KM1/P870KM1-G/Sager NP9876 Owner's Lounge! - Phoenix 3.0 ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Were they both from the same source location?

2. kfxsti

kfxsti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's all good man. The solder came in today woohoo. But have to wait until Saturday to get to try everything out.

ole!!! likes this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Good luck :)

kfxsti likes this.
  4. kfxsti

Reputations:
    Deleted

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  5. kfxsti

Reputations:
    Well.. I guess I'll test this a different way. Does anyone have a 7700k with the shimmed heatsink done via the solder paste ? My inner nerd got the best of me and began doing research. Got my father in on it and with him being a machinist for 30+ years, we collaborated.
    Upon some research this week, we have found that this paste does ALOT better when used in a vacuum. If it weren't so late I'd post the links , testing done , etc. Have also asked questions in other places of the web to find this out.
    With that being said. Tomorrow, we are planning on doing the shim and solder pasting. BUT we are going to set the shim and paste in place then pull a vacuum on it to remove whatever air is within the paste out. If all goes well according to what we found. This would "supposedly double" the thermal conductivity of said soldering paste.
    Hence my Reason of wanting something to compare this to- someone with a shimmed solderpasted heatsink and 7700k to post some temp numbers if at all possible. If this
    Goes well, I also plan on picking up another heatsink from somewhere and trying resistance soldering and pulling a vacuum to see what happens. Resistance soldering would cut down on the heat applied to the area of heatpipes .

6. Stress Tech

Stress Tech Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry I can not help you here. I don't have the heat sink shim mod, as I am using the BitsPower Sky Lake lapped lid instead.

I understand what you mean about the vacuum effect. I love to a see someone try this with results. So keep us posted please.

Also I'd love someone to try to create a bareback CPU heat sink. A heat sink with a (roughly) 20mmx20mm 4mm+ shim welded on to the CPU heat sink. The heat sink (with 4mm+ shim in place) then connects directly to the de-lidded CPU die without using the IHS lid. Because the CPU wont have a lid in place, the CPU will have to be held down with the CPU clamp using two 1mm small shims on both sides of the clamp so that the CPU can make contact to the LGA pins. This solution "might" provide lower temps because there is no IHS lid involved... But like said; I don't think anyone has tried this yet on the P870 series heat sinks. This will make a great experiment.

kfxsti likes this.
  7. kfxsti

Reputations:
    @Stress Tech
    If I can get my hands on Two of the Heatsinks I will try this.
    So what your wanting to do is naked die ? Woohoo . Damn I forgot about trying that. Good idea . Let me make it through this experiment and get my hands on a few more Heatsinks. And I'll try it !!! I'll order a die mate to hold the CPU in place . When I find the one I'm looking for I'll post the the link to it.

Stress Tech likes this.
  8. kfxsti

Reputations:
    IMG_20180113_180923~3.jpg IMG_20180113_173845~2.jpg What paste are we wanting to test? Gelid or ic diamond? That's the only two I have large quantities of. Lol
    UPDATED !!
    IMG_20180113_173857~2.jpg

NOT pretty yet. But turned out super gap free.
    Doesn't take much paste this way either. And in the process of cleaning up the excess.

Stress Tech likes this.
  9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Better to have a little much and do some sanding rather than too little and have gaps that's for sure :)

Stress Tech and kfxsti like this.
  10. kfxsti

Reputations:
    I agree ^^^
    Was not hard at all to clean up. Actually used a Dremel to cut the chunk and polished the rest away.
    Where can I buy two-three more of these Heatsinks? I have a resistance soldering machine coming and will be able to able to silver solder these shims on with damn near pinpoint accuracy and with less heat on the Heatsink . Woohoo
    Lol we have figured some other things out that may help us all out with this. I'll be posting more here soon as the testing continues

Stress Tech likes this.