**Official Clevo P870KM1/P870KM1-G/Sager NP9876 Owner's Lounge! - Phoenix 3.0**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Phoenix, Jan 5, 2017.

1. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From @Mr. Fox statement "I tried using one of the very delicate 0.5mm thermal pads and I was pretty sure it was going to work. Well, I was totally wrong, LOL. It was enough resistance to interfere with die contact. I believe, in spite of how soft and fragile it seemed to be, when two flat surfaces came together it resisted compression too much and my temps were crazy high because the heat sink wasn't touching the GPU die. I put Conductonaut on just the die to see how it worked and planned to remove it to apply Conductonaut to the heat sink as well. When I took it apart there was no Conductonaut on the heat sink. It was bone dry."
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-overclockers-lounge.788975/page-1352

Or maybe use K5pro to seal corners. This is what I'm planning. https://www.amazon.com/viscous-ther...rd_wg=90eXW&psc=1&refRID=XZP8FRA6P351FBTM3FFR

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Stress Tech, Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes, no point going to liquid metal if you are going to destroy the contact anyway :p

Papusan likes this.
  3. Lucifer Nymphetamine

Lucifer Nymphetamine Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Vbios 1080m or for moba BIOS? '-'

Enviado de meu XT1580 usando Tapatalk

4. mobiousblack

mobiousblack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So I decided to do a clean install for my laptop when it comes to gpu drivers and then after uninstalling everything it said it failed to install anything. I tried downloading the drivers again and now nvidia drivers are not finding compatible hardware. I have tried the last 3 versions. Any idea on how I could resolve this?

I think something happened thag disabled the vga adapters I had to run it off battery to show security at the airport that it runs. This is what's showing in device manager now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  5. Stress Tech

Stress Tech Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just to inform you if you didn't know; That X-ray can not damage your laptop, but a metal detector certainly can!

X-ray cannot damage laptops link: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001027.htm

I know the airport staff are not stupid enough to scan a laptop through a metal detector as the laptop certainly contains metal. But I wonder if the X-ray box scanner can also metal detect if they enabled it some how. Did any of the airport staff carry a hand-held metal detector wand? as this also could damage electrical appliances at certain angles.

I could be wrong by all this and it might be another problem with your laptop. But I thought it be best to share, as this is how to find and resolve an hardware issue.
    best regards.

6. mobiousblack

mobiousblack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I figured out the issue one of the PCi-E express drivers got effed up somehow. Told windows to update the driver again and it solved everything.

Stress Tech likes this.
  7. Stress Tech

Stress Tech Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great. I am happy that you posted your issue and resolved it.

8. hexum23

hexum23 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm response to all the posts about liquid metal, I want to share my experience. I had it installed by HIDevolution (CPU only). I've had my p870dm3 since October and have had no issues. My laptop gets moved around a lot, and frequently gets put into my backpack right after long gaming sessions while it is still warm. I repasted everything a little over a week ago (liquid metal for CPU, kryonaut for GPUs) and am happy to report the previous liquid metal application didn't move at all. Seemed like it stayed where it should. HIDevolution used a yellow tinted tape and that seems to have worked well. I left the tape in place and did my own application and so far temps have been identical even after lots of moving the laptop around in my backpack, so I'm fairly certain I did a good job and it's staying where it belongs. I watched a lot of application videos to make sure I did it right. Putting liquid metal on is weird in that it's almost like painting, but it wasn't difficult to create a thin layer mimicking what I saw in application videos.

9. Ground_Zro

Ground_Zro Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have had no issues with liquid metal on my CPU or 1 of my GPUs, the only thing I can suggest. Squeeze it out away from the laptop and then move it to the CPU or GPU that you want to put it on with something underneath it just in case it dips prematurely. The only issue I have had was I was trying to rush and I squeezed it out over the GPU and it hit an air bubble then tiny drops sprayed out and I could not find them all

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

slacker84, hexum23, TBoneSan and 2 others like this.
  10. jcadduono

jcadduono Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I use an edge of a square cut small piece of blank printer paper to scrape excess LM off a surface and spread it around, the trick is to have a perfectly flat totally thin sheet of LM with no buildup spots on both contact surfaces, and when the surfaces touch the LM from both combine to form a very thin layer of glue between the parts IF they have perfect flat contact. Without a perfectly flat contact area between both it can be pretty dangerous if your laptop bumps into anything, causing any excess LM to bead up and roll off into who knows where.
    I found that if I only had a very thin sheet on 1 contact surface that it wouldn't spread to the heatsink copper even under quite a bit of pressure, but with both surfaces painted they attract each other.
    When doing the CPU, a thin strip of Scotch 33 to cover the exposed metal components beside the die works well, but unless you use something like permatex silicone to seal the entirety of the IHS to the PCB you still risk a bead of LM escaping, and they really do slide around like they're on ice until they reach a metal component. :p

If I do ever try LM on a GPU I would probably create a permatex black silicone wall around the die and copper area, even if it doesn't seal, its variances in texture could still usefully catch errant beads of LM.
    ^ I'm gonna need a better GPU heatsink or some copper shims, already have enough trouble trying to get Kryonaut to touch!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 5:40 PM
    hexum23 likes this.