**Official Clevo P870KM1/P870KM1-G/Sager NP9876 Owner's Lounge! - Phoenix 3.0**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Phoenix, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Ground_Zro

Ground_Zro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When I opened her to replace the pads, I'll check how the new thermal paste looks, if it's still bad what would you recommend? I have some copper shims of various thickness but I do not know what else could be done on that part

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:

Try mount with no thermal pads and see what happen?

3. Ground_Zro

Reputations:
    Are you thinking the pads are too high, making a bad connection between the die and the heatsink? I mean I can look at it but I'm not sure what I can actually figure out from that test.

4. Ground_Zro

Reputations:
    Ok so I ran the test again, 3d mark fire strike ultra 4k stress test. 95.8% (need 97% to be considered a pass) I was at stock clocks for CPU and GPUs and at the end of the test I was at CPU 63C GPUs 83C and 82C. I turned off SLI and passed first try all stock clocks CPU 62C GPUs 65C and 59C. So with SLI on I can not pass but off I pass fine, I guess it is the heat even though my GPUs are not thermal throttling?

5. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    What I think might be happening that you continually fail the stress test, is because of pascal's temperature scaling. So the card might work fine but in the long run 3dmark considers the drop in performance to be too much.

Have you removed the plastic baffle blocking airflow to the middle fan from the bottom cover? Use a cooling pad and/or elevate the back of your laptop? What is your ambient temperature?

6. Ground_Zro

Reputations:
    Yeah I am thinking the same thing, I have not removed the bottom plastic piece yet (does that make a big difference, I know more air more cooling but is it a decent improvement?), I have the back elevated and I always use a cooling pad. The ambient is 72F I think that's around 22C.

One more thing, are those temperatures pretty normal. Single GPU low 60's C under load and in SLI GPUs low 80's C under load?

7. Mobius 1

Reputations:

Single GPU 60c is fine, with two cards the heat output is almost 2x (480w limit total system power consumption).

You should definitely open up the bottom plastic piece. Also consider putting tape between the fan and the fins, so you create a seal. Just a small strip of tape on top is enough to test.

Credit to @Ted@HIDevolution and @Phoenix

Skip to 5:00, you don't necessarily have to remove that much material, but just enough so that the middle fan is unobstructed.

Papusan and Phoenix like this.
  8. Ground_Zro

Reputations:
    Oh wow that was extremely easy and there is a ton of hidden vents, that will definitely help. As far as the fans go, I'm not sure where the tape should go for sure though? I really appreciate all the help !

9. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    Tape should cover the gap between fan and fins.

fan -> gap -> fins

Stress Tech likes this.
  10. Ground_Zro

Reputations:
    So where the red lines are? [​IMG]