*** Official Clevo P870DM2/P870DM3 (Sager NP9873/NP9872) Owner's Lounge! - The Phoenix 2 is here! **

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    LOL. Ok. Because I was over here scratching my head for a moment. :)

Papusan and Prema like this.
  2. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Wot.

You can't disable SLI without reboots in notebooks (without a registry hack or driver mod), so for it to turn off SLI on reboot... that cannot be something with your power plans.

Feel free to send me one to test with.

And a notebook to accompany it.

I mean, you know... valuable feedback! etc! :D

Ashtrix, Papusan and 1nstance like this.
  3. Harleyquin07

Harleyquin07 エミヤ

Reputations:
    Been a while since I posted because I've spent over a month on the Witcher 3 with the new system.

I don't really use it much apart from gaming, but it's met my (admittedly low expectations) since it arrived around the end of September.

List of cons compared to my old 170HM3:

1. I hate the new design for the fingerprint reader. The older versions may have been large but they got the job done. I tried registering my prints with this new one and gave up after half an hour of frustration. Just as well Windows 10 forces most accounts to use a password anyway for security.

2. Fan noise on full blast is extremely loud as noted earlier in October. I got used to it eventually and found ways to mitigate it by turning up the speaker volume when playing.

3. I'm still new to SLI systems and having to learn how the profiles work is an inconvenience. The performance of the system itself is first-rate though and I'm not doing much else bar the Witcher 3 so still a while to go with the learning curve.

What I like about the system

1. The internal sound system (hardware and software) is miles better than my previous model. Subwoofer technology certainly improved over the 5-6 years since my last purchase. Probably best to hook it up to my external speakers in future to improve the experience but it's fine for now.

2. 4k screen is great. Huge difference in quality compared to my previous 1920x1080 screen. 1080 SLI means I can play most games out now at highest visual quality without really worrying about slow FPS.

3. 1080 SLI. Not much to complain about once I've turned it on and the profiles are properly set.

4. I like the feel of the keyboard. I'm used to the layout and the keys make a satisfying noise when I'm typing.

5. Windows 10 Pro needs a few tweaks off the shelf but otherwise it's been impressively stable. I've had just the one GPU related crash playing the Witcher 3 and the system managed to right itself without much intervention on my part.

6. Dual Samsung 950 Pro drives and the USB 3.0 ports are much faster than the equivalents on my old system. Not sure if there's any software out there that can help with the maintenance of the former though.

Retailer-specific comments

1. System was delivered early despite my expectations. Slight miscommunication regarding one tiny aspect of my order which led to it being manufactured and delivered early on schedule, but owing to the recent bankruptcy of the Hanjin shipping line I accepted the prompt e-mail communication concerning the issue. Kudos to XMG-Schenker for the stellar work they did on my system and fingers crossed I won't ever have to return the system for repairs!

gLOB, izombot, Georgel and 1 other person like this.
  4. Eurocom Support

Eurocom Support Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes we have thermal sensors inside so they only run if needed. Fans are quiet.

DreDre, Prema, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  5. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Bro tbh, it ran pretty cool in game.. Didn't feel any heat from the keyboard or vents.. So yes they probably cherry picked it..
    Well you can always volunteer to help Prema in its development.. GTEvo was in a similar position and he did that and got it in the end

Oh look what we have here... Its our dear friend who got a 6700 with 1080 SLI.. Hope the CPU bottleneck hasn't killed you yet

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Papusan likes this.
  6. Harleyquin07

Harleyquin07 エミヤ

Reputations:
    No CPU bottleneck as far as I can tell. Witcher 3 performance is comparable with all the benchmarks I've seen online. Novigrad has easily the worst performance spikes but I'm still seeing 35-40fps consistently in the city areas. Everywhere else runs at 50-60fps.

If there is a bottleneck on my system, it's going to be the same with the 6700k and no amount of overclock is going to save it from replacement eventually.

Since you're being an abrasive rake, anything else you'd like to troll me about?

Donald@zTecpc and 1nstance like this.
  7. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Nope, not really... I just like taking the piss out of you since you went against all the advice here and went with a 6700 with 1080 SLI and 4K... I know you didn't want to tweak your system etc etc but then you mentioned you had to tweak the 1080s to make SLI work properly..

Don't take offense from what I'm saying, just teasing ya most of the time... Probably doesn't help but your case is one of those that makes my PC master race elitist bug come out a lot lol..

I've been around the forums for 8+ years in one capacity or another, seen quite a bit... We'll know in a year or 2 if I was wrong or you are correct.. The good thing about the P870 is that you can fix that if needed, don't have the choice with BGA..

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    My system does not throttle the CPU when SLI is engaged at all. There is no firmware lock like that.

9. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    I think what Rage Set is trying to say is that when 1080SLI +6700K is pulling quite a lot of power, some throttling occurs.. So lets say 6700K running flat out at 4.2GHz and 1080SLI engaged in a game like BF1..

Unless of course temps are the issue.. What is your take on the situation Meaker?

10. GTVEVO

GTVEVO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thats great, but mine does at only 4.0ghz so has SAGER pushed their own EC possibly?

hmscott and TomJGX like this.