*** Official Clevo P870DM2/P870DM3 (Sager NP9873/NP9872) Owner's Lounge! - The Phoenix 2 is here! **

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Aug 3, 2016.

1. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    The only difference I really see here is the 6700K being much better than the 6820HK, honestly.

If we can't upgrade, then the only benefit is part interchange-ability. For warranty/etc purposes on a GPU, this is great, since you don't lose your whole board/CPU. But for example the GT72 cooled the CPU pretty well and the GPUs it had pretty well too. The RAM support is about the same. Power support doesn't directly require the socketed chips. Right now, the only selling point I'm going to be recommending people (until proven otherwise) is that the CPUs in the sockets are much better in terms of speeds, and that you can upgrade from a lower end GPU to a higher end one.

I dislike everything being soldered on principle, and because nobody would stand for it on a desktop, but I cannot sit here and tell someone who doesn't care for a CPU beyond say.... a 6820HK, that they should spend $300+ more for sockets, when they can't even expect upgrades. It's the same reason I often find myself forced to tell people to buy nVidia cards for performance. I couldn't tell someone to buy a Fury X over a 980Ti. I couldn't tell someone to buy a 390X over a 980 if they found a 980 for $430 or so (which happened sometimes). I couldn't tell someone outside of the US to buy a 390X if it costed the same as a 980 either, because AMD cards are MUCH more expensive outside of the US, moreso than nVidia cards. If there's little to not benefit for all the extra $$ then what can I do?

Now if the prices went down and the benefits were worth it... that's a different story. If there's a $300 markup for the same specs with sockets, but the socketed machine has a 120Hz screen and the cooling is MUCH better and the card is maybe superclocked? Cool. I understand that a bigger, beefier system will generally cost more, but I've just build up a P650RG with a 6820HK and 32GB of RAM and an OS and 3 years warranty for $2556 on HIDevolution. I then built up a P750DM with the 6700K but the other specs the same and it's $2931... and it's not even using the 330W adapter (that sends it to $2996) and it has worse battery life (as no MUX switch). It's a tough sell. A REALLY tough sell. Someone has to really want modularity and a good CPU for me to give this a good sell. I mean I'm pretty good at informing people that a good CPU is a very good idea, but still.

2. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    i'd like to stay positive thanks :D

3. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't think it'd only be clevo's fault if you won't be able to upgrade your P870DM...
    the 1070/1080 appear to be custom MXM boards : if only screw holes changed than yes this would be horribly wrong..

4. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    Since nVidia didn't release reference MXM boards for Pascal, if Clevo and MSI didn't make reference-style MXM cards, it was up to them. I think something like the 1080 being out-of-spec for size might be a bit more on the unavoidable side, but anything else is really them.

Either way, I'm not trying to shoot down anyone. I'm just being fair all round. If something needs praising it'll be done. If something needs criticism then it'll be done. I consider myself an enthusiast, but I can't ignore everyone's views. As long as it isn't downright idiotic, I'll consider it and try to see from their point of view. Otherwise I can't be fair.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. irfan wikaputra

irfan wikaputra Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There is so much picture leaks
    And even that giant "heat plate" is revealed
    Why isn't there a benchmark yet :(
    @GenTechPC
    Any clues in release date?

Edit : why isn't there benchmark of mobile 1080 single and in SLI
    @Cloudfire where are you the king of leaks :D

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    jaybee83 and spmo like this.
  6. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    This was mostly due to NVIDIA and believe me the 'big guys' where literally fighting for us behind the scenes:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...notebook-thoughts.790357/page-2#post-10236519

If MSI and CLEVO wouldn't have taken initiative and designed their own cards (which cost them a small fortune), MXM would already be dead by now and even this refresh would be BGA like 'ALL' other companies are going to offer them to us.

Yeah, I can't be the source of of these leaks, they would kill me.
    Already talking too much in order to keep the vibe positive...but luckily there are always our 'Chinese' brothers who don't give a '....' about NDAs. :D

EDIT: Here some good news to cheer you up:

The new 120Hz FHD screen is an AHVA (IPS-ish) screen and can also be used to upgrade current models using the existing cable. :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    Red Line, Georgel, ajc9988 and 14 others like this.
  7. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    Okay, well that's good to know, at least. I feel better directing the annoyance toward the jolly green rip-off-ers.

Isn't that screen also 94% NTSC gamut and 5ms response time? That's pretty great news. It should have gsync certification too, right? I bet all the DM owners would love having one of those as an upgrade =D.

DreDre likes this.
  8. geniusfb

geniusfb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is that 120hz, 5ms screen gonna be standard for all the high end notebooks?

Boring boring Chelsea

Red Line and Georgel like this.
  9. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    I doubt it. Probably a paid add-on for most. But it'd be a good option for most of the high end ones.

Georgel likes this.
  10. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    As usual with Clevo there will be a whole bunch of official and unofficial screen options and each reseller decides their own standard configuration based on their importers choices as well as their own sourcing of parts.

Georgel, ajc9988 and oveco like this.