*** Official Clevo P870DM2/P870DM3 (Sager NP9873/NP9872) Owner's Lounge! - The Phoenix 2 is here! **

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Aug 3, 2016.

1. nukke

nukke Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    From what I understand, at least with the 9260AC vs 9560AC cards, the "problem" might be depending on the interface type. The 9560AC is a CNVio which I believe requires CPU-level support, whereas the 9260AC is PCIe, which is independent of the CPU and uses the PCIe bus instead.

I can't find much info on the AX200, or if there are different versions available either. Similarly, I'm wondering if something like a Coffee Lake on a modded P870DM2/3 would support it. It could be a limitation of the Z170?

EDIT: Looking up the AX200 card on Intel Ark, it seems like it's PCIe so I want to believe it should work on the P870 since it's not tied to a feature on the CPU.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/189347/intel-wi-fi-6-ax200.html

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes, there is no lock out, so long as it's standard PCI-E you are good.

3. nukke

Reputations:
    Update on the Intel AX200 card: it works out of the box on Windows 10 and Linux. It's as plug-and-play as they come and performance is great.

joluke likes this.
  4. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Which router do you have? Buying a router that supports the norm ax is a plus and you'll enjoy it more

5. nukke

Reputations:
    TP-Link AX6000. My bottleneck at this point is my connection at home (200Mbps) and the drives on my home server so I haven't really maxed the AX capabilities on this card, but I do have another computer with an AX card that I'll run iperf just for benchmark purposes.

joluke likes this.
  6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Good news, might be tempted at some point myself.

joluke likes this.
  7. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Me too but I need a router as well. Have a Asus RT-AC68U currently

8. Gascio

Gascio Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,

I am new to Notebook review. I have just bought a second hand P870DM3-G with an i7 7700k and a single gtx 1080. Not received it yet, but I already have some questions I hope you can answer to.
    I have just noticed that the notebook I have bought has a z270 chipset and not a z170 one according to the specification posted by the seller. Does it change anything in terms of any potential upgreadability I might consider in the future?
    Second question regards the Bios. I asked the seller if he could reach out the company that assembled the notebook to know if they could provide a Prema Bios (read pretty much everywhere that it is a must-have for an overclockable processor with heating tendencies like the 7700k). The seller told me that he has personally unlocked all the Bios features. I have no idea if that sounds likely or not. Maybe he just had it installed from factory and is just taking credit?

Disclaimer: I am a noob, some questions may be silly.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  9. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If it has Z270 its a P870KM. DM3 is Z170. Not really much difference at all.

Ask where the unit is from. If they bought it from a Prema partner, good, contact Prema. Eurocom or self unlocked bios - not so good. The BIOS is not really what matters anyway, you would overwrite it with the custom BIOS to upgrade to 8th or 9th gen CPUs - but for full performance you need the EC firmware that comes with Premamod. Though, a high clocked 6 core runs into heat issues on the stock heatsink, let alone the 8 core. If you're not going to get into delid, liquid metal, or heatsink mods a CPU upgrade isn't worthwhile IMO.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Gascio likes this.
  10. Gascio

Gascio Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick answer bennyg. So the notebook comes from NovaCustom. Dutch company selling Clevo in Europe. I even visited their website but didn't realize I was directly buying from them on Ebay. So far great communication with them.
    As for the chipset I have been told to check it as I receive the laptop as it had previously sent to Clevo and they changed both mobo and gpu. Maybe they put a z270 on it, worst case scenario they made a typo in the specifications and I'll get a z170, not much difference as you said, so it's OK anyway.

Edit: wrt delidding and liquid metal, I am considering it. Just waiting to see how it currently manages the heat, but if in the future I will consider a six core upgrade I will absolutely delid and apply liquid metal.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    bennyg likes this.