*** Official Clevo P870DM2/P870DM3 (Sager NP9873/NP9872) Owner's Lounge! - The Phoenix 2 is here! **

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Everything sucks compared to a proper mechanical keyboard.

Papusan likes this.
  2. Benmaui

Benmaui Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    After almost 3 years of enjoying the beast, for the first time today I smelt that smell of really hot plastic, opened her up, dusted like I do every couple months, closed her back up and launched PUBG, while monitoring temps, and smell, temps settled at 87°c for GPU with fn+1, and around 66°c for the CPU and that hot plastic smell was back, fans seem to be running smoothly, although CPU fan seems to be blowing quite a bit less air out than the GPU fans, noisy as ever though, do you guys have any idea's? I'm thinking about repasting tomorrow, should I check anything else while in there? I'll will probably remove fans to make sure no dust is blocking air flow, anyone ever have the P870DM 2 do this to them? I would greatly appreciate any help or pointers .

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Might want to repaste and ensure the pads are in good condition.

Benmaui likes this.
  4. Benmaui

Reputations:
    Repasted with thermal grizzly kryonaut, and yeah the pads look like they might be on their last legs, I have no clue what I need to replace it with either, but neither seem to be the culprit it would appear the dc in jack and the converter box ac-200 melted a little, replacing the cable itself, but I was unable to find the laptop component anywhere in France, hopefully this will suffice, anyone know what part I need and more importantly were I can order it from ?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I would order a fresh ac-200 box from your reseller.

Benmaui likes this.
  6. Benmaui

Reputations:
    Ordered one, I do not see any damage on the laptop power jack side, as it is mostly metallic, so hopefully that will sort the problem out, do you have any recommendation for the pads required for a T shaped heatsink? what was in my laptop looked like it was some sort of putty on the vrm's and vram, although it looked more like dried clay at this point, I'm guessing that is no good at all :D
    Might just be easier to use whatever sort of thermal putty was used in the first place; any idea of what may have been used?

7. Benmaui

Reputations:
    Ok I'm gonna assume that putty is just some sort of factory thermal paste (guessing K5 pro https://www.amazon.fr/K5-PRO-thermi...aquettes/dp/B01E3WXWIW/ref=pd_sbs_201_1/261-6 or something very similar), so question is, is it really necessary? it was a real mess under the heatsink, I replaced the TIM on the die itself, and put the heatsink back on, now I'm thinking I should have removed it all and applied some thermal grizzly, or gelid instead, could it be they used that putty/paste to fill a gap between the gpu and the heatsink? I'm kind of poking around in the dark here, I don't know much about these things, if I were to go for pads what thickness should I get ?

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I've only padded the vapor chamber.

9. nukke

nukke Newbie

Reputations:
    Any idea if the P870DM2 supports the new AX200 cards? Either Intel or the Killer AX1650?

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Good question, not sure if they require the chipset side of things from the latest generation.

Intel don't mention it in their product briefs.

nukke likes this.