*** Official Clevo P870DM2/P870DM3 (Sager NP9873/NP9872) Owner's Lounge! - The Phoenix 2 is here! **

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not enough testing yet to be sure but usually the physical side is the main problem.

2. SFVogt

SFVogt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Michael Tarr, FTW_260, bennyg and 2 others like this.
  3. Dialup David

Dialup David Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone tested the new 32GB DDR4 SODIMM's on this machine? I feel like they should work, but not 100% sure if it would be dependent on the CPU or the Z170.

4. Dialup David

Reputations:
    @Prema Anyone know where the best place to get an updated unlocked Prema bios is? I have a EVOC machine from HIDEvolution, but am not sure the process. I'd obviously like the upgrade option for the 8700/9900K parts. I'm assuming my BIOS is too old to run that out of the box?
    [​IMG]

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You would contact EVOC.

6. Dialup David

Reputations:
    They can't verify the serial number and I wasn't the original purchaser, so I don't have the order number. SOL I guess unless I can pay someone to make one?

7. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    The system was bought from Sager and is not an EVOC. You bought your system from a guy who bought it from another guy, for whom I had made a personal Mod. :)

That being said there is no update.
    At that time and for that model I just backported newer code into the best base for overclocking, so you can just ignore the revision name as it means nothing. :)

8/9th gen on Z170 required changes to the CPU socket, so it was never offered as an official update. Also board power hardware and cooling is too limited, so with a non-Prema firmware it throttles so bad that you can as well just keep using an older CPU. In our internal testing with a Prema Mod, which does not throttle except for thermal, the system simply makes a hard shut down, whenever the CPU crossed hardware limits on stock 9900K clocks. I would have loved to but it would have been irresponsible to make something like that widely available.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  8. Dialup David

Reputations:
    I guess I never even looked at the back of the machine (doh!). I'll be liquid cooling this machine (possibly chilled water), so thermals shouldn't be an issue for whatever I throw in there. Power delivery is what it is, I'd rather be power limited but getting the most I can out of the platform. By socket modification you mean the masking of the LGA pads right? I'm no stranger to any of that. If you'd be willing to extend me an experimental version I'd gladly pay you for it. I'm fully aware of the risks and liability I'm taking on for this, as this was my complete intent when buying the machine. Thank you! :)

So let me ask you this, as you mentioned you'd backpacked the newer code (I'm assuming microcode and EC firmware?), what would be the extent to the supported CPU's I could install assuming I was capable of performing the modification to the socket? 8700K? 9900K? If power delivery is really that big of an issue I'd probably shoot for a 9700K.

Please let me know your thoughts, I'm more than capable and willing to be a guinea pig for this.

9. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Sorry, it's not a money question. If something can't live up to our quality standards it won't leave beta testing.

There are plenty of threads on this forum offering alternatives for 'guinea pigs'...

Michael Tarr, Jaces9900 and joluke like this.
  10. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations: