*** Official Clevo P870DM/Sager NP9870-G Owner's Lounge - Phoenix has arisen! ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NordicRaven, Sep 22, 2015.

1. alastairpei

alastairpei Newbie

Reputations:
    I redid the thermal paste and reseated the thermal pads. Temps went way back down afterwards, but I think the main culprit may have been a thermal pad which wasn't coming into contact with the VRMs.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Sounded like it might have been, thanks for confirming :)

Papusan likes this.
  3. Uftherr

Uftherr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know where the friggin BIOS chip is on this thing? I'm trying to reflash a messed up BIOS using a black CH341A spi flasher... The only thing I found was a chip below the GPU fan, but I saved the .bin file from it and it only had 1MB size.

4. Mangix

Mangix Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Underneath the keyboard on the other side.

edit: Sorry, underneath the trackpad.

Uftherr and DaMafiaGamer like this.
  5. Uftherr

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot... This stuff is where my knowledge ends... I accidentally did some weird stuff with the 1MB one, clicked on program and it started writing something. Sure hope it still works :p And there was another one right next to it, attaching the flasher to it made the fan run for a second. When this thing is fixed, I'll either read an entire book about this stuff to become a guru, or stay away from this stuff.
    The one in the red circle?
    dis uan2.jpg

6. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No! Do not flash that!! It’s directly underneath the trackpad, you have to take the whole palmrest off underneath you will find the bios chip.

Papusan and Uftherr like this.
  7. Uftherr

Reputations:
    That's pretty annoying. I'm not doing that today.
    Well, thanks a lot! Greatly appreciate it.
    One more thing - would you mind telling me where you have your knowledge from? I'd like to learn more about this, but I don't really know where to start.

8. Mangix

Mangix Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Broke my Clevo. So I have to know.

The 1MB chip is for something else. If you messed with that you might be screwed.

9. Uftherr

Reputations:
    I powered it on and it behaved just the way it did before I messed with it - bootloop, but the key combinations such as full blast fans were still usable.
    Tomorrow I'll have to figure out how to get to that BIOS chip which will probably cost me a few hours, then I'll see whether it was in vain or not! ;)

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  10. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Firstly I checked the size of the chip, you can usually depict this from the model names written on the chips. Also a key thing to look for is writing next to the chip. Something like U1 or U2 are usually the main bios chips.

How do I know? Well I’ve been working with laptops since I was around 13, now I’m 20 doing micro-soldering on even smaller components, mainly iPhones (u2 charging ic’s and touch ic’s in the plus models) as they are prone to break easier than the rest (blame it on apples trash bendable aluminium).

Anyway I hope that helps, if you did flash that chip you may be ****ed. I REALLY hope you didn’t :)