*** Official Clevo P870DM/Sager NP9870-G Owner's Lounge - Phoenix has arisen! ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NordicRaven, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Awesome that you have SLI. This makes it easier. It is very unlikely both have died simultaneously.

Test them one at a time. Remove the slave first. If it has the same problem, remove the master GPU and install the one from the slave MXM slot in the master slot. Test again. If the problem is the same with one GPU no matter which GPU is in the master slot, then it is not very likely a GPU failure.

For the basic display output testing you do not need to install heat sinks. You're only looking to verify if one of the GPUs is dead and only need to see if it boots and operates. You should be able to tell in 30 seconds or less, unless you cleared the CMOS, which might take a minute or two for the first POST. (Do not use the system normally without the GPU heat sinks, as that can fry your good GPU if one is bad.)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    jclausius, Papusan and Arrrrbol like this.
  2. Damin

Damin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello all has anyone ever tried using 2 x MSI 980 (LAPTOP) cards in the P870DM G 20180801_163513.jpg

3. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would not recommend the MSI 980 - they are barely more powerful than 980Ms when in SLI. Also, remember SLI scaling is very hit or miss. In every day use a single 1070 would be a faster card. If you want to try SLI though, then you can get 2 1070s working in there with some minor modifications.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/p870dm-g-1070-sli-upgrade-teaser.812736/

4. Damin

Reputations:
    See I have 3 of the MSI cards available so it's worth a try for me I just put one in a p150sm and vs a 980m stock it's over 2000 points more on a single GPU no OC ... I'd say it's a good 20 - 30 % stronger possibly

5. Damin

Reputations:
  6. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    I've been banging my head on this BIOS issue for a week now.

I picked up a used P870DM-G (specs in sig) a few weeks back and it was running 99+ right out of the box and throttling down to 3.5-3.8 on all cores running Wprime1024 and CB R15

I delidded w/ conductonaut and a lapped Bitspower SL, switched to Kryonaut from nanogrease since pressure was good and temps obviously dropped drastically (30+) so when it was running stock on all cores temps sat in the 60's/low 70s so onto the
    undervolt and finding the sweet spot for a 100-150 uv and stable multipliers and thus commenced the head->wall.

While it isn't the magic of @Prema :) , the bios has some OC controls, but it will not allow me to set a negative core offset for some reason even though it clearly says it has a range of -500 to +500 mv

The BIOS allows me to adjust adaptive or static, Multipliers, PL settings, memory timings, use XMP and more but there is no way to inputt a negative core offset to undervolt. I can set a positive core offset
    no problem.

Right now I'm using the newest Intel XTU and it is working as intended and I'm @ 4.4 w/ a -110uv and fantastic temps. But I'd rather set it in the BIOS.

I've included some screen shots of the BIOS.

Am I missing some simple key command/combo to enter the mystical land of a negative core offset? :)

@Mr. Fox

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Arrrrbol likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    It seems you lack the prefix + / - for offset voltage. Use ThrottleStop and put your undervolt/overclock. And make a scheduled task. You find a guide (first page) in TS guide thread if you not know how to put it.

Edit. You can as well put up 4 different Power profiles (clock speed- voltage) with ThrottleStop. And easy switch between them with a key command on the fly.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    electrosoft and Arrrrbol like this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The KM introduced the +/- selector in the normal bios.

Arrrrbol and electrosoft like this.
  9. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    Yeah, I’ve used TS off and on since the m15x days with my 920xm when we first discovered how insanely overclockable the 920xm was. Good times.

I wanted to double check and make sure *I* wasn’t stupidly missing some esoteric key combo to activate or input a negative value since the bios says it has a +/-500 offset range and the bios has so many other options for control. I guess if no one knows it must be a non @Prema bios limitation on the DM even with a partially unlocked bios. Ah well.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    As I said, it's only been unlocked on the standard bios since the KM series.

electrosoft likes this.