*** Official Clevo P775DM2/3(-G)/P75xDM2(-G) (Sager NP9152/NP9172) WINGMAN 2.0/BATMAN 3.0 Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I managed to take it's effects out eventually.

My procedure:

Install iobit uninstaller

Click to uninstall CCC from iboit

Wait.

Computer asks to shut down.

shut down

take battery out

Take RAM out

Keep power button pressed for 1 minute

Insert RAM

Insert Battery

power on

Don't OC it.

This should fix the really loud fans for most use cases.

ZeroEx likes this.
  2. ZeroEx

ZeroEx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow, so far no fan issues, but my guess is that the CC controls the on-the-fly UP and DOWNclocking of the system right?
    If I run into any issues at all I'll consult these guides, they've been very informative and helpful ^^'

3. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Glad to help!

CCC only control fans speeds, and keyboard light.

It's better without it, CCC is too sensitive.

4. syscrusher

syscrusher Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Greetings, all

I'm an engineer considering a P775DM3 build from HIDevolution, to use as a mobile 3D workstation and general development workstation (data analysis, coding, etc., including lots of virtual machines). I also am a gamer, but will only be gaming on the laptop when I travel because at home I have a tower rig and large screen.

I'm spec'ing out a 4K display, 2 TB Samsung 960 Pro SSD (single SSD, because RAID 0 is against my religion), and a 7700K CPU, 32 GB RAM, and a GTX 1080 for use as both a GPU and a compute engine for CUDA programming. The HIDevolution folks supply Prema BIOS standard. I'll overclock, but conservatively because I need reliability more than I need that last 3% of performance.

I've seen a lot of reviews of this chassis (here and elsewhere), but not too much about the quality and volume of the onboard speakers. Usually I use headphones when I care about audio quality, but sometimes I do presentations in a small conference room where the projector doesn't have an audio amp. Can anyone comment on the built-in speakers and amp on this machine?

I'm also wondering if anyone can tell me the approximate power draw of one of these at idle or during light "office productivity" work? I know that will vary depending on power settings, overclocking, etc. I'm just looking for a rough estimate -- is it 40W, 100W, etc.?

Thanks for any comments, and anything else anyone would add for someone with my requirements considering this machine and the HIDevolution supplier.

P.S. -- I'm new to the NBR site, so if I have put this in an inappropriate topic, please let me know that and I'll repost elsewhere. Thanks.

Prema and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  5. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    great choice. HIDevolution offer the best configurations, you can get a factory delidded 7700K from them and by delidding, the temps usually drop by a good 10C and since it's done by them, you don't lose the CPU warranty as opposed to delidding it yourself.

That laptop should suit your needs perfectly, don't forget, if you email donald@hidevolution.com and give him your NBR forums username you can get a small discount but you need to have at least 5 posts to be eligible

Mr. Fox, syscrusher and dm477 like this.
  6. dm477

dm477 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have pretty much the same configuration (with the exception of 7700K) and I use my machine for exactly the same stuff that is 3D workstation, neural network and graph theory analysis, coding and some games like Witcher 3, Battlefield 1, Mass Effect 3, and Dragon Age Inquisition. I don't have a desktop so I use the Clevo machine as my primary pc. It handles everything without breaking a sweat. You become so used to the performance that it becomes pain to use other machines. I can hardly use my MacBook Air now without cringing at the performance (or rather the lack of it!). Heck I even lug it around to cafes for my thesis writing sessions! You really do miss the performance.

Mind you, I haven't overclocked the machine because I haven't felt the need. I don't have the prema bios but from what people have said here, it appears to be your best bet if you want to extract all the performance. Speakers are absolutely fine for general presentations and meetings in small room though you might have an issue if you got a room full of people. For instance, in my lectures, I prefer plugging in the speakers rather than rely on in-built ones. I haven't measured the power draw at idle or light use but I would be surprised if it is much north of 150W. But like I said, I haven't measured it.

7. syscrusher

Reputations:
    Thanks, @Phoenix. Donald is actually who I spoke with yesterday. I was impressed that he was both willing and able to answer some pretty detailed technical questions.

The one thing on which I wasn't clear, and I'll ask you since you're a Prema BIOS wiz, is how the clocking of the CPU, and the fan speed, behave when the system is lightly loaded or idle -- assuming I did not reboot to change OC settings in BIOS. Donald seemed to imply a fixed clock speed, which would mean I have a CPU running full-tilt even when I'm just editing code or doing something else lightweight. I need max performance for things like lightmap baking (which takes up to 6.5 hours on my current machine, a 2013 Macbook Pro), but even my MBP is idle when I'm just typing along or reading email.

Is it that the CPU executes a HALT instruction on idle cores and waits for an interrupt? Part of my confusion probably stems from lack of knowledge of Windows kernel's scheduling algorithms. I come from a Linux background and although I know how to use Windows I'm not an expert yet. On my new machine I've chosen to boot Windows and run Linux in virtual machines for two reasons. First, some of my 3D tooling needs DX11, and the only way to get DX11 in a virtual machine is if the underlying physical host is also running Windows. Second, from experience I know that my data analysis code -- which is Linux based -- not only runs very well in a VM, but also (based on early testing) seems to be compatible with the new Ubuntu subsystem in Windows 10.

8. syscrusher

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. It's good to hear from someone with similar requirements on the hardware I'm considering. (EDIT -- I forgot to mention that my laptop also is, and will remain, my primary machine, so we are similar in usage.)

Understood. Usually my presentations don't even include audio, and if they do, it's in a room with an audio system provided. I was just looking at the edge cases of a small conference room with no AV, and I'm using my portable 1080p projector which...ahem..."has audio, for sufficiently small values of the variable audio." ;) Great picture, ****ty sound, IOW.

I've got an inline wattmeter here, so if I buy one of these I'll measure it and post. :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    dm477 likes this.
  9. brajesh143

brajesh143 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    can u tell me the max rpm of cpu and gpu fans ? in clevo p775dm3

10. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    depends on the luck of the draw, if you get a delidded CPU which HIDevolution offer, then chances are that your temps will be lower, thus making the fans spin less often

Like for me, I got a Silicon Lottery 6700K rated @ 4.8 GHz (in a desktop with good cooling though) so on a laptop, I am able to run @ 4.6 GHz 24/7 with 0 throttling and max temps in games @ 82C

but during my normal day to day use which is just browsing the forums, watching a movie now and then, and loading 30 tabs in chrome (checking for multiple software updates at a time), the only time I hear the fans is when I open those 30 tabs in one shot. otherwise its literally silent

people who complain about heat either didn't undervolt like I did and / or got one of those overheating CPUs

go with silicon lottery if you got the dough or at least go with the standard 6700K but delidded

silicon lottery highly recommended........

an old post I made before.....

First system I had was a barebone Clevo P870DM-G with a 6700K that couldn't even run stable at 4.2 GHz x4 (on all cores that is). Next system which was a Eurocom Sky X9 also had a 6700K, this time a bit better, it was able to do 4.3 GHz stable.

I have seen many users here complain about high temps even at stock speeds. The 6700K is a hit or miss, 50-50 chance to get a good one. Even if you don't want to overclock, spending a bit more to get a Silicon Lottery one ensures your CPU will run cooler overclocked or not. Giving you better thermals and longevity since the CPU won't be running hot constantly.
    This Silicon Lottery CPU I got (rated to run @4.8GHz in a desktop) can run @ 4.7 GHz not very stable pr 4.6 GHz stable all day long with max temps of 85C no matter what I throw at it.

Mr. Fox and syscrusher like this.