*** Official Clevo P770ZM / Sager NP9772 and P770ZM-G / Sager NP9773 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejager

thejager Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    cool...thanks

i was just about to say that...i tried speccing them out the same and the prices were different.. i honestly dont remember which was higher and it wasnt a lot but still..

i appreciate your answer

I am almost ready to pull the trigger...

2. pukemon

pukemon are you unplugged?

Reputations:
    The s models usually contain more and/or upgraded components. And price is usually a better deal on a s model compared to one manually upgraded.

3. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    This is exactly right. If you took a non S and S model and put the same specs in both, you would have identical computers, but the S would cost less.

4. CHRiTTeR

CHRiTTeR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just got mine... (P771ZMwith 4790k and 970m)

Was excited at first but then i started testing and results seem a bit alarming to me... Idle temperatures (12-20% CPU usage) is showing 60-72°C (at room temperature less than 20°C)!!! :confused:
    When i put windows powermanagment on power saving the cpu clock goes down to about 900MHz but temperature only drop like 5-7°C..

The instant I start doing something more CPU intensive, like starting a 3D render, CPU temperatures instantly (literally) go to 103°C and that kinda scares me :eek:

I know a desktop cpu is expected to get hot in a laptop, but this I find kinda rediculous and honestly its useless.
    The reason i choose this laptop was because of performance but now i feel a standard mobile CPU would've been a better choice because all the potential performance gets killed by overheating and throttling.
    And even with heavy throttling it stays at 103°C!! I just dont dare to do some heavy stuff on it because of that.
    I feel like my previous laptop performed better (i7 3720qm).

Also my cooler starts kicking in verry late (at about 83°C) and doesnt seem to go max even when the CPU is running at 103°C...
    Theres an included tool where i can set the fans to max manually but I feel thats kinda retarded and dont understand why the 'auto' mode never does that even when it reaches such high temps.

Temps are measured using Intel's extreme tuning tool, realtemp 3.7 and HW monitor... all showing the same result...

Also my battery already shows as 4% used (when its supposed to be just new) and my SSD's (850 pro) S.M.A.R.T. statistics show its already been used a bit, although i dont remember how much exactly.

Should i contact the sales person with a complaint or is this all perfectly normal behaviour and fine to let my laptop run at those temperatures?
    I think something might've gone wrong with the coolingpaste application or something?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  5. Cormogram

Cormogram Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The CPU temperature seems a little bit higher than the One K73-5N review[1] (~100°C).
    You need a proper application of a good quality TIM ASAP!
    Considering the battery and SSDs issues it looks like you've got a lemon -- built to break. I would certainly demand a refund.
    Where did you get it from?

[1] http://www.notebookcheck.net/One-K73-5N-Clevo-P771ZM-Notebook-Review.135088.0.html

6. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    umm, that definitely sounds like either ur heatsink is off of ur paste job is messed up. definitely repaste and check again! also, batteries are not always at 0% even when brandnew. u can check again though after properly calibrating it (discharge completely, then charge up to 100% without interruption). as for the SSD, of course it already has some write cycles on it, since your rig went through stress testing at the vendor ;)

no reason to call it a "lemon" just yet, so chillax people :)

7. IceBounds

IceBounds Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So im getting a nice price of a used 4670k for around 120€. Do you guys think it will run too hot for this machine?`

Cheers

8. Cormogram

Reputations:
    The CPU temperature seems a little bit higher than the One K73-5N review[1] (~100°C).
    You need a proper application of a good quality TIM ASAP!
    Considering the battery and SSDs issues it looks like you've got a lemon -- built to break. I would certainly demand a refund.
    Where did you get it from?

[1] http://www.notebookcheck.net/One-K73-5N-Clevo-P771ZM-Notebook-Review.135088.0.html

9. CHRiTTeR

CHRiTTeR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, they supposedly already put on some better TIM.
    Normally they would've put on Arctic Silver 5, but we called them asking for something better because I wanted to be be sure it would be cooled as good as possible. Then they suggested Gelid GC2 and we got that (but appearently its not really better than AS5 if i google for tests?).

I'd prefer not to mess with it myself, its just new and i dont want to risk any trouble with the warranty...

Im not going to name where i got it from just yet, i want to be a bit more sure something is wrong before i do that :)

I dont wanna repaste because I think theres a good chance I loose the warranty?
    Also if I repaste and it doesnt help, they could say its having heating troubles because I messed with it. Not taking any chances.

Yeah the SSD, gotta check that (i left it at work, because i was planning on giving it to my brother and putting my old HDD in) so i cant check it now)... I dont remember how many writes it had, but i remember thinking it was a surprising amount for just some testing. (they did have allot of testing software installed on the HDD though).

Gonna follow your advice asap concerning the battery.

Any suggestions about tests i could run and I'll post the results here so you guys can comment if its acceptable/normal or not?
    because i dont have much experience concerning these things and I want to be absolutely sure before i start complaining...
    What temperatures are you guys getting?

For now I disbled the turbo boost (via intel's extreme tuning tool), but its still idling at +-60°C and going to +95°C when doing a quick 3D render (with windows power saving mode on).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  10. Cormogram

Reputations:
    GC2 is not better than AS5! :confused:
    It looks like they are really screwing you up!
    I would choose a Coollaboratory Liquid Pro or Ultra[1].

[1] http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/thermal-compound-charts/-1-Thermal-Conductivity,3361.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.