*** Official Clevo P770ZM / Sager NP9772 and P770ZM-G / Sager NP9773 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Cormogram

Cormogram Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Very good news to me! Thanks a lot! ;)

2. darkxon4

darkxon4 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    is it influenced by the volume that you are listening at? cause ive noticed some kind of tremble-like sound when setting high volume on my current laptop and on others aswell,so meh,if it aint noticeable on lower vol,then its harmless.

3. Mr Najsman

Mr Najsman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just did my worst pastejob ever. First time using Gelid, it was a mess. Too much and tried to remove half, what a blob lol. Next time Ill heat it first. Temps in XTU the same as with stock paste (proper pastejob by mysn btw). I will do some tests then check the spread and repaste.

What surprised me was the fit of the heatsink. It was less of a hassle then with my HM. On that I have to wedge it abit around the fan. With this I just drop it straight down in a perfect fit.

4. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    It isn't perfect unless it sits perfectly on it to spread the paste. But yes, it is easy. To get the best seating possible, it will take practise.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    As close of contact as I've had so far...

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  5. Mr Najsman

Mr Najsman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Scratch that. Much worse temps in Heaven. I don't even wanna see what it looks like inside..

6. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Try, try again. Also, check the contact as my photos show. My spread was horrible before lapping because the cpu was badly concave! But worse temps than stock, that is a mounting issue. Once you set it down perfectly, do not wiggle it. Apply continuous downward pressure or air can get in.

7. superkyle1721

superkyle1721 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Before I did my lapping I took very careful measurements of everything and it seems as though the heatsink is convex to fit the concavity of the CPU not much but ever so slightly. This is either by design or mine just happened to be that way. Either way after polishing and lapping they are both perfectly flat and temps did drop significantly so if they did do it by design they failed...

8. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Btw, new heat sink and a finger sander was ordered last night. So I'll check fit first, then lap the heatsink (all parts used with any thermal interface material including pads) (and clean up the cpu), apply the thermal pads(fujipoly 17w/mk), and check where it's at. If the one corner is still high, then the mb gets pulled, mounting arm leveled, and pictures will follow. Also, @superkyle1721, how does your contact compare to my posted pics today?

superkyle1721 likes this.
  9. superkyle1721

superkyle1721 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would say mine does appear to be more uniform. I have plenty of paste so what I'll do is in a couple hours I'll pull my heat sink and take pictures. It's really extremely even now that it has been lapped and polished. Plus I just trusted my first paste job so I'm curious to see if it is even a good one or not. Updates to come.

10. ajc9988

Reputations:
    After lapping, the one corner that previously gave an issue on contact (before my RMA) reappeared. Because of that, it will have to be readjusted once more for that corner. If you have better contact, then you did an excellent lapping job considering the CLU did practically nothing for temps. That is usually seen with either poor contact or amazing contact between lapped surfaces. Perfect contact eliminates the benefits between a high quality paste and liquid metal.

Edit: New EC for our laptop!

Last edited: May 3, 2015