*** Official Clevo P75xZM "Batman" / Sager NP9752 Owner´s Lounge | Welcome to the Batcave! ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Dec 11, 2014.

1. splinterfaction

splinterfaction Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for explaining - I had no idea that there were different speeds/port styles for the m.2 connector.

So I need a 'B' keyed card? Should the Samgung 850 EVO mSATA SSD (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER) work? It looks too big to my eyes but hard to compare sizes.

Or is this one right: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TGIW1XG?keywords=m2 sata&qid=1447182366&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Please forgive my ignorance, I'm finding this very confusing and appropriate your help a great deal.

That did the trick perfectly! I have now been bale to update my bios. Many many thanks =)

2. Cem Aygun

Cem Aygun Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My Sager screen & motherboard change RMA took less than a week. Sending it back and forth is a different story though; depends on where you live. I roughly did the math: when my notebook arrives, it will have more than circumvented the world just for this RMA:)

jaybee83 and vitopl like this.
  3. GMLP

GMLP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    M.2 and mSATA are completely different. M.2 is also much smaller and longer (at least the current Samsung SSD gen), and also quite faster than mSATA. Only M.2 fits in the P750ZM. Technically you can put an mSATA in but you'll need an adapter (I doubt it will fit in the slots), which defeats the purpose anyway.

Back to the point. For your SM951 NVMe and my 950 Pro to work in the Batman they need to be plugged in the PCIex4 lane (right next to the hard drive bay) AND BIOS-flashed with @Prema mod. At least for me it turns out even after flashing it is not simple plug-and-play. I believe there are settings in there that need to be changed so the drive is recognised, which I have not been able to figure out.

4. Bullrun

Bullrun Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You want the second link, the M.2. You can see that it's B & M keyed (the notches) and will work in either slot.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2
    All thanks go to Prema for the BIOS flashing tip.;)

splinterfaction likes this.
  5. GMLP

GMLP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Once you have access to your system please let me know. BTW which NVMe drive do you have?

6. splinterfaction

Reputations:
    Thanks so much - I've returned the SM951 and ordered the 850 EVO. I always disregarded that one before as it looked like the connector was wrong! Cudos for Samsung making a card that is dual-compatible, I underestimated them.

Warm thanks again for your kind assistance =)

I have managed to upgrade my stock BIOS to the premamod one now so I have access to all those controls that I have absolutely no knowledge about!
    My primary drive is the SM951 that came with the Batman when I bought it from XMG and was installed in the m2 port near the other HDDs. When the 850 EVO arrives I'll let you know if I have any issues installing it.

Bullrun likes this.
  7. splinterfaction

Reputations:
    Can I just recall this piece of advice I received before I bought my Batman - Kommando, you were spot on. I went with the 4k screen in the end and it was total overkill and a disaster to use. Windows scaling is awful and most of the apps (CS6) and games (Kerbal) I like are legacy and totally unusable at 4k. I now run the 4k panel on 1080 mode and only ever put it on 4k if I have a girl over who's knickers I'm trying to get in.

Let this be a lesson to you all to listen to good advice when it comes!

8. Bullrun

Bullrun Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't have a NVMe. I have a Mythlogic (Prema partner) so my BIOS, though slightly different, should have the settings. I need to look.

EDIT: My machine doesn't have NVMe support in the BIOS.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  9. Kommando

Kommando Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Think positive. You have the screen now and you don't ever have to think "what if...; wouldn't it be better to have..." or similar things.
    Maybe it turns out to be a good decision if Pascal is compatible with the Batman and strong enough to support 4K. :)

10. GMLP

GMLP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just hope the current cooling solution is sufficient. Because somehow the fans kick in quite loudly even when I'm just browing BIOS settings :eek:. Could be the summer down under but I put the laptop on a Notepal X3 so all is well.

In other news, the 950 Pro is now CONFIRMED working in my P750ZM. Kudos to @Prema And it is oh so fast :D

Prema, jaybee83 and ajc9988 like this.