*** Official Clevo P75xZM "Batman" / Sager NP9752 Owner´s Lounge | Welcome to the Batcave! ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Sager make some of their smaller designs work better on your lap, but you can't make such compromises with a full desktop chip in there, it has to be full on cooling for that thing with no compromise.

2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    I have the 17"and can use it on my lap fine. The hard drive portion is the hottest on my lap. The air intake is in the center, vents out the back. You can sit with space between your knees and the CPU and GPU stay cool. Just be mindful of what your temps are and feel it out for yourself..

noteless likes this.
  3. Kommando

Kommando Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interesting discussion. Well I use my batman only on my lap while lying on the couch. It gets warm, but not unbearably hot. However,I feel the difference between overclocking the 970m or not. So it may be even hotter with the 980m+4790k@stock. For me the only thing i have to look at is if both vents are free for breathing. ;)

ajc9988 likes this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You'll certainly feel it if you get it wrong lol. Also the bottom cover shaping also goes with my statement.

ajc9988 likes this.
  5. ignorant

ignorant Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi @ajc9988 , I have found this guide thread by you, but no actual undervolting guide inside.. currently looking up on google and youtube on how to undervolt with XTU...

6. Samot

Samot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There are no risks involved in undervolting - just bsod´s, freezes, shutdowns, but no physical damage to hardware. With stock speeds (and Speedstep + Turbo Boost enabled) you can start by dialing in -50mv on Dynamic Cpu Voltage Offset, and -100mv on Processor Cache Voltage Offset. Run Prime95 (i run the 3 kinds of tests - Small FFt´s, Large FFt´s and Blend for 1hour at least, 5 to 20 minutes stable can be deceiving as some of those tests vary the workload with time) and if the system is stable try reducing another -10mv on the Cpu and retest. Rinse and repeat. Once you´ve found a stable undervolt on the Cpu, move on to the cache offset and reduce it by some another -25mv. Retest, rinse and repeat. If you want to get even lower temps, and don´t mind running the cpu at 4ghz instead of 4.2ghz @4 cores, start your undervolt testing by disabling SpeedStep and Turboboost. After you´ve found your settings you can re-enable Speedstep so your cpu can downclock itself when there´s not much to do.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  7. superkyle1721

superkyle1721 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The cut and dry of it is to first start with the speed you want your chip to run (ie. 4.2 ghz) assuming you do not want to turn off turbo or over clock then this should be left alone m. From there reduce the offset voltage down by 20mV at a time. After you make the change run a stress test in XTU to make sure it will not cause a crash ( a crash is ok so don't worry) most people are in the range of -60 to -80 mV offset. To give you an idea of the average. Once you hit a crash point reboot and increase the offset in steps of 5mV at a time until it is stable in a stress test of your choice for 20 minutes. Once stable then adjust the cache offset in the very same way. Other than these two sliders do not touch anything that you do not know what it does. You do that and you will be just fine. It's a fairly simple process.

ProFX likes this.
  8. ProFX

ProFX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

My offer still stands for those who would like to help who would be so kind to post some pics and specs of their battery. Once I have that information I can get to work putting together a sweet custom battery solution. The latest update is that I believe I can provide a solution with twice the battery life. Imagine that... 2 hours - 2 1/2 hours : )

To get others up to speed..

There are several new batteries available now that are also not capable of exploding like @ratinox suggested. They are far more stable than Lithium-Ion. The new wave of batteries meet international standards concerning shock, crush, thermal stability and short circuit (UN38.3, IEC62133). They are also non-flammable and can withstand extreme abuse situations such as bullet and nail penetrations with no adverse reaction.

Additionally they have an indefinite shelf-life, with no charging required when left for extended period. They can also be fully discharged down to 0% without damaging the cells, and can be recharged over a 1000 times.
    Again these batteries are available now. A custom battery pack would need to be made for the Batman which is why I'm asking for pictures.

@ratinox In regards to your post below. There is no secrecy, though if you like Conspiracy theories I'm sure I could make something up to entertain you. More details probably would of followed the OP but you shutdown any constructive conversation from the very get go :oops: But that's ok I've seen better post from you :D:vbtongue:. Though before I start posting a bunch of stuff, I will need some pictures/specs of the existing battery so I can present the Batcave community with an informative and detailed synopsis of possible mods of the batman instead of something that is fragmented and half done.

With love... you know @ratinox .. I told you you wouldn't find this all through a simple Google Search. Your post below is a little off mark... o_O. If you can contribute with some battery pictures and specs that would be Awesome! If not that's ok :)

I'm excited to have some constructive conversation here any help with the requested information will benefit the Batcave Community.

We need more members like @Kommando

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    jaybee83 likes this.
  9. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Be careful with Prime95's torture test on Haswell. Intel's spec is for Haswell processors to overvolt themselves when AVX2 and FMA3 instructions are used. Prime95 versions more recent than 26.6 use these instructions and this overvolting will run the cores up to scarey-high temperatures.

ProFX likes this.
  10. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    *sigh*

Have you heard the phrase "put up or shut up"? How about "caveat emptor"? Because I, for one, am not giving you anything without knowing what I might be getting into.