*** Official Clevo P75xZM "Batman" / Sager NP9752 Owner´s Lounge | Welcome to the Batcave! ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Dec 11, 2014.

1. jmpnix

jmpnix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Folks, I am torn between this and the Alienware 15.
    P750Zm@$2200, Alienware15@1599 both 970m, 16G, 256G SSD, 1TB Storage, and Sharp IZGO 4K. -- Difference being 4K touch or 4790K.
    I am not a gamer, I need a powerful machine for software development & VMs, not really concerned about battery life as I am always near a power outlet.
    Build Quality (carry it around frequently), Longevity (I am not from the US, and this is A LOT of money for me.) and a Good Display are my primary concern.
    Dell has a very good reputation wrt post sales service, and Alienware seems to have a better resale value.

Is this machine worth the additional $600 just for the 4790K ?
    How is the build quality when compared to Alienware 15 ?

(@D2 Ultima - I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.)

I need to make a decision today, so would appreciate your opinions.

2. icpu

icpu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    my first post, please be kind to this noob :)

i don't know if this is where i should ask but i'll ask it here anyway because i am getting this laptop soon in my country's distributor and i think this forum has the best support and very active community of clevo barebone users. ;)

i know that directx 12 is coming with windows 10, and i read in some places that 980m and 970m are compatible. maybe even all 9xx series of nVidia?
    anyway the point i want to ask is will it give exponential changes in 3D modelling?
    because, yeah in gaming benchmarks you can see all over the review in uoytube (intentional misspelled is it necessary?) shows much of difference.

the thing is i use my laptop for work (cad, 3d modelling, 3d rendering still images) mostly than gaming, i'm thinking getting a quadro k3100m.
    BUT if it really gives the difference i'm gonna go with 980m.
    because i think if the 980m + directx 12 is also boosting frame rates in 3d modelling maybe it will shorten the gap with the quadro. which logically why would buy a quadro when the gaming card already gives the best of both world with better price?

pardon if my engrish ish bad :p

oh and if htwingnut is reading this, i'm buying this laptop because i saw your cadalyst run on your p750zm (was, since you've sold it right?) and it was 3.2 times faster than my rig. so thanks for your awesome reviews.

demonhotrod likes this.
  3. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's worth not getting a piece of crap Alienware. I'm not saying that as an Alienware hater. I'm saying that as an Alienware owner. Dell's warranty service is really good, and that's the only really good thing I have to say about my M14xR2.

Is the extra $600 worth it? I think so but that's for what I want and not necessarily for what you want or need.

If you're looking for raw compute power in a portable system there is at least one Clevo vendor out there offering P750 with a Xeon processor which is slower than 4790 in terms of clock but it has much more cache which is a big deal for server and workstation loads. Just floating it as an option to look into.

P650SE may be a better choice for you. Same display, storage, RAM, GPU, slightly slower CPU, but it costs about $600 less.

TomJGX likes this.
  4. jmpnix

jmpnix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply ratinox.
    I checked the various available Xeon processors, the top of the line model I found - Intel Xeon E3-1276 v3 has the a higher price when compared 4790K with the same 8MB cache, and not overclockable.
    So, 4790K seems like a better deal, ain't it ?

5. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Huh. Looks like E3-1276 is pretty lame compared to the LGA 2011 Xeon models. The only thing it brings to the table is better power efficiency.

6. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Search this thread or the P770zm thread for my discussion on Xeon by price point.

7. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    He didn't really sell it, they send him machines to review and he can buy them if he wants but usually he returns them.
    To be fair the M14x series was awful. Their 17" and 18" line was superb. Their current line... I have nothing to say about. Only their AW13 makes sense from a price/functionality standpoint.

TomJGX likes this.
  8. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You should wait until Skylake hits considering the work you do. It will benefit you more so than it will gamers. Clevo should be announcing the "refreshed" models within the next month or so, and will probably start selling them shortly after.

9. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The M17x and M18x series were rather nice but their replacements aren't so nice. They're not nearly as bad as the M14x series (which was the bottom of the barrel in my opinion) but they're still problematic.

D2 Ultima likes this.
  10. icpu

icpu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    you mean wait for a skylake and ddr4 models? like this enthusiastic person? :p http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ers-lounge-welcome-to-the-new-batcave.776183/

i don't really know why i should wait. is it ddr4 RAM? afaik 4790k will perform better than most notebook CPUS, probably even compared to future mid-range notebook Skylake CPU compensating the power consumption and heat.