*** Official Clevo P75xZM "Batman" / Sager NP9752 Owner´s Lounge | Welcome to the Batcave! ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Dec 11, 2014.

1. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Actually, I'm losing like 15 FPS (about 30%) with the hair enabled. Not a big deal, though. I don't care much for hair. FPS dips below 30 sometimes with the hair enabled, down to like 26-27 in some movie scenes. FPS is very random in this game. Anything from 26-55~.

It should perform better with Windows 10. Still trying to figure out how to get ShadowPlay working.

2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not really that surprising but we may see a different approach in the mobile space like CPUs.

4. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Very true. The stated reason is to protect the HBM, so time will ultimately tell. As long as it is done well, I won't mind at all (unlike some issues with Intel's IHS increasing temps and AMD at times). It also raises questions as to how easy HBM is to crush, so to speak.

It also makes me wonder whether a new MXM standard (or a revision) will be introduced in the next couple months to allow for the increased bandwidth in the mobile sector... This would be beneficial for the highest end mobile pascal to use HBM, as well as the highest end mobile arctic island.

Edit: Just found the forum page addressing my second paragraph: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/end-of-mxm-3-0b-imminent.775980/

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Actually the stated reason is to account for the vertical height mismatch of the HBM vs the core. This uneven surface is not only harder to cater to it also causes the reason you mentioned to be more important than before.

ajc9988 likes this.
  6. J.Dre

Reputations:
    The Witcher 3 is up. Check signature. Runs fairly well, but I hope they release an update that will optimize it a bit more.

Runs best on High settings with a GTX 980M. Can run on Ultra, as seen, but dips are bad.

demonhotrod likes this.
  7. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Updates go without saying. I can't recall the last major game to be released that didn't need at least one major performance patch. It's one of the reasons why I'm in no great rush to play it. Also, I haven't played 2 or 1. :)

My first go-to for performance is reducing shadows. Rendering shadows is typically one of the biggest strains on any GPU, and turning down the shadow quality and/or distance is good for a big improvement without reducing visual appeal. Except for Skyrim because Skyrim's shadow rendering looks awful even at the highest settings.

8. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    You can get 5W/mk Phobya XT pads on ebay UK... I think there are 7.5W/mK Phobya XT pads too..

Repaste with Gelid GC Extreme... XMG use MX-2 paste which pumps out in no time and is total junk..

We are seeing more of innovation in battery tech on a smaller scale in mobiles etc.. Once a breakthrough is made there, they'll scale it up for bigger uses like laptops :)

9. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    D2 Ultima replied to the question about temperatures from Woasl on Friday so just for anyone who wonders why I'm not replying to the quote on this in TomJGX's post it's because it has already been sorted out:)

Actually this isn't correct, we don't use MX-2.

When we did use MX-2 however the temperatures were directly comparable to other paste like GC Ex and independent tests also prove this. Our RMA statistics from long term customers i.e. over 2+ year periods show that temperature issues due to degredation of thermal paste were extremely low to non-existant.

I'm making this statement not to be argumentative as I totally appreciate your opinion, but I need to defend the long term decision to use MX-2 based on the extremely comprehensive testing and RMA records that we have available. Just for the record, the decision to use alternative paste to MX-2 is not related to its thermal performance or based on cost!

jaybee83 and triturbo like this.
  10. J.Dre

Reputations:
    Can't believe I'm saying this, but my laptop may be running too cool.