*** Official Clevo P75xZM "Batman" / Sager NP9752 Owner´s Lounge | Welcome to the Batcave! ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Dec 11, 2014.

1. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    Both the 15" and 17" will run fine with the battery taken out - in fact all models will run fine without the battery, it's just a matter of how difficult it is to disconnct/remove the battery!

2. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Incorrect. For the most part, most of the big-name games are HEAVILY CPU-bound in the last few months. All the recent battlefield games (especially above 60fps), Dying Light, GTA 5, Evolve (though this is easily the least CPU bound of these examples), etc. All of them are CPU hogs. 3.5GHz i7s is a joke to them, especially running SLI configurations, at 1080p. I have even overclocked my GPU in each game and only in Evolve did I actually get a benefit from the overclock; each other game easily CPU limited me multiple times without actually taking advantage of the overclocks. Hell, in BF4, my overclock didn't even activate, because my GPUs didn't get enough demand for a load worthy of "clocking up".

There is absolutely no guarantee that skylake will do anything better performance-wise excepting the tiny IPC improvement. We need to wait and find out.
    Oh no, it might very well do something for gaming. It might make gaming worse. DDR4 is able to hit high clockspeeds, but the refresh timings are so high that slower-clocked DDR3 is better. We would need DDR4 to hit such high speeds at its current high refresh timings for it to be of any real merit. But make no mistake: good speed and low refresh RAM is no joke. It does help, and in games too. The difference is "how much". It depends on each game, and each application, but there is a list comparing various speeds and CL timings with programs/games using haswell CPUs out there, and at best there was something like a 10fps boost in some games (at already high fps, 100+).
    http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconduc...he-vacuum-transistor-a-device-made-of-nothing here we go

It's not high demand and low supply... it's low demand and high supply from years ago, which is why they're still easy access to various models floating around like the screen you got not one, but TWO of. Currently, the market is all hyped about IPS panels, and response times/ghosting be damned. So that's what people are making.
    The P17xSM-A are actually still quite viable, especially for someone who wants a more powerful system and *shudders* optimus... they also have optical disk drives internally, and mSATA instead of M.2 drives.
    The P15xSM-A however, as I discovered with Luna, isn't as adept enough with cooling even with the heatsink upgrade to make it truly viable out the box, unless screen upgrades are what you want.
    Also, SLI is still only available with the SM-A for now ;)
    And on the other side of things, my D900F had 90% wear in 1 year, and my P370SM3 variates between 11% and 6% wear (as I use it it goes up/down) after a year and a half XD. You really can't tell these days.

LetiferX likes this.
  3. MichaelKnight4Christ

MichaelKnight4Christ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh alright thanks I appreciate the conformation on this and its one less issue that I don't have to think about.

4. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Uh-huh. First world problems. But seriously, I can't speak to most of these games but I know a little about Battlefield 4. Long story short: BF4 isn't as optimized for SLI as it is for single GPU. It would not surprise me to find that this is the case for the rest of the games you listed simply because few games are heavily optimized for SLI.

5. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    Well a bit of it might be that, I would not lie. But it is still a thing. I'm actually starting to think that most of this "high resolution" race is because when you bump resolution you force GPU bottlenecks. Like... if you play games at 720p with current hardware, you'll almost definitely hit a CPU bottleneck. 1080p is close approaching that. But there's been people who've actually gotten higher FPS by RAISING their resolution in GTA 5... and that's with single GPU too.

6. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    BF3 and BF4 are actually quite well-optimized for SLI comparatively speaking. The game and game engine itself support it just fine and Nvidia's official SLI profile in the driver also has no issues. They're just CPU-heavy games.

Check this out, at 4K BF4 scales nearly 100% across the board in 2-way SLI/CrossFire with a bauss CPU:

[​IMG]

So remember #1 rule of multi-GPU scaling: GPU-bound!

Also @D2 Ultima have you tried playing BFBC2 at 120 FPS? I think it's just as CPU-heavy if not more so due to all the destruction.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  7. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, but take a look at these 3-way and 4-way measurements:
    http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...3-Way-and-4-Way-SLI-Performance/Battlefield-4

In fact, BF4 is neither CPU-bound nor GPU-bound. It's optimized so that with reasonably matched CPU and GPU, and with appropriate settings for both, the two will run together at or close to maximum. That's not being a pig; that's using the resources at full capacity.

The apparent CPU-heaviness is because of lopsided systems. With a lopsided system you have too much of one and the other can't keep up. I'm getting into the hypothetical here but if BF4 could efficiently use all of the threads on a dual Xeon E5-2690v2 box (I have a compute server with one of these in it; neat stuff) you'd find that the game would appear to be GPU-bound.

Edit:
    And that's precisely my point. You can force a CPU bottleneck by having too much GPU (first world problems, indeed) or by turning the visual settings down so low that the CPU can't keep up with the GPU. This does not mean that the game is CPU-bound or even CPU-heavy. It means that your system or settings aren't configured properly.

Edit:
    And by "properly" I really mean "optimally for that particular game".

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  8. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    I get more CPU usage in BF:BC2 (runs hotter, goes to the 80% and more with playclaw's overlay; if you remember my video I was sitting near the mid-high 70% range) and I maintain higher fps more, with more GPU usage.

9. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Something is screwy there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PCPer's own 295X2 CrossFire testing (that's 4 x 290X GPUs) found an 81% increase in BF4 going from 2 to 4 GPUs. So clearly BF4 handles multiple GPUs no problem.

Or by trying to game at 120Hz. ;)

10. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm not sure that's entirely fair. 295x2 can use all 16 lanes on one PCIe slot as opposed to the sharing that happens in a 2-card SLI or Crossfire configuration. I don't know how much it matters but it doesn't seem like an apples to apples comparison. 2-way and 4-way 295x2 against 2-way and 4-way Titan Z seems like a better comparison.

4-way Titan Z. First world problems, indeed. :)