*** Official Clevo P75xZM "Batman" / Sager NP9752 Owner´s Lounge | Welcome to the Batcave! ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Dec 11, 2014.

1. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you're going to wait for anything, wait for Pascal. Waiting for DDR4 and Skylake is not a good idea for gamers considering that will likely be available for purchase sometime around Fall, and we know Pascal is coming out soon thereafter.

You've got a good 9-12 months before we see systems with both Skylake and Pascal. So, if you can wait one year, go for it! If not, then buy something now and upgrade later. It's not like DDR4 or Skylake is going anywhere. There will be re-brands until the end of 2018, assuming no further delays.

DDR4 will not benefit gaming as you may think. It's a common misconception that it does anything for gaming. Skylake and DDR4 is focused entirely on power consumption and efficiency, not performance. It just so happens that they may perform better because it's a shrink in the process, allowing for greater output without increasing heat.

2. LunaP

LunaP Dame Ningen

Reputations:
    I'll link it hwen I get home, unless D2 gets to it first ( I sent it to him a while back ) I'll ping him on steam since I"m not at home.

Is that specifically to poorly ported games ( 99% of them ) that have 0 Q&A to make them actually make use of the card and instead brute force the crap out of it? Games will get demanding yes but mostly , most of them play pretty damn well now as you've stated, a lot of us are also into MMO's which are HEAVILY CPU based, and from what I've seen 4.0 is the minimum you want to hit with 4.5 being the sweet spot for next to 0 lag when in highly populated scenes/areas with effects going on.

Skylakes a great idea as long as it will support pascal and volta, since I"m really banking on volta for now, and will probably upgrade to it from my current titans on my desktop. Mobile wise we'll see. The 980's performed quite well, and yes pascal/volta will DEFINITELY be needed if the market starts cutting off the 1080 side and going 4k only, however its not long now until 4k is easily playable at high frame rates given the direction we're going. DD4 is great, but not necessarily for gamers, unless running high end SLI and even then you'd need to be in the tri/quad to really need it, though I guess with later GPU's pushing the envelope the increase in timings would help a bit.

Honestly the only thing holding me is a good high quality screen, however it looks like the market no longer has interest in that area due to high demand and low supply.

The debates are really good though, and usually we're all within the mark, however there's always the speculation and small surprises that sometimes CAN get us upon release.

Can anyone recall the last time Intel looked like it wasn't going to bring much, but then at the last might got our attention?

TomJGX and ajc9988 like this.
  3. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    All of them, really. Xbox One and PS4 are essentially the same thing: AMD netbook CPU with moderately powerful GPU and massive quantities of GDDR3/5 vRAM. They both greatly favor the graphics side, especially with high resolution textures. Console game developers are playing to that strength, and more evenly balanced PCs are going to suffer for it.

I honestly can't say much about MMOs these days. The last time I did anything with a large scale on-line game was Guild Wars 2 and that was going on two years ago. I haven't felt any desire to keep up with that scene.

The breakthrough that allowed Pentium M to utterly destroy the netburst architecture and lead to the development of Core and Core 2.

jaybee83 and D2 Ultima like this.
  4. MichaelKnight4Christ

MichaelKnight4Christ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think the only thing I'm waiting on is that news from clevo, and all I wish for out of that is the announcement of new skylake/broadwell mobile chips and a new zm model to take advantage of the new lga1151 sockets for a notebook with a skylake chip. If those aren't the case I have no issues buying a clevo zm or sm-a but I just want to at least wait until the announcements for this stuff.

Im not so excited about skylake but I am excited about that new lga1151 socket since as some of you were pointing out those will be current until around 2018m or so. Having a 1151 means that more upgrade options will be available where as the current 1150 has already seen its best with the 4790k and the broadwells will not even perform on that level performance wise and if I want a 65w quadcore I could just get a 4790s on haswell. Thats how I'm thinking about it now.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  5. LunaP

LunaP Dame Ningen

Reputations:
    SM-A's will be gone after next month once the new models are announced, re sellers are on their last shipment atm and will not be receiving any more, same w/ Vendors, it will be whoever still has some in stock, and more than likely you'll have to go outside or to a high end priced nobody that still has one because everyone else refuses to pay their prices. Broadwell will suck bad.

TomJGX, D2 Ultima and ajc9988 like this.
  6. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Someone would buy a SM-A this late in the game? My heart cries for them...

7. LunaP

LunaP Dame Ningen

Reputations:
    *raises hand* mine was gorgeous, however sent it back, I did like it though, it felt outdated though w/ all the legacy stuff, and normally I"m one to hang on to it.

TomJGX likes this.
  8. MichaelKnight4Christ

MichaelKnight4Christ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I liked the sma as well shame to see them go with no proper replacement as its looking since the broadwell mobile chips will not be socketed. I prefer the "batbook\zm" now slightly but those sm-a's are still the best bang for the buck imo. However having a 4790k in a notebook is really special clevo out did themselves with these to be honest. What ever clevo reveals I want first row tickets to see.

TomJGX likes this.
  9. Cormogram

Cormogram Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why is that?

10. Cormogram

Cormogram Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've just read the P7xxZM service manuals[1] (thanks @jaybee83 and @Prema! ;)) and it really says there's an ASM1142[2] chip in there.
    According to Clevo[3,4,5,6] though they do not support USB 3.1.
    Did any one benchmarked the transfer rates on those ports?
    If they are indeed limited to 3.0 is there a way to upgrade it to 3.1? What would be necessary?

[1] https://biosmods.wordpress.com/service-manuals/
    [2] http://www.asmedia.com.tw/eng/e_show_products.php?item=155&cate_index=154
    [3] http://clevo.com/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=747&lang=en
    [4] http://clevo.com/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=752&lang=en
    [5] http://clevo.com/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=762&lang=en
    [6] http://clevo.com/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=763&lang=en