*** Official Clevo P75xZM "Batman" / Sager NP9752 Owner´s Lounge | Welcome to the Batcave! ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Dec 11, 2014.

1. MichaelKnight4Christ

MichaelKnight4Christ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I hear ya and I agree I rather have something that will last a bit longer than 2 years I always seem to buy things in 5 year cycles. And we have so many new things on the way OS win X, new cpu chips, and more than likely a new gpu since nvidia has militantly released new gpu's every year. I guess it happens to be at a time where so many innovations are going on but eventually ill land something and i'll be glad to announce it here on nbr when it happens.

2. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If the driver housings fit loosely then shim with a bit of craft felt. If the housings fit snugly then stick some modelling clay (plasticine) on them.

3. demonhotrod

demonhotrod Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's posts like these that make me really crave buying the P75. My E14 has a crappy i5-450M in and that has lasted me 4 maybe 5 years now, I imagine something like a 4790k would last me an eternity! It's just all this talk of Skylake being some sort of landmark in increased performance and lower TDP's has really gotten to me, I'd hate to have buyers remorse on something that i've spent so long saving for... Even though a P75 with a 4790k and GTX 980 would be more than enough to pacify me... I dunno, I am just in a weird place and I keep going round in circles haha

4. superkyle1721

superkyle1721 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's not often you come across a laptop with this many tech savvy users extremely happy with the machine. In the next 5 years will there be something faster and better well yes of course but not buying a computer due to something new coming out is an endless battle. There are not many uses of the computer that will begin to max out the CPU. GPU yes it can be maxed but unless something unseen happens an OC 980m will out pace a stock 1080m or whatever it will be called. Either way a lot of you are debating coming from 5 year old Pcs. If a 5 year old Pc is getting you by now then worrying about missing out on maybe .1ghz and an extra 20 minutes of batter life just doesn't seem to be worth the wait.

Mr Najsman likes this.
  5. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's a lot of marketing hype. Skylake is revolutionary only when you look at the Y variant (embedded SOC) at 4W and the U variants (low-end mobile) at 15W-28W which are about half what their Haswell counterparts are. The Skylake desktop S variants are about the same as Haswell at the low end (35W TDP) to worse at the top (95W TDP).

ajc9988 likes this.
  6. pukemon

pukemon are you unplugged?

Reputations:
    Lol. This. Kinda glad I waited though. I was dead set on p150sm-a until rumors of batman and soldered components. The CPU upgrade spiking $100 helped me wait also I might add. People waitin' on the fence need to purchase their ticket and get in now.

TomJGX likes this.
  7. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    I agree with ratinox. Skylake uses ddr4, which, at this moment, doesn't show much advantage at all (long explanation). It's tdp is 95 top end (4790k is 88, but that doesn't tell the whole heat story). I'd say, if you, personally, are concerned, it is a couple months until release. Wait until the reviewers release the info on the qs versions and es versions of the chip. Meanwhile, Intel usually gets 5-15% tops on each chip release. This means skylake would have, at most, around 10-25% boost (most likely closer to the bottom because they had problems with yields for so long for 14nm transistor and I doubt the new architecture makes up for it). Luna has mentioned there is a Clevo event in a couple weeks which may give insight into new laptops. This would be the other point I'd say to wait for as it would tell of new designs. Overall, I'm not trying to sell you on anything. If you have concerns, these time frames can potentially answer your questions. Intel commonly drops new processors in June and Clevo's event is in between now and then. Meanwhile, I love this laptop (Except no ultra high res for 17 inch model). depending on time frame of ownership (I do three years), it's of more or less import. I doubt you'll have pcie 4 thrown on any laptop till next year, and no video card or ssd uses it yet. So the benefits weigh in getting now or the skylake variant in 6mo to a yr. How bad do you need to upgrade? Can you wait? Most voice concern because the 4790k is almost a year old, Haswell is two years old, Intel's offerings are underwhelming, but Intel currently has no competition and won't for a year, at minimum, and that rides on zen, on 14nm with hsa and multithreading with cores not having shared cache, being any good.

8. LunaP

LunaP Dame Ningen

Reputations:
    To jump on this, I will mention that since I work with the active reserves, that one of the reserve members is an employee at intel ( been there 15+ years ) he works on silicon etc, for years I've been constant on on for information, starting from the 980 days when I'd give theories, info and try to cross convey them. The biggest step for me was learning the diff between K and X, which is why I always go X now. However as of recent whenever I"m there I usually hit up friends for any questions they might have, one of which is D2, so thanks to some recent info I have slightly higher hopes for skylake. Given from what hes said they've had the 14nm in works for the past couple years so given that time frame its at least a good notion to expect minimum issues. They're already working on cannonlake as well. For those not aware google "Moore's law" ( not the bad one ) lol. According to him they're even giving AMD a hand at times.

Skylake will be the pivot point imo for next gen. Cannonlake will jump this with everything new. However after 10nm it looks like they're moving towards Graphene and tubes, so possibly 2018/2019 will be our next pivot point where we finally break the 5ghz barrier as a minimum. Obviously its all speculation, however given what NASA's been able to do w/ Vacuum tubes etc, we can expect a whole new jump ( though obviously not that high as it would kill the market of small gains per year to maintain income. Given M.2 is now available in mobile platforms, I assume that skylake will take better advantage of this, with the new product lines coming out. So hopefully it will entirely abandon the legacy area. Hopefully the heating issues w/ some M2 devices will have been fixed by then. I'd love to see a 1tb variant.

I agree on pci4, since we're barely tapping the b/w in 3.0 atm, though as meaker said DX12 should assist in that, even in SLI it still won't cap. 4.0 will more than likely become mainstream w/ cannonlake.

Honestly I just love the name " Skylake", and the new roadmap should be announced sometime this year hopefully.

ajc9988 likes this.
  9. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    I thought they were giving more consideration to GaNM transistor for the sub-10nm first before doing graphene or silicene (recent article I read said there was a break through, but silicene is way behind graphene to hit commercial production volume)? I know they are toying with quantum well for transistor to more directly guide the electrons to prevent bleed out. And you are exactly right on the time frames on cannonlake to be ready for tape out. I know commercial orders on euv lithography machines is still low, but the jv to develop them just concluded and current lithography can take us to 10nm which will be out in late late 2016 with consumers not setting them until 2017 for AMD and most ARM chips (which is Intel's release of new architecture on 10nm). So the convergence of competition on Intel will be more than it has been (hence Intel hiding mobile chip earnings being lower by combining it with actual chip profits this last quarter's earnings report). But Luna is dead on with what the market is toying with. I just haven't heard much on performance of the chips and am working on historical data.

Edit: @LunaP - can you send me a link for the NASA vacuum tubes thing? I hadn't heard of that, although I did read about DARPAs terahertz analog transistor about 6 months ago (maybe longer)?

10. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lemme try to put a practical perspective on Skylake.

Games are going to be increasingly GPU bound in the foreseeable future. It's the nature of the current consoles so that will be the nature of ports and cross-platform games. Skylake will be an improvement but those gains are going to be held back by these GPU-bound games. That won't shift until Pascal and maybe not even then since Pascal seems more focused on GPGPU (CUDA/OpenCL) than games. If this is the case (and none of us will know for sure until next year) then we probably won't see that shift until Volta and that's 2018.

So, here's what I think. If you want to play games then buy now. If you wait for something markedly better then you'll be waiting for three years. What you buy today will be approaching middle age by then and you may be looking for something to replace it but you'll have three solid years of gaming to look back on.

If you're doing serious work and you are not GPU-bound and you are not doing GPGPU and you don't need something right now then wait for Skylake but don't wait for Pascal. Skylake will be a noticeable upgrade from Haswell in terms of processing power and performance per watt. Win-win.

If you are doing serious GPGPU work then either wait for Pascal or buy now and hope that Pascal will ship in MXM 3.0b. Pascal will be a substantial improvement for GPGPU workloads but you won't be able to take advantage of the scalability improvements in a notebook of any sort so it's kind of hit-or-miss anyway.

And if you're doing professional work (read: Quadro rather than GTX) then... you can probably figure out what you need better than I can.