*** Official Clevo P75xZM "Batman" / Sager NP9752 Owner´s Lounge | Welcome to the Batcave! ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Cormogram

Cormogram Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's in fact easier to cool the 980M because the heat flux density is much lower: for the 4790K it's 497 mW/mm² while for the 980M it's 276 mW/mm²[1] -- almost half.
    Ofc a longer board would be needed but the demands are the same as any other dual SLI setup.

[1] Since there's no official value from Nvidia, I'm considering a 110W(average based on many Internet sources) for a 980M with 8GB MXM-B board.

HTWingNut likes this.
  2. splinterfaction

splinterfaction Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Trackpads:
    I see that but still find it an odd decision - surely most people centre themselves to the screen not to the keyboard? Not a big issue but it's a design decision I can't quite get my head around. I'm all for the Apple style central trackpads. Their trackpads are amazing performers too.

Speakers:
    I have noticed that the speakers vibrate too. I've noticed with with loads of devices in the past, and usually turning the volume down helps a lot but on my U505 it appears to still happen even at lower volume levels.

I've not tried to fix it yet as it's very rare that I use the computer without external speakers or headphones so I'll probably leavc it as it is, but if anyone does have a fix then I'd be all ears....

See what I did there?

:newpalm:

3. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As I noted, Apple's trackpads are centered with the keyboards. Note that the trackpads' centers line up with the G and H keys. It's that Apple's notebooks have never, ever, had numeric pads on the side so the keyboards themselves have been centered in the units.

As to why? Place your fingers on the home row. That is, index fingers on the F and J keys. Now touch the trackpad with one of your thumbs. Now touch it with the other thumb. That's why.

4. MichaelKnight4Christ

MichaelKnight4Christ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I prefer a centered trackpad and I wonder sometimes since they reduced size and weight by eliminating the optical drive then I imagine how much more sleeker or lighter or just space saving it would be if they cut out some of the fancy prancy special effects strobe multi lighting options on the keyboard and just make it a basic color or two for choice, and eliminate the larger more button numerical keyboard for a smaller basic function less button keyboard.

As far as architecture goes I agree with those of you who await the lga1151 version of this machine, I kinda feel like this current version is a test model for what they have coming next. I'm pretty darn sure there will be many improvements to the lga1151 models not only with skylake but also general usage and features and the ever evasive battery life. The 4790k and skylake S may not be too different when it comes to base or turbo clocks but it would be nice having 4 hrs of battery life instead of 2hrs. I have been scouting notebooks so long that I remember seeing the improvements made to p150em that eventually lead up to the p150sm - a, and I think if people can wait then certainly you can bet 2015-2016 (zm2) or whatever will offer some nice notebooks.

The mxm b has lasted so long that I can relate to other peoples concerns on how much longer it will be supported. People can give reason and explanations until the cows come home about why it should still be supported but its still up to the manufactures when its all said and done and there is just no guarantee on it lasting until pascal or beyond which is I think is crippling the notebook buying industry not helping it. If people felt as secure as when they buy a desktop I think the notebook margin won't diminish it would skyrocket.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    TomJGX likes this.
  5. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Under the mxm specs set by the mxm-sig.org, mxm-b max power is set to 100W and a 256-bit memory bus.

6. Mr Najsman

Mr Najsman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You have been scouting a new laptop since the EM and are still waiting? What have you used for those three years.

jaybee83, TomJGX and ajc9988 like this.
  7. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's pretty much my thinking. I could wait and get the refreshed version for Skylake... then wait then wait for the refreshed version for Canonlake... then wait for the 2017 tock and Volta, the 2018 tick, the 2019 tock.... Point is, everything a year out will be "better".

Mr Najsman likes this.
  8. MichaelKnight4Christ

MichaelKnight4Christ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hahah yes, I have one laptop I bought in 2010 a dualcore with a 1gb ati card and its still a workhorse and thats what does it all right now. I may not wait for skylake or pascal though a current zm would be a very nice qualified update for me. I was actually going to get the psm-a but I didn't since they raised the price on the 4810mq option and the zm at the time was announced and I wanted to see what that would offer. Now that its here I am just waiting for maybe a new video card announcement and windows x pre configured plus this skylake talk about being a big upgrade for intel does make me curious. If I don't have a upgrade by 2016 I wont even comment anymore lol.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    TomJGX likes this.
  9. superkyle1721

superkyle1721 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have serious doubts that next gen laptops will be much faster than the current offerings from clevo. There really is no point in waiting. You seem fairly tech savvy so I'll say an OC 4790k will keep up with every offering for prob the next 2 years. Again this is my opinion and not based on hard facts just some reasons I have done.

TomJGX and ajc9988 like this.
  10. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Just saying, unless they put out as slimmer 2011 socket Skylake with either 1 or 2 gpus (meaning no optical drive), which would come out at earliest next summer, take the dive! Yes, they may develop a new mxm standard or go bga. The 115x socket will always only support one year because that is how Intel helps the mb partners make money. The server/commercial purchasers demanded at least two generation support, which is why socket 2011 supports two generation (lowers server costs by only purchasing mb for servers every 2 years or so. They also have more negotiating power because the Xeon server market is a large portion of their profit.).