*** Official Clevo P75xZM "Batman" / Sager NP9752 Owner´s Lounge | Welcome to the Batcave! ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Bruce Banner np9752

Bruce Banner np9752 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here's the problem I am running into. I have installed the touchpad "synaptic" driver from Sager's site. After I install it and restart, I still do not have an icon in system tray. So I go to control panel>hardware>mouse AND IT IS WHEN I CLICK MOUSE that I get an error message that pops up saying: "Unable to connect to synaptic pointing device driver" it gives me an option to uninstall synaptic driver if I hit yes. Which I have done. Then restarted and installed the synaptic driver again and restarted and received the same damn results. It is extremely frustrating and I feel I might be missing something yet I don't understand what other driver or software I could be missing besides the synaptic which I have installed numerous times.

Anyone have a similar issue or know how to fix this?

2. LetiferX

LetiferX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    +1 to this, I want to see what is possible with these mods that were discussed! I'll have my machine back in a week or so. Bought a second 980M to test the rest of the machine in order to maintain the warranty. I'll be replacing the caps on my original one when it returns and testing it in another shell before trusting it not to hurt the P770ZM. Not sure what I'll do with the second one assuming I fix my original 980M.

I set a new Firestrike bar before it was sent off, btw: 11030

2nd among all single gpu laptops and I had more headroom still.

jaybee83 and Scerate like this.
  3. superkyle1721

superkyle1721 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wish I had your money. My low asic quality is holding me back on fire strike OC but as far as CPU OC and temps I think I'm running one of the best chips so far!

jaybee83 and ajc9988 like this.
  4. Cormogram

Cormogram Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you know if there's any correlation metrics of ASIC Quality (%) to Maximum Frequency (MHz)?
    For example, considering two same model processors one with 65% ASIC Quality and the other with 75% what would be their difference in max freq?

5. LetiferX

LetiferX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Shouldn't be any net monetary loss overall since the card was purchased at cost and I should have no problem moving it (assuming I don't fail to repair the first one.) My CPU isn't close to yours, though. Ahh RNG, you terrible tease. A CPU like yours with a GPU like mine might be the only way to topple johnksss for #1 among single gpu laptops.

Some people claim there's no correlation, but my 79.3% ASIC tied to my firestike is good enough evidence for me. The ASIC quality tends to hint at the max potential of a chip at a specific voltage, assuming no other devices in the system hold the chip back. Unfortunately, Nvidia cripples these devices overall with peripheral chips that aren't the quality of those on desktop cards so it's a crap shoot on these chips on top of the silicon lottery for the Nvidia ASIC.

The 75% should be stable at higher overclocks, but it isn't that simple as I mention above. The voltage regulators, memory, etc. could suck on the 75% card and thus hold it back behind the 65% in overall performance. You'll have to overclock them and see for yourself!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    Cormogram and superkyle1721 like this.
  6. superkyle1721

Reputations:
    Yes asic quality could mean absolutely nothing as people are still gathering data to get a better idea of the true meaning. However in general high ASIC quality generally means you will have greater success with voltage stability hence higher clock speeds using air as your heat transfer medium. Lower ASIC quality verbally means you will have better voltage stability using a water cooled system. I'm not really sure why a lower ASIC card would clock higher than a high ASIC card by using a water cooler but that is the data as of now. And like I said its generally just a guideline. With that said my card seems to be the poorest ASIC quality of the group coming in at a measly 64.2% I was able to achieve what I thought was a fairly decent firestrike score until I was blown away by @LetiferX. Oh well that's how the lottery goes I guess. I'll spend my focus on having the only 5gzh batman since I'm so so close to getting it to stabilize.

jaybee83 and ajc9988 like this.
  7. MichaelKnight4Christ

MichaelKnight4Christ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    While on the subject of OC, does anyone find removing the under panel plate/ cpu/gpu cover help in heat reduction?

Also will this machine turn on if plugged in with no battery ?

I see a few of you have reached some nice numbers and have even higher numbers in mind I just wanted to get as sense of different kinds of beginner methods for simple oc's there are for this thing. I like to know the steps taken before heavy duty internal modding is needed.

8. The Djinn

The Djinn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can't answer your first question. But in regards to battery removal while plugged in, no that will not work. Its a straight circuit; power to battery to computer. Which coincidentally is why its difficult to set it so the battery discharges slightly before drawing more power to recharge, to preserve battery life.

9. superkyle1721

Reputations:
    If I was to start over with what I know and you are looking to lower temps in order to be able to OC this is the order of things I would do.
    1) undervolt as much as possible.
    2) apply high quality thermal paste
    3) ensure there is no warping with the heatsink
    4) delid the CPU
    5) sand and polish heatsink
    6) apply clu between ihs and heat sink (I tried this but did not work for me due to insufficient pressure but others have gotten it to work. Basically it's luck of the draw)
    7) ask @ajc9988 to instruct you to modify the cpu mount using the washer method.
    8) replace the safety spring screws with standard screws and ensure even contact pressure over all surface. (Very well possible however not recommended)
    9) replace heat pipes with higher quality pipes with much higher conductivity.
    If all of this doesn't get you where you want to be then you are out of luck haha.
    I know it's a quick rundown of what has been discussed in this thread but most likely all you will need to do is undervolt and apply high quality paste. The rest is a small group of us in a race to have the fastest processor in the batman.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    jaybee83, vitopl and ajc9988 like this.
  10. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ASIC quality is not a measure of production quality. It is strictly a measure of the ASIC's power efficiency.