*** Official Clevo P75xZM "Batman" / Sager NP9752 Owner´s Lounge | Welcome to the Batcave! ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Dec 11, 2014.

1. NestaRasta

NestaRasta Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry that part of the post had absolutely nothing to do with your issue. I definitely would have said "try these" or something to that effect. It was for everyone because it is frowned upon to create a second/double post (maybe I will move it into its own post soon though).

Anyways, looks like a cool monitor except for the resolution obviously :( If you want to give the Asus one more shot, you could try the following...

http://www.amazon.com/USB-3-0-Male-Cable-Female/dp/B007VUF1HY

and put it on the power-only connector of the Y cable. Then try plugging both of these new power-only ends into an empty powered hub or just jump to plugging all three into the laptop. Anyways, that is my last suggestion for you on the Asus, at least, for the moment.

This monitor definitely looks interesting (big brother of the one you linked to)...

http://www.amazon.com/Projected-Capacitive-Touchscreen-Compatible-thickness/dp/B00DS18ZTG

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  2. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep. MXM is, what, 16 PCIe 2.0 lanes? Right off the bat the GPU socket has at least four times the theoretical bandwidth of an M.2 connector.

3. MichaelKnight4Christ

MichaelKnight4Christ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I tell ya I still like this pc but the biggest blunder clevo taiwan did was not adding a thunderbolt/tb2 port on this thing lol. What I dont like is the unknown and I hate not knowing how long mxm 3.b will be supported. Anyway thanks for the feed back guys.

4. NestaRasta

NestaRasta Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. The Djinn

The Djinn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Saw for the first time today the eGPU options coming out of MSI and Asus. I can't wait for more manufacturers to pick that up, although unfortunately I don't see this being able to utilize something like that with its current external ports and their speed limitations. Exciting times; the day of the super-large desktop replacement might be coming to an end, to be replaced by a thin notebook with plug-and-play functionality.

6. MichaelKnight4Christ

Reputations:
    Theres still a big need for laptops with strong graphic cards like the 980m what the real problem is simply not knowing how long the mxmb pcie will be supported. If we knew a definitive time frame of how long the mxm is supported instead of it being a complete mystery then in reality a huge plug in docking station wont be needed. I like being able to move my pc around anyplace and having all the power I need in it without having to dock it just to play games or edit vids.

Alien ware and msi ect.. are taking what should be a back up and making it a full plan. Plus they are bottlenecking with weak cpus lol. Clevo needs to seal the deal and end competition with more laptops with desktop cpu's mxm mobile cards and a back up tb2 port and become king finally. I hope when broadwell/skylake is released they make a new "clevo 8xxzm" or a revision of the p150/170's with new mobo's, a tb2 port and more socketed mxm's (best of both worlds) not just one. The dream of having a fully upgradable laptop should be kept alive.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    jaybee83 and Prema like this.
  7. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thunderbolt has failed as a peripheral bus. The licensing and certification is expensive. The cables are stupidly expensive (fifty bucks for a 2 meter cable? Bite me, Apple). As a result, hardly anyone but Apple, which is Intel's partner so they don't have to pay, uses it. Many of those that did have been dropping support (Acer, Seagate). No, avoiding Thunderbolt isn't a blunder. It's the smart decision.

jaybee83 and D2 Ultima like this.
  8. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    PCI/e 3.0 lanes

9. ShadowKntSDS

ShadowKntSDS Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'd wager some of that is Apple being Apple.

10. MichaelKnight4Christ

Reputations:
    We have a difference in opinion, I dont think the thunderbolt has failed at all especially on a technological standpoint since those who have used it know its quite useful and efficient but, I am also aware that it may not be cost effective. Perhaps calling it a "clevo blunder "was a bit harsh for you but, thats just how I feel about it. I think it would have been neat to have that tb 2 as an optional package especially since clevo specializes in barebone. I also felt the same should have been done with the p15o/170's sm-a so I'm not new to this train of thought.

Also you said apple is intels partner true, however Intel is partners with many companies and by so they adopt their own tb ports for ex msi calls it lightpeak but its the same thing essentially. Asus, and even allienware has those options as well and frankly I hoped Clevo would have opened up a lane for that. Apple has been using that technology for years and other companies are just now starting to implement it such as asus msi alien ect... If Clevo implemented M.2 which was also something used by apple previously then maybe you can see why I was disappointed that there is no tb2 option.

I don't want to give the wrong impression here pal not starting a fuss here, I like Clevo machines and more than likely I may buy one in the near future as I think the clevo zm's and sm-a's are the best bang for bucks out there but I don't agree with some of Clevo's choices. For example, clevo's second biggest blunder to me is lack of bigger battery pack options for various notebooks.

Just so we have an understanding my opinion on clevo's blunders is not the focus, actually my concern or my biggest gripe is lack of knowing just how long the mxm socket will be supported. Last thing I want is to buy the last version of mxm 3 b only to see a version 3.c or 4.0 roll out the following year or two ending my upgrade path. GPU's are usually the bottleneck so knowing I can fall back use a egpu if my mxm is not supported when I may need it is important to me. This is why the TB2 would have been the perfect fail safe option.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015