*** Official Clevo P75xZM "Batman" / Sager NP9752 Owner´s Lounge | Welcome to the Batcave! ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Dec 11, 2014.

1. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @superkyle1721 Okay.
    @metacarpus Did your RMA include testing the power adapter? Call me paranoid but I just had my tower fry itself. Bad power is bad, and I'm wondering if there may be something wrong with the adapter you have.

2. MichaelKnight4Christ

MichaelKnight4Christ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    no replies to me yet eh? ill check back later good weekend people !

3. Seyumi

Seyumi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Quick question.

I may need to sell my laptop I literally just bought 60 days ago due to a change in my work schedule. Do you think this type of laptop is worth more as a whole unit or sell the expensive pieces then sell the laptop as a semi-barebone? This would be a no brainer with something like an Alienware laptop but I'm assuming the people who buy these laptops want them exactly the way they order it and know how to open up a laptop. I have a 4970k, 980m, 8GB 2133 Ram, and a 128GB Samsung SM951 M.2. I was thinking of possible selling those separately and then just the chassis, screen (4K sharp glossy), keyboard, network card, battery, ect. as the bare-bone unit. Anyone have any experience from prior sales? Thanks.

4. splinterfaction

splinterfaction Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My XMG U505 is due to arrive today. After so long researching all this I'm unbearable excited!

jaybee83 and Mr Najsman like this.
  5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Parts are more of a pain but usually give more.

jaybee83 likes this.
  6. Cormogram

Cormogram Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  7. Bruce Banner np9752

Bruce Banner np9752 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So the cable came in and just as I suspected, it DID NOT work. The exact same thing happens. The screen lights up and shows the ASUS logo, then goes black and the power light stays amber and picture is not sent to the monitor. This happens on my NP9752 and my Desktop.

Looks like the problem will never be solved at this point. I suppose I should try a different USB monitor even though I strongly suspect the same issue will happen.

EDIT: I purchased the 3.0 Y cable that you linked and still nothing.

8. MichaelKnight4Christ

MichaelKnight4Christ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is still a very new type of laptop and is a big draw in seller for those who know about it. I think you should sell it as slightly used just the way it is. BTW you mind if I ask why your selling it and what you plan to replace it with if any?

9. NestaRasta

NestaRasta Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow, that's too bad. I thought it would for sure especially after all of the issues that were solved by replacing the cable and specifically with a Y-cable. You plugged both of the USB plugs (blue and the white) on the one end into the computer obviously, right? Maybe there is some obscure setting or something strange. I would think there would be way more issues and complaints on Amazon if it didn't work on 2 (of 3?) of your computers. I would talk to sager/clevo about it and scour google and forums for people with the same problem because there have to be a lot of people who are or were in the same boat as you and hopefully will find a solution. Or, I guess RMA it and be done with it is obviously the other solution. I will be looking, too and I will let you know what I find. Good luck.

EDIT: A long shot...Are there some buttons to enter into an internal menu for the display? If so, have you tried to access it after plugging it into the laptop? Maybe there is a setting there that is causing it (especially brightness or the like).

RE-EDIT: A guy here was able to get it to work with a usb hub and a y-cable with his surface pro 2...

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...-with-the-surface-pro-2-usb-port.61084/page-2

Also, the suggestion was made to unplug everything from all USB ports to make sure there is enough current going to the monitor and not to other usb peripherals (def unplug anything from the esata/usb combo port too and any other monitors from hdmi and displayport just to make everything as simple as possible) and then plug in the data/power and power only plugs into the laptop (or better yet plug the power/white usb plug into a powered hub). Obviously, if you get it working using a powered hub that is not a long-term solution for the portability of the laptop and monitor but there could be a tweak that could be done to the BIOS or somewhere that could deliver more power to the internal USB ports. I really think it has to be a lack of power somehow.

Finally, after you have plugged in the monitor into the laptop, I would go into the device manager in the USB controllers area and make sure all of the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" are unchecked because adding the monitor may add a new USB device (i.e., the monitor or a part of the monitor) in this area that needs to have this setting changed.

RE-RE-EDIT: Surface Pro 3...same thing as above and with almost all of the issues i have seen in the reviews (and probably 100% of the ones solved) that I have seen on Amazon and elsewhere...insufficient power...another suggestion...look at the user manual for the Asus and see what power it needs and look at the user and/or service manual for the clevo/sager and find out what the power output is of the USB ports...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ork-with/bc8c743d-8ae2-4ceb-a85f-cb226f56c53b

RE-RE-RE: Found this in the batman manual...on page A-4... "if the power rating of your USB device is 500mA or above, make sure you use the power supply which comes with the device" and from reading the Surface Pro 3 issues, that it only supplies ~500ma too, tells me that this has to be the issue (besides all the other reasons I stated previously).

FINAL AND MOST IMPORTANT EDIT: I was just looking in the Asus MB168B+ manual and on page 3-1, it says it needs up to 5.5 watts. I believe that the USB 3.0 uses 5V so the amps would need to roughly be 1.1 (however, we would have to know the power factor to be more accurate and maybe that 5.5 watts is an outlier and not indicative of normal usage) vs the ~500ma supplied by the Batman's ports. Even though I am probably off by a bit, it is still accurate enough to tell us that there is just simply not enough power coming out of a single USB port on the Batman. Also, you might have to play around and find the right 2 ports for the data/power and power only plugs (or look at the service manual). Maybe some have higher power output than others (maybe the esta/usb combo port and the one behind it might be good ones to try).

Sigh Batman and here I thought you were supposed to be all powerful!!! :eek:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  10. metacarpus

metacarpus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No, I did not send them the power adapter when I RMAd. They said not to and it would have made the $140 shipping cost even higher due to more weight, I think.

Is it worth investing in a watt-o-meter? What's a good one to get off amazon? I've never used one in my life so I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Why can't stuff just work? :/
    I can't seem to get shadowplay to record. I know it wasn't available on laptops prior to 900 series cards, but I think it is now? Since I can turn it on, and display FPS. But Alt+F9/Alt+10 will not record anything. I actually managed to crash the computer by frantically pressing them multiple times though, so I guess it was at least attempting to do something? Driver is 347.88.

Also, since FrozenCPU is not accepting orders, where can I get fujipoly 17W pads? And do I need the 1.5 thickness ones? Jaybee would probably know, but it seems he's not been around much lately.