**Official Clevo P75xZM "Batman" / Sager NP9752 Owner´s Lounge** Welcome to the Batcave!

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Dec 11, 2014.

1. NestaRasta

NestaRasta Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I just got my new socket installed and my computer isn't booting all the way. I guess it is better than before, in that, I am not getting a clear cpu/socket error when attempting to power up like I was before the new socket was installed. The power light is now a steady green and before it was flashing green and beeping.

Also, now it stays on quite a lot longer (over 30 seconds now vs a couple of seconds before) and seems (and sounds) like it is going to boot but the screen doesn't turn on at all and eventually, the computer just silently shuts down. I reseated the RAM and double checked and redid a lot of the mainboard, etc connections but none of it helped. One thing that is odd is when I plug in the power adapter, the computer starts right away without hitting the power button.

One shortcut I took is that i didn't put any new thermal paste. I just left the residual paste on from the heatsink (because I wanted to wait to see if it would boot before I put on the new thermal paste). Could the computer be overheating on boot because of this? Also, I am sure it probably isn't anything but the keyboard color is red and the front light is yellow. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    No it should technically boot even with poor thermal contact.

Check all the fans are spinning and are fully plugged in.

3. NestaRasta

NestaRasta Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yep that is what I figured...fans are definitely plugged in well and spinning. Also, I removed my CMOS battery for an extended period before I got my new socket installed so that could cause some issues, right?

Another thing is that when the computer is powered off now-the green light in the front for the battery is lit (which if I remember correctly is normal when the battery is charged) but the AC power indicator is yellow which is definitely abnormal.

Finally, booting from the battery only has the same exact results as when plugged in. I think that is about all the info I can think of at the moment. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  4. sformasforma

sformasforma Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi;

any options in regards to 15" @120Hz panels?

Regards,

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Sounds like something passive on the board has died.

6. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Newbie

Reputations:
    Just wanted to ask is there ANY way that a GTX 1060 or GTX 1070 can be fitted in this amazing laptop as it uses eDP I have a feeling it is possible. I have the money but I just want to buy the right card thats if a gpu upgrade is even possible.

7. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The few MXM form factor 1060 cards out there won't fit properly and we don't have the auxiliary power connector the cards require. I'm sure with enough effort you could get one to work but it's not a drop-in replacement for the 980M.

There's been some noodling here about getting an external adapter fitted. In principle it should be possible to use a M2 to PCIe connector with a powered breakout box. In practice? I don't know that anyone has tried it.

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The performance hit though would be pretty big with that solution to external GPU.

9. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    TechPowerup ran tests with a GTX 1080 in a range of PCIe slots from 1.1 x4 to 3.0 x16. The results are interesting:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_PCI_Express_Scaling/24.html

Going from PCIe 3.0 x16 down to PCIe 2.0 x4 gets you a 10-15% performance hit. Even with that hit GTX 1070 and 1080 are much faster than GTX 980M.

NB: by "performance hit" I mean "framerate drop".

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017 at 4:28 PM
  10. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Newbie

Reputations:
    There is a way, I found it on a chinese website called baidu, some guy removes the m.2 connector and adds an msi GTX 1070 rev 1.0 in the mxm slot. I know that thermal temperatures will increase on the gpu but tbh I don't really care as long as this laptop performs better than before in gaming.

EDIT LINK: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4889598899

Might want to view on mobile so you can see all the pages, unless you have a baidu account...

Kommando likes this.