*** Official Clevo P75xDM and P77xDM/Sager NP9758-G and NP9778-G "Batman 2.0" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by ProFX, May 18, 2015.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    That is likely just going to increase costs even more. Unless you can use current low price DIMMs and not specially manufacture them then the cost will be prohibitive.

MichaelKnight4Christ likes this.
  2. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hardware or firmware?

3. MichaelKnight4Christ

MichaelKnight4Christ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm tempted on getting the current zm but having the fresh new skylake and thunderbolt is what I wanted from the original in the first place. I'm staring to wonder if the zm will still be sold along side this new one since broadwell chips are expected soon and aside from the cpu board everything else is similar. Whadaya think pals?

4. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Been asking this for a while. They say hardware, but if hardware , what RAID controller chip are they using?

5. Any_Key

Any_Key Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1.) Willing to bet the ZM will still be sold when the DM is release. It will appear cheaper compared to the DM and will satisfy the value-buyers.
    2.) Is there a bios upgrade for this laptop that allows Broadwell? I know the Z97 chipsets are compatible with Broadwell but only by bios update from the vender. Even if it isn't, the only thing you'll get with Broadwell compared to Haswell is the die-shrink and the Iris Graphics for integrated, which for this laptop is pointless.

6. MichaelKnight4Christ

MichaelKnight4Christ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The original zm is pretty expensive as it is and selling it along side the dm model is what I think will happen also. As far as value I goes I think the original zm is pretty expensive and If clevo is smart they will price it with similar tags and options while reducing the zm. As for what you said about the igpu I agree and that also goes for skylake as well . Essentially the ddr4 and or the skylake chips is where I see the increase.

edit
    If they do replace the zm I could understand also since broadwell is the last and only offers a lower tdp die shrink and iris. I think it would make sense to replace the zm line completely now that I think of it. And for all we know its possible ddr3 may still even be used in the DM since skylake supports both.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  7. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's very unlikely for any hardware RAID to be present when firmware is already there and about as good. Not to mention a hardware RAID chip could make things more messy when you're not trying to use it.

8. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    By firmware you mean Intel Chipset?

9. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Who knows? This anomaly might become the norm and that's what I'm hoping for :p

Agreed.. I don't see costs going down with this.. Just see it as a way for Intel/RAM makers to suck more money..

The ZM with Z97 chipset will support Broadwell.. Clevo are releasing a BIOS update and Prema already has a BETA or something of it.. @Prema can you give more details plz?

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes, firmware raid is controlled via the bios so is bootable but is still run off the cpu.