*** Official Clevo P75xDM and P77xDM/Sager NP9758-G and NP9778-G "Batman 2.0" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by ProFX, May 18, 2015.

1. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    You have to ask :vbbiggrin: ?

Of course it will; first adopters always pay the markup (recuperating development cost), once that crowd's been saturated then prices will drop by 1/3th or so and the not-necessarily-the-latest-but-still-want-good-stuff people are up. And only after that will you pay pure production cost (+ profit margin).

Here's an aptly titled article, explaining the concept;

[​IMG]

Clevo's certainly not as extreme as this, but DDR4's not going to help here. If you can wait and do with a little less; memory, storage and cpu's especially are prone to this effect.

Prema likes this.
  2. Any_Key

Any_Key Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just comparing the cost between Crucial DDR3/4 retail:

8GB SODIMM
    DDR3: $92.99
    DDR4: $138.99

16GB Kit:
    DDR3: $111.99
    DDR4: $277.99

Its gon'na cost a wee-bit more. I'd wager the unit itself (sans processor and RAM) is going to be a $100.00 more than current model. Then add in the additional cost of the DDR4 and Skylake so maybe $200.00 more, just my conservative estimate.

TomJGX and Prema like this.
  3. MichaelKnight4Christ

MichaelKnight4Christ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hopefully dd3 will be supported on the same board and skylake should be around the same price as current haswell prob a bit more. Broadwell from what I seen are the real expensive chips.

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    DDR3 and DDR4 have different pinouts so that will not happen.

5. desktopsheavyonlap

desktopsheavyonlap Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Oh man. you gotta be kidding me. This changes everything then.

6. bigspin

bigspin My Kind Of Place

Reputations:
    DDR3 also have better timings than DDR4. I really hope Clevo will stick with DDR3 for first gen Skylake platform.

7. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    t456 likes this.
  8. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Great news (if Clevo adopts it, that is). Would be perfect to recycle old banks, wait a year and then upgrade to DDR4 (at lower cost/higher capacity/speed/reliability, whatever the motivation).

edit:
    Even better; it'll have to supply power to accommodate DDR3 which is, if this is still valid, much higher than equivalent DDR4. So ... 40% less power for similar bandwidth, subtract power for ~20% higher speed, leaves 20% more power than the DDR4 banks would normally need; oc potential only found on a UniDIMM system.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  9. MichaelKnight4Christ

MichaelKnight4Christ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah but then again the unidimm system itself may cause more expense. I'm kinda concerned about the price of this future dm model. I hope clevo/sager remember that the price is one of the major selling points to their machines and provide plenty of options to suit a wide range of clients. I'm not afraid to say I was disappointed with how most sager/clevo retailers did not provide the price or options I wanted for the first zm. Some stores had good prices but few options then other stores had much more options like cheaper cpu's but the overall price was still higher. Even a barebones build did not give me the prices I needed and even with missing parts still averaged about the same.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  10. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Clevo has a unique product... They can charge what they want for it. The P570WM was not cheap either. If you ask me, the ZM was an anomaly.

TomJGX and MichaelKnight4Christ like this.