*** Official Clevo P67xRP6-G/P67xRS-G (Sager NP8172/8173) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by D2 Ultima, Sep 11, 2016.

1. scajjr2

scajjr2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm having a similar issue with my Eluktronics P670RS-G that started about a month ago. Reboots when it gets to the first Windows screen or after I enter my password. Usually I end up after 3 tries at the Recovery screen where I just select restart Windows and it works just fine. I do have one other issue that started the same time is the BIOS will freeze and still will freeze after using the laptop for a while and restarting to go into the BIOS, Win 10 loads normally after any restart after laptop has been running for a while.

Event viewer shows" Event 37 Kernel-Processor-Power The speed of processor x in group y is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for z seconds since the last report ".
    (x, y & z values can change), shows event for all cores, always at the time of the first boot up of the day, never afterwards.
    No GPU warnings or errors, happens using 1070 or Intel graphics. Laptop running off AC power most of the time but does it on battery when I tried it as well but still boots normally after the Recovery screen.

The BIOS always seems to freeze up on the Exit tab, I can go through the options on other pages fine until I get to the Exit tab. It saves any change though even though I never can get to respond to F4 or the save changes & exit option.

Fans all work, I take cover off a couple times a year to blow them out.

Any suggestions?

Sam

2. baytotheapple

baytotheapple Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have this same error (The speed of processor x in group y is being limited by system firmware) and random restart problem. My GPU is definitely dead as well and I'm not sure if the GPU dying was an isolated event or related to the random restarts. I gave up on trying to fix the issue and now just use it as a steam gaming laptop for my son.

It usually restarts a few min after after removing or plugging in the AC adapter. But once it's done restarting a few times (annoying my son) it stops resetting itself for the rest of the day.

3. scajjr2

scajjr2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I don't have any GPU errors in the event viewer. I guess I'll shoot an email off to Eluktronics and see what they say. I've tried to find a modded BIOS cause I'd like to see if forcing the CPU to run all cores at max fixes it. The stock BIOS is severely limited.

Sam

baytotheapple likes this.
  4. squee666

squee666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    finally upgraded my NVMe from the random adata i got to an OEM samsung pulled from a lenovo for the cheap, installed the drivers, upgraded the firmware pretty fast overall.

[​IMG]

Papusan likes this.
  5. Meccathor

Meccathor Newbie

Reputations:
    Edit: Nevermind, I manually downloaded the latest driver from the nvidia website and that worked.

Driver updates.
    I have a NP8173 with a GTX1070 mobile that I bought way back in 2016 from LPC Digital. I've been having some crashing issues with a few new games that I think are the cause of my Nvidia drivers being insanely out of date. I used to use Obsidian updater to keep things up to date, but that software updated and now needs to be purchased to work with the link to purchase inside the app not working.

I tried using geforce experience to install the latest drivers, but that is giving me an error message when I try to update. Is there any other source that I can get up to date graphics drivers for my laptop?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's usually the most reliable method (the manual download) though I'm surprised gfe was doing that to you.

7. baytotheapple

Reputations:
    GPU died a few months ago. The GPU doesn't show up in the device manager at all. Overall my Sager NP8172 is still working well and I'd like to keep using it for work and anything that doesn't require external display/games/video editing.

However I can't figure out why it sometimes has 2-3 random restarts (nothing in the error logs) before I can use it for a long period of time without restarting at all.

If I turn on the notebook sometime during the first 20 minutes of using it there are 2-3 restarts and then no more restarts for a few hours until I stop using it.

If it's just on but I haven't used it in an hour or so and I go back to using the machine then it once again has 2-3 restarts until I can use it for another few hours.

It's almost like the computer has to warm up or something.

Temperatures are fine. Nothing abnormal there.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I'm dumb. All I had to do was remove the Nvidia drivers. I guess the computer was trying to switch to the dead GPU and kept rebooting.

EDIT #2: Problem came back a week later but its not as bad as before.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  8. Lynx2017

Lynx2017 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wonder if it is possible the CMOS battery is going bad? they can go bad every 5-10 years sometimes sooner on rare occasions. perhaps get a new CMOS battery, pop it in and see if that fixes the issue? if not... then I have no idea. take the old one out first to see if it has an exact item number first. usually they are all same generic round ones, fairly cheap.

9. baytotheapple

Reputations:
    Thank you I was about to try this but it looks like I figured it out.

I was randomly removing programs and noticed that the Nvidia software/drivers were still installed. I haven't seen them in the system tray for months. I removed them and the problem is GONE.

I'm an idiot for trying every single thing to troubleshoot except remove the Nvidia drivers. Hundreds of random reboots are now gone!

EDIT: Problem came back a week later but instead of 6-7 reboots its 1-2.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's possible the GPU is spewing out garbage over the PCI-E connector, or a solder joint is loose somewhere.