*** Official Clevo P67xRP6-G/P67xRS-G (Sager NP8172/8173) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by D2 Ultima, Sep 11, 2016.

1. squee666

squee666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah im already using Kryo which works fine, i even tested liquid metal but the pressure wasnt good enough for it to be effective but having a voltage curve closer to the max Q design clocks makes a difference im not doing it for any special but if theres no problems its free real estate

also anyone else notice the display gets temporary burnin if you leave an image on it too long, usually a bright white one

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  2. baytotheapple

baytotheapple Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm not sure yet but it seems like my graphics card might be starting to fail.

My Sager N8172/Clevo P670RP6 is sometimes rebooting itself at the BIOS screen, rebooting/freezing a few seconds after it loads Windows 10 or freezing before windows 10 loads with a blank screen. I have to keep rebooting to get it to load into Windows 10 correctly. These problems have been around for about a week. It's locked up Starcraft II a once or twice recently also. I did re-paste about two months ago.

I've tried:
    • removing the graphics driver with DDU and reinstalling newest drivers
    • rolling back the most recently installed windows 10 "features" updates
    • latest restore point
    • check for disk errors/defrag
    • run windows 10 startup repair
    • fresh install of windows 10
    • reverting back to the original NVIDIA drivers
    It seems to be little better (too early to tell, but Starcraft II isn't locking up), but now that I'm back on the original drivers the screen sometimes goes dark for a second when using different applications. I can see some trailing green dots when this happens.
    Anything else worth trying to fix it? Thanks for any advice.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  3. RZR

RZR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Latest drivers shouldn't give you any trouble.

Check your W10 event viewer to see what causes the freezes/reboots. If it's the GPU then something related to it should show up (like: "nvlddmkm" stopped working and recovered successfully); if not, then you should get the cause there (if I recall right, thermal events also show up there...). If you are on Linux, check your logs for any GPU related error (like: "GPU XX has fallen off the bus" which is quite self explanatory...). If you find these, then most likely nvidia's GPU is failing and, most likely, you'll need another motherboard.

Try Intel's GPU to check if it also freezes with it.

4. baytotheapple

Reputations:
    Thank you. I don't see anything in the W10 event viewer from the last crash/reset but I'll have to check it again later today. I was also running the windows boot logging and didn't see anything out of the ordinary there. For Starcraft II this showed up in the log right before it froze (when I was using the new driver):

GFX 22:41:59.115 D3D9 Device Reset from unknown returned e_errorKindGfx(0)
    GFX 22:42:41.376 DirectX call m_device->TestCooperativeLevel() failed with error code -2005530520
    GFX 22:42:44.853 DirectX call m_device->TestCooperativeLevel() failed with error code -2005530519
    GFX 22:42:44.853 DirectX call failed with error code -2005530519
    GFX 22:42:44.853 Lost D3D9 device
    GFX 22:42:45.159
    GFX 22:42:45.159 D3D9 Device Reset from ::OnRender returned e_errorKindGfx(0)

This looks more like a software than hardware error to me.

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Looks like a graphics driver crash/reset command.

baytotheapple likes this.
  6. RZR

RZR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That one looks like software's. The rebooting/freezing on W10 startup looks more worrisome. You could also try to stress the GPU with 3dmark's tests or a demanding game, if it's failing, most likely, it'll crash there.

7. baytotheapple

Reputations:
    Thank you for this. I dug into error logs in Windows 10 and couldn't find anything. Was about to play Starcraft II and then it reset again. Installed 3dMark and ran Firestrike. It crashed a few minutes into the Firestrike Demo and reset again. I ran Firestrike another time and once again it reset at a different spot in the Firestrike Demo.

Does this confirm that the GPU is on it's way out? Had a good run I guess, 4 years old. I'm a bit sad. I'll still use it but since I need an external display and can't use the Intel chip I'll get one of those USB C to 4k things.

Time to start research for a new machine. Maybe something with a 10th gen i7 or Ryzen 4800H with RTX 2060...suddenly I'm not sad anymore.

I'll try Witcher 3 in the morning to see if that crashes.

8. RZR

RZR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    And no error log for the Firestrike run? This is what a W10 error log of a failing GPU looks like:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...s-owners-lounge.795090/page-527#post-10471323
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...s-owners-lounge.795090/page-527#post-10471445

Run Firestrike with different drivers, if the GPU is failing it should crash with any of them. Check CPU/GPU temp. when running them, and remove undervolting/overclocking if you have any. Try also Intel's GPU to see if it crashes with it. If you have another PSU try the other too, to rule out a faulty PSU.

9. baytotheapple

Reputations:
    Updated the driver, ran Firestrike and it crashed. Put the notebook into MSHYBRID, disabled the NVIDIA GTX 1060, and the Intel graphics chip ran the Firestrike test (horribly slow) without crashing. Don't have another PSU for the notebook to test.

And it does look like my event viewer log is like what you linked. I ignored it before because it was a "warning" flag instead of error or critical. "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." attached in screenshot.

[​IMG][​IMG] eventviewer_display.PNG

10. RZR

RZR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That warning is a TDR failure regarding the display driver, so your GPU or driver is the one behind the crashes. And crashing that often is usually not a good sign.

Yup, looks like your GPU is failing. If it crashes with several drivers (even with those that used to work fine before) and several games/tests you can rule out driver/software issue.