*** Official Clevo P65xSA/SE/SG / Sager NP8650/51/52 Owner´s Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    In a way power unlocking is a form of being overclocked and as you see there are consequences that are very similar.

2. Boothbot

Boothbot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow! Look at the score! I didn't come close to that, even with overclocking! The heat must have been throttling my system to death!

I'll try again when the new fans come. Ill install them plus pads plus heat sinks for the ram/M2 and report back!

3. Boothbot

Reputations:
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I don't think there is much of a functional difference for your machine. There might have been some power circuitry in the new layout to cool there, I'm just trying to remember.

Boothbot likes this.
  5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The cutout is because there are a couple capacitors on the P65xSx board that would get in the way.

You can see in the comparison pics how it has more copper than the original and connects directly to the fan shroud.

Boothbot likes this.
  6. weav

weav Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have the revised cooler. It keeps from thermal throttle when stress testing. I think I posted it ages ago. Below is a stress test for your reference. I know with the old cooler it would hit the thermal limit. And the new one has more mass directly connected to the fan instead of only the heatpipes and transfers heat quicker.. FWIW.

edit.. this is with fans set to automatic. Added another pic with 10 min stress test with fans set to automatic. As you see no thermal throttle. Still have issues with current/power throttle but is what it is.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Boothbot likes this.
  7. Boothbot

Reputations:
    Ah, thanks! Might be worth picking up! Since repasting the CPU I've had zero thermal throttling (used to have it a LOT) but even when I tried undervolting the current throttling still kicks in. Impossible to get rid of it I think

8. Boothbot

Reputations:
    You know lots, let me ask you.

I've been doing a spot of undervolting today, for fun. Please note DoA Venus Vacation is running in the background here. Look at this first pic (it is NOT undervolted yet, I didn't click "apply"). Look at that awful EDP throttling! I hate it!

https://imgur.com/a/mKG7XK6

So now I undervolt to -.040v, and the EDP throttling is not as bad:

https://imgur.com/a/0AgjVwE

So now I got it to -070v (it crashed at -080v) and it's still throttling a bit, and the temps haven't seemed to have gone down much.

https://imgur.com/a/UH1ngRE

Any tips or suggestions? Anything else to tinker with? Do you see anything MESSED UP in those pics? I'm not great at this at all!

9. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bump the current to 100-110A, and repaste your laptop, given the model it(and so its age) it might be needing a proper clean and repaste.

10. Boothbot

Reputations:
    I cleaned and repasted it last week! Bumping the current to 100A removed the EDP throttling! But now I get power limiting throttling haha

https://imgur.com/a/1KnGaKw