**Official Clevo P65xSA/SE/SG / Sager NP8650/51/52 Owner´s Lounge**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Likely just thermal creep on the connector/cable. Reseat it fully and see if that resolves it.

2. onick

onick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am also noticing this problem with keyboards, some of the keys need multiple strokes to register. I think the keys may be probably going bad or something. so i have been searching ebay and came across a few replacement boards, does anyone have any experience with the replacement selling on eBay?

3. skandal

skandal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, but from what I gathered they seem legit :)

onick likes this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not enough of a market for lots of fakes AFAIK.

onick likes this.
  5. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello there,

You can use an unlocked M.2 3042 LTE module from the likes of the Qualcomm Snapdragon X5, commonly branded as the HP LT4120 Snapdragon X5.

Sample listings:

1. Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/LT4120-Snapdragon-T77W595-796928-001-150Mbps/dp/B078MH2F2S

2. eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-LT4120-...4G-WWAN-M2-Modem-Module-150Mbps-/302394542778

If that slot is available on your laptop, be assured that the antennas for it are already provided.
    I had the same issue with following up on the same information with Origin and all I got was crickets. Their tech support is ****.

To get it working on Linux, apply the following udev rules: https://github.com/borovsky/x5-snapdragon-linux/tree/master/udev

Install that under /lib/udev/rules.d

If you dual boot, you won't need the firmware steps listed in the repository. As at the present, libqmi can initialize the modem fully and have it used in network manager and modem-manager for session initialization and data monitoring respectively.

And a small tip when sourcing the LTE modules:

1. Avoid the older Telstra Gobii LTE modules. They're often older and their firmware often has issues with band selection, both on Linux and on Windows.

2. A good bet: The Huawei line. They tend to be globally unlocked, but for newer LTE features (such as ISM band 28(700MHz) support is lacking.

3. Best bet: What I recommended above. Reason: You can get them locally from any IT shop near you, because current-gen HP notebooks use them. Bonus point, always unlocked and they support the band 28 (700MHz) which offers superior performance on LTE-only networks.

6. Baddack

Baddack Newbie

Reputations:
    Any luck on finding the Prema BIOS? I'm looking for it as well for my p650SG in order to help my buddy out with some dev work.

Does anyone have it? I'd be really grateful for it!

Hossbando likes this.
  7. CivicJDM

CivicJDM Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Howdy. I'm trying to run a dual-boot setup with Windows 10 LTSB and Windows 7 Ultimate. I have an issue in Windows 7 where there is no precision with the brightness levels. Each time I press Fn+F9 the brightness jumps by about 15-20% like it does in Windows 10, but when I move the brightness slider in Power Options it also jumps by the same 15-20% steps. In Windows 10 the brightness slider offers complete precision to 1% accuracy, which SHOULD also happen in Windows 7.

Is there a solution to this problem? I'm running the latest HD4600 drivers from the Intel website and have also tried the drivers from the Clevo website.

8. Hossbando

Hossbando Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been looking for over a week now and I have not had any luck finding a copy of the Prema bios for the P650SG. The old download pages aren't even cached or archived.

I have had huge issues with keyboard buffering on my P650SG (release the key after pressing it for an interval, but keypress is still registering. Annoying when you release a key, but the keypress continues repeating anywhere from 2-10+ seconds), as well as visual anomalies (some sort of ghosting with white pixels, not just an IPS issue as it's replicated on other monitors. Enabling Vsync clears most of it up but not all of it.). I'd love to try reflashing the 980M except NOBODY provides the vBIOS, so nvflash is basically worthless, I can't even do a simple "replace-in-kind" if the vBIOS is corrupted, which is ridiculous.

These problems exist independently of the operating system, the keyboard buffer issue is replicable in FreeDos, Linux, and multiple windows installations, and the video issue is also OS independent. Even If this could be "solved" by installing the hotkey software, then that's not really a solution since the hardware should be properly made in the first place and should be as independent of operating system and/or drivers as possible. The simpler the chain, the fewer links that can break. The video corruption issue is not a ram or overheating issue (have run memory checks on both system and video ram with no issues, operating temperatures seem to be normal.)

I reflashed the EC and BIOS to the clevo repository from http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-bios-older-models-released-in-after-2014.790474/ in place of the reseller's bios, and it cleared up the keyboard buffering (for the most part) EXCEPT for the w key. There are no keyboard buffer issues if I plug in a USB keyboard but that defeats the portability of the system in the first place. I could easily build a desktop with a similar form factor which is significantly more powerful if I merely wanted a set-top box.

The 980M performs beautifully except for the ghosting issues, and otherwise the Clevo build quality is quite nice. I'm switching back to Lenovo after this though, between the secretiveness of the resellers and the unavailability of tech support (and unwillingness to help for people with older models. Thanks for nothing, Eurocom.) leaving the rest of us who don't have the time or knowledge to delve into EC/BIOS modding to this morass of unhelpfulness, I'm thoroughly disgusted with the whole experience of owning a Clevo. I'll dissuade everyone I know from ever buying or dealing with Clevo or Clevo-rebrands because of the dumpster fire that is Clevo-reseller tech support. Which is a complete shame since I do think the build quality is nice and working on the chassis is relatively simple (looking at you, HP.)

I'm going to try to reflash to the Schencker/XMG bios for my model (from https://www.mysn.de/driver/ ), and hope for the best, and I'll report back if it's successful at fixing any of the issues for anyone who may have these problems in the future. If I don't post after this, then my system has become a doorstop.

Edit: reflashed to XMG EC and BIOS, but keyboard problem is still present. Framerates have improved noticeably, fewer graphical issues, but some corruption still present. Perhaps flashing the vBIOS to an upgraded or non-corrupted version would resolve it.

Edit #2: For anyone who might be in a similar situation regarding vBIOS problems:

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...&version=&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

This is a collection of all the 980M vBIOS files that I have been able to find (the only place on the internet I have been able to find this resource) which might work for people with different cards. The Clevo 4gb card is registered as 10DE 13D7 but the vBIOS is not compatible with the Asus 4gb which has the same Vendor and Device ID (I suspect because the Subsystem IDs are different).

Interestingly, this Clevo 4gb card does not allow GPU-Z to read/save the vBIOS, and nvflash only works every other time. I suspect there is some sort of fault with the card (again, likely the vBIOS), although there is no instability in high-demand applications.

This is the exact card in the database, but it's "unverified" and there are no updates, unfortunately. https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/166323/166323

I will attempt to flash with this upload after running some checksums etc, and report back with an edit later on.

Edit 3: Pulled the card's vbios with nvflash, the md5 checksum matches, so I won't bother reflashing. If there had been a discrepancy I would have.

Including some additional keywords so hopefully this post shows up in any internet searches for people with similar issues:
    P650SG P65XSX P6XXSX BIOS EC 1.05.01 Haswell
    Clevo-Kapok GTX 980M 4gb vBIOS
    white pixel ghosting game in-game
    keypress repeat repeating

Edit 4:
    Very interesting issue cropping up! There's a version mismatch of the exact same file! I backed up the vBIOS weeks ago before all the tinkering I've done and I can save an identical (md5 hashsum match) copy of it FROM the card, I can't write TO the card because of the mismatch.
    Nvflash shows:
    Adapter: GeForce GTX 980M (10DE,13D7,1558,6556)
    BUT
    Subsystem Vendor ID : 0x10DE
    Subsystem ID : 0x0000
    is shown in the exact same output! When trying to flash, huge mismatch issue!

Edit 5: Forced a new flash with nvflash -6 of someone else's vBIOS for the same card (matched hashes), the display errors seemed to quiet down slightly, but that might just be me getting used to them.

It's a real shame, it's quite a nice system and it'd be fantastic if it weren't for these two glaring issues.

Edit 6: Someone was kind enough to link a copy of Prema's vBIOS mod for this 980M and THE VIDEO CORRUPTION ISSUES ARE COMPLETELY GONE. The Certification Bypass version of nvflash was required, and the nvidia drivers had to be completely uninstalled before the graphics adapter could be detected by nvflash, but it worked beautifully.

Edit 7: It looks like I'm not the only one who has had this issue: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3150110/keyboard-key-stuck-clevo-p650se.html
    I think it absolutely has something to do with the "gaming key" function of the Clevo keyboard, but there's no damn documentation on it and whether it can be disabled through some Fn+ key combination or if there's an EC update.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018 at 11:18 AM
  9. CivicJDM

CivicJDM Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have the latest Prema BIOS & vBIOS for 970M P650SE if anyone wants it. I was in the same situation where I could not download it from the Prema website or anything like that. In the end I managed to get it by sending a PM to the man himself on these forums. :)

10. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you get permission to share it?

Prema likes this.