**Official Clevo P65xSA/SE/SG / Sager NP8650/51/52 Owner´s Lounge**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Oct 13, 2014.

1. lord677

lord677 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I've owned a Sager 8652 for about two years now. I've been running into overheating problems which definitely weren't present when I first bought the laptop. Opened it up, cleaned all the vents. Well, it turns out not only was it dusty, but the original thermal paste was degrading. There wasn't full contact with the die and heatsink.

Sager gave me two sticks (one thick, one a little thin) of what I assume to be OEM thermal compound. I went ahead, removed the remnants of the old stuff with good 'ol Iso alcohol and a plastic scraper. Cleaned die with RayBan Microfiber cloth. I then applied a carefully cut square each on the GPU and CPU die and screwed the heat sink back on (which was tight, since the paste was a thick solid.)

Well, I screw everything back in place, run Call of Duty BO3, and it becomes worse than before. I'm talking 200+ F temps. Which was considerably worse than when I went and cleaned the vents (I was getting around 190 before). I can't even play any of my games above 45 fps any longer. Does anyone have any experience putting on the OEM paste from Sager?

2. skandal

skandal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You probably applied a thermal pad. Try to find Grizzly Kryonaut, Gelid Extreme or Arctic MX-4 (by order of preference) on local shops.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Those pads are included for adding M.2 drives. As above get one of the pastes mentioned to do a re-apply.

4. KevinDieSeegurke

KevinDieSeegurke Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

Got a problem with my Schenker (clevo) German brand. P651.
    My i7 4720hq hits during gaming (Pubg) max 99° c. Gtx 970m is "fine" with about max 80° c.
    Had to disable the turbo boost (windows max power options to 99%) - Without the turbo the temperature of CPU is fine with about ~ 76° C.

So 3 questions:
    1. That's not normal for this model?!
    2. Should I try to repast? Half year ago I used grizzly kyronaut. Maybe something went wrong?! Maybe the heatsink is broken, I've read they often get broken...

Please, can someone send me a photo of where they are thermal pads? Especially in the heatsinks? I only recognized one of my m2 ssd. I recognize I haven't thermal
    pads and others have, saw them on a photo a few pages ago. I'm not sure if a buddy of mine removed them during repast the compound...

Big thanks!

Regards

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    When did you last clean the heatsink?

KevinDieSeegurke likes this.
  6. KevinDieSeegurke

KevinDieSeegurke Newbie

Reputations:
    Uhm.. Never. Do you mean to clean it with alcohol or remove dust from it?

Regards

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Yes, opening the bottom up, holding the fans still and then using compressed air to blow out any dust. Shining a torch through the gaps will double check there is not a matt stuck between the fan and metal.

8. KevinDieSeegurke

KevinDieSeegurke Newbie

Reputations:
    Ups sorry, I misunderstood you. Yes I did this, but unfortunately it didn' hhelped (much).

9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Did you check like I said that you could clearly see light through the heatsink and there was not a carpet hiding inbetween?

10. KevinDieSeegurke

KevinDieSeegurke Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks I will give it a try the next days, will try to renew the thermal compound.. But I'm not 100% sure, if I'll get the right amount of compound