*** Official Clevo P65xSA/SE/SG / Sager NP8650/51/52 Owner´s Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Speenuh

Speenuh Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys! First time poster here. Glad to see there is still so much activity from owners of this now couple year old laptop.

I've decided to post today because I have been running into an issue with my Sager NP8652-S for nearly a year now, that for the life of me I can't seem to figure out the root cause to (and apologies if it has been posted before, I honestly haven't looked through the 900+ pages of this thread). My laptop has the i7 4720HQ and the 980m, and for some reason that is totally beyond me, my 4720HQ refuses to go past 1.6 GHz when on battery power. I have messed around in the Windows settings, bios, and have formatted Windows several times. Up until today I have been using a program called "Throttle Stop" that fixes the issue (when the program is running), but as I am now giving this laptop to my sister due to me "upgrading" to an Alienware 15 (I know, cliche right?), I would like to see if there is a way to solve this without having an extra piece of software running at all times.

I'm a pretty tech savvy guy, having built multiple computers and have been messing around with them and tweaking them for over a decade (yes, I'm 20, and "over a decade" puts me at <10 years old. I have truly been messing around with computers since then). So if you need ANY information from me, no matter how technical, I should more-than-likely be able to provide it for you. I really appreciate any help that you guys can provide, and look forward to you guys' responses.

-Anthony

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's in there so the 980M can be freed up as much as possible without exceeding the battery safety specifications. I don't think even Prema's mods tried to get around that.

3. Xdrqgol

Xdrqgol Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys, quick question about the Mini Display ports/Hdmi port on Clevo P651SE model.

There are 2 mini display ports and 1 HDMI port

Now the thing that I was wondering about buying a 27'' Monitor 144hz (Acer 27" Predator XF270H) for it.
    Which connection do you recommend I use :

- mini display ports
    -hdmi

Is it worth 144hz vs 60hz?

Thanks to all in advance for reading my post.

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It would have to be display port to get the resolution/refresh rate. Then you have to check what the IGP can do in terms of max resolution and refresh rate.

Xdrqgol likes this.
  5. Xdrqgol

Reputations:
    thanks for your reply.

From the 2 mini display ports, there is none linked to 970M directly? or both are to IGP?

• Processor Graphics ‡Intel® HD Graphics 4600
    • Graphics Base Frequency400 MHz
    • Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency1.20 GHz
    • Graphics Video Max Memory2 GB
    • Graphics OutputeDP/DP/HDMI/VGA
    • Max Resolution (HDMI 1.4)‡3840x2160@60Hz
    • Max Resolution (DP)‡3840x2160@60Hz
    • Max Resolution (VGA)‡2880x1800@60Hz
    So this means that if I buy a 144hz monitor, I will not benefit from that refresh rate?

6. aveyer

aveyer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've used an Asus 144hz monitor on the P670SG before, using displayport.
    Was running at 2560 x 1440 but 120hz was highest refresh rate, still a huge improvement over 60hz.

The displayports are fed by the IGP (intel hd graphics 4600)
    You need display port for high resolutions and refresh rates, and a good cable.

7. Xdrqgol

Reputations:

Thanks for the reply. How did you achieve 120hz, when the IGP like you see above states 60hz...?

I will definitely buy a good cable:), I just need to know if it works before I buy the monitor as that is pretty expensive and would not want to buy it and then realize that it doesn't work as it intended.

thanks.

8. shahmeer

shahmeer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I've had my P650SE for 2 years now and its been great for the most part, however now I'm starting to run into a problem.

My laptop takes a very long time to post (over 2 minutes). When I press the power button, the power LED light comes on, the indicator LED lights come on (left most GPU light is solid green, right most and second to the right most LEDs are on, and third to the right most is blinking). Keyboard LED lights also come on, and I can change LED level and also turn on max fan with Fn+1. However, the screen stays black and the Sager logo doesn't come up for 2+ minutes.

I recently installed an M.2 SSD, however this problem started happening a while after the installation. I haven't made an changes in the BIOS, nor have I touched any of the internals apart from the SSD. I've tried turning on the laptop without anything in it's ports (no USB, headphone or power connected) but the same thing happens. Right now I'm scared to turn this thing off, so I keep it on sleep even when its in my backpack.

I do have the GPU overclocked through MSI Afterburner (+100 MHz core clock, +200 MHz memory clock), could that be causing this problem?

I absolutely need this laptop since I'm a computer science student in college, so any help is appreciated.

9. aveyer

aveyer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I think because they are specifying the max resolution possible, and then the refresh rate at that resolution.
    So it can do 4K but only @ 60hz, but it will do 2K (2560 x 1440) @ 120hz which is what I used since my monitor was 2K 144hz.

10. Xdrqgol

Reputations:
    alright, thanks . I will try to find someone with a 144hz and give it a try.