*** Official Clevo P65xSA/SE/SG / Sager NP8650/51/52 Owner´s Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes, the defaults are set to reset from a map of settings that were unlocked when created.

Messing around with some of the more obscure settings are for advanced users only and can brick the machine if you don't know what you are doing.

I think he blocks a fair amount of things still for this reason but some are still useful and so advanced users want them in.

2. shahmeer

shahmeer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've had the P650SE/NP8651 for the past 2 years (bought from XoticPC). I've had no problems with it, in fact it has far surpassed my expectations.

I've kept the laptop stock during this time (apart from adding an SSD), but I'd like to overclock the GPU to push performance. I've never done this before, so I'd appreciate it if someone could point me towards a general guide/tips (preferably specifically for the 970m). Also, is it advisable to OC this GPU in terms of risks/cooling capacity?

3. swaaye

swaaye Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You should be able to overclock about +135MHz on the GPU core with the stock VBIOS. I think video RAM clock is essentially unlocked. You just slowly increase these clock speeds and test it with a game, watching for any drawing errors or even a freeze or BSOD.

Try getting MSI Afterburner and seeing if you can increase the core clock. To go higher than the ~135MHz limit, you need a modified VBIOS such as one made by Prema, but he has shut his site down so that's tricky to come across. Naturally, flashing a BIOS is a more risky endeavor too.

Note that you may just end up causing it to throttle after it heats up. These notebooks don't have a lot of cooling headroom.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    On the stock BIOS there is usually a balance for best sustained performance around the +75mhz range.

5. skandal

skandal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I downgraded mine from 1.05.01 to PremaMod without trouble.
    I was thinking of doing my own BIOS using 1.05.01 as base. Maybe at the end of the year I might have something.

Xdrqgol likes this.
  6. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Right, in this case downgrading to 1.03.xx is no problem as the 1.05.xx base only fixes a single bug in W10 secure-boot mode.

7. CivicJDM

CivicJDM Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was just experimenting with a GPU overclock in Forza Horizon 3, trying to boost my framerate to a stable 60FPS. I tried a +230MHz core clock on the 970M yesterday and it seemed to be relatively stable for the 10 minutes I tested it, but today using the same values caused the laptop to freeze and bluescreen. So perhaps not a good idea to push it this far in future. The temperatures remained cool throughout at around 65°C. I didn't try increasing the voltage past the default value so don't know whether this would have made a difference to the stability. Either way, probably not worth the risk of ruining an expensive laptop for the sake of a few extra FPS. ;)

BTW, while i'm here can anyone rate my Arctic MX-5 thermal paste application from about 1 year ago. It's probably terrible. I couldn't find many guides on the internet for a laptop with a similar CPU/GPU so just ended up applying what I thought was best. It's hard not to apply too much because the stuff comes out of the damn tube so quickly. I was thinking about dismantling the laptop this weekend and giving it a better application. It could probably do with a good clean because the amount of dust which came out last time was disgusting. :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Almost correct, use a line like have for the CPU and use an X pattern for the GPU for best coverage.

CivicJDM likes this.
  9. CivicJDM

CivicJDM Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the feedback, Meeker! I see what you mean about using the cross-shaped pattern on the GPU; it would definitely be more effective. I'll have another go at it over the weekend since the laptop is probably due for a good clean! ;)

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Sounds like a plan to me, keep an eye on the spread pattern as it gives hints to the quality of paste application and contact.

CivicJDM likes this.