*** Official Clevo P65xSA/SE/SG / Sager NP8650/51/52 Owner´s Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Oct 13, 2014.

1. godlyatheist

godlyatheist Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Soundblaster is just a fancy equalizer, you want to turn it off when you get an external DAC. Your headphones are entry level and do not require much to be driven. Personally, I wouldn't spend more than $100 for the DAC and the less the better. Here's a list to get started on your research link. If you have plans to get better headphones in the future, you can spend more on a better DAC.

2. Studie

Studie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have used the Dragonfly DAC with the m50x before and it sounds so much better than just straight plugging them into the computer.
    You can look into it for yourself, I highly recommend it.

http://www.audioquest.com/usb_digital_analog_converter/dragonfly-dac

3. godlyatheist

godlyatheist Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have the v1.0 of the Dragonfly. While the sound quality is better than the onboard chip, it still has noticeable hiss when nothing is playing, don't know if this was fixed in v2.0

4. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Agreed, undervolting plus a repaste with GC Extreme is in order... Clean the fans when you do this! Strongly recommend GC Extreme.. Easy to apply, stays really cool after that..

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Robbo99999 likes this.
  5. jeanjackstyle

jeanjackstyle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As for external DAC, I personally vouch for Fiio, owned their kunlun model for roughly two years now, used with both my laptop and phone.

6. Oxford_Guy

Oxford_Guy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, I've switched back and forth between the XMG and Prema bios a few times. The only issues I've hit is that some software I had (e.g. Serato DJ) seems to have been locked to the particular bios, so I've had to contact the supplier to get it reactivated

7. Oxford_Guy

Reputations:
    I use a Cambridge Audio DACMagic (see: https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/hifi-and-home-cinema/dacmagic-xs )

I got this to fix the only issue I've had with my XMG P505, which is loads of background hiss through the headphone port - using the DACMagic there is absolutely no hiss, as an added bonus the sound quality is noticeably much improved as well.

8. Oxford_Guy

Reputations:
    BTW this connects to the computer through the USB port (no drivers are required AFAIK, but best to download and install the drivers, so that it can support audio up to 24 bit/192Khz), then you can connect any external headphones or amplifier/powered speaker using a standard 3.5mm jack plug. The unit, although very small, also has handy volume up/down buttons on them and it's construction is very well made

9. heibk201

heibk201 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    tried that, didn't work

yeah and my warranty went out for about a few days when that happened...really convenient right?

TomJGX likes this.
  10. kaded

kaded Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys, wanted to ask something real quick.
    I'm thinking of getting a samsung 950 pro(nvme). I learnt that some laptop motherboeards have trouble booting up from nvme ssds. Is that the case with P650SE? Also will the pci-e ssd effect the performance of the GPU in any way?