*** Official Clevo P65xSA/SE/SG / Sager NP8650/51/52 Owner´s Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Oct 13, 2014.

1. tiner

tiner Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi there.

Enjoying my Clevo since the first time I booted up about 13 months ago...

But now I've just bought some good speakers and I want them to give better audio quality. The audio seems very poor for me if I compare it with the output audio quality of a basic stereo.

Any easy way for improving the quality?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

2. godlyatheist

godlyatheist Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Lucky for you, the P650SE has optical SPDIF output. If your receiver accepts SPDIF, buy a mini TOS link to regular TOS link cable and feed it to the receiver. If you can't use optical, then you can buy a USB to analog bridge that will you use regular RCA cable to connect the two. I have optical output to my Audio GD NFC 11 DAC, which feeds my Senn HD650 headphones. No more hiss, statics, or poor quality. ;)

PS: You didn't connect the laptop directly to the speakers did you? There isn't enough power to drive the speaker from the laptop alone,

Thorne likes this.
  3. godlyatheist

Reputations:
    Sorry for the double post, but I want this questions to be separate. Any here do any encoding on their P650SE? The moment Handbrake starts to run the CPU temps shoots straight for 100C. I'm afraid encoding even one tv episode will fry the CPU. The only way I can keep the temperature under control is to throttle the CPU to like 25% usage. Is there another way?

4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That sounds like the CPU is not pasted up properly, or dust in the fan & heatsink fins (can of compressed air to blow out dust), or you might need to repaste the CPU. You shouldn't have to the throttle the CPU to 25% to get decent temps - I don't own your laptop but that's what I think.

5. tiner

Reputations:
    Sorry, I don't even know where that spdif output is.

I was thinking about buying a external sound card and then plugging the headphones to the new card.

You mean that the new soundcard should be plugged via SPDIF?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

6. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    You using the Sound Blaster utility?

7. godlyatheist

Reputations:
    The laptop temp is fine doing anything besides encoding. Even the most extreme games will only make the CPU temp go to the mid 80s. Encoding will skyrocket the CPU temp even if CPU utilization isn't at 100%

8. godlyatheist

Reputations:
    There are three 3.5mm plugs on the right side of the laptop, 1 of them has red light coming out from it, that's the SPDIF. When you use SPDIF, the sound signal bypasses the onboard audio and is sent straight to your receiver/external soundcard/DAC/amplifier. This way, you can eliminate the noise from the motherboard and give you a clean sound. You can also do this via USB soundcard/DAC/bridge etc, it's just SPDIF is more straight forward. Basically you don't want the onboard sound card to process the signal.

As for what equipment you need, it depends on 1) what headphone/speaker you want to drive 2)what other receiver/amplifier you already have 3)the most important one, how big is your wallet.

9. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well that seems like a normal temperature while gaming for that thin laptop - in that case maybe you don't need to bother with repasting, but it might help, and you could use a quality paste like Gelid GC Extreme to shave off a couple of degrees (and liquid ultra to shave off another 5 degC maybe - but that's conductive). You could try undervolting your CPU to reduce temperatures.

10. tiner

Reputations:
    I've just bought these headphones.

Audio technica m50x.

They sound pretty cool when I plug them to my house stereo.

Maybe I need an external DAC?

And yes, I'm using Soundblaster software but I pretty much doubt it makes the sound better by itself...