*** Official Clevo P65xSA/SE/SG / Sager NP8650/51/52 Owner´s Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    To be honest, it's been somewhat known that the new Clevo P650RE/RG (aka Eurocom M5 Pro 2) is coming out around November.

That being said, aside from the Skylake CPU, the only real bonus to the revised models is the optional inclusion of G-SYNC. The P650 series won't have Thunderbolt 3 apparently.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  2. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    And Soundblaster MB5. I'm hoping that I can install that on my laptop once the drivers are available. Seeing as the hardware is identical there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to.

Thanks Ramzay!

3. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Uh dude, this is Creative you're talking here, one of the crappiest companies out there with a long history of anticompetitive practices and BS. They patent trolled actually innovative companies like Aureal to bankruptcy and then snatched them up, eliminating all competition and monopolizing the PC gaming audio market. They stifled innovation in PC game audio by making EAX as proprietary and exclusive as possible, if you wanted it you had to play their game, heck they even made the alternative OpenAL proprietary. They made ALchemy (a simple DS3D to OpenAL software wrapper) an exclusive feature of the new X-Fi sound cards, leaving owners of their previous high-end sound cards like the Audigy series high and dry unless they paid for "legacy support". When a modder named daniel_k backported ALchemy to the older sound cards (along with fixing bugs and Vista compatibility issues in Creative's notoriously crappy drivers), they threatened to sue him. That was the last straw for me as a former Audigy 2 owner, and I never bought another Creative sound card again.

So unless you go out and buy the MB5 software once it is released to end-users (assuming it's not OEM-only), or Clevo somehow works out the licensing with Creative to upgrade all their current X-Fi MB3 notebooks to MB5 (a costly proposition I'm sure), you're not getting a free upgrade. I don't seem to recall MB users getting a free upgrade to MB2 or MB2 getting a free upgrade to MB3. Besides, the difference between all these software packages like X-Fi MB and Cinema is negligible at best, and I'm sure it'll be the same with MB5 (that whole skipping a number thing is pure marketing BS--look at Windows 10, shoulda been called Windows NEIN!).

/rant

D2 Ultima likes this.
  4. Ryzir

Ryzir Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looking at the Sager NP8657-S (Clevo P650RE3) on XoticPC it has Skylake, DDR4, and G-Sync Option. WIth the G-Sync IPS (1080p) it's about $120 more than the NP8651-S w/ IPS (1080p) that I ordered. I wish I could have waited but it looks like mid-october would be the earliest you could get one with G-Sync from them.

5. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    Skylake doesn't really offer many gaming benefits from what's currently known, and neither does DDR4 RAM (though it's a crap-ton more expensive). G-SYNC, however, is a very nice bonus, and I'd pay $120 more for that alone.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    DDR4 is a bit more power efficient and allows higher capacities, the K series CPUs will be quite interesting I think.

7. Lum-X

Lum-X Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The only thing i see in new laptops is lower temps and more battery life. And for me that i will work my thesis in parallel computing those gpus with 8gigs of ram would have helped a bit. G sync is great for gaming thought.

8. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hahaha don't fall into that marketing crap, you want a good audio system ? Make sure that the laptop has some high quality audio speakers, focus on the hardware not the software...
    Bose, Klipsch, Dynaudio.

Regarding software : THX for me maybe can help a high-end speaker reach its full potential, but MB3/MB5...this is stupid to focus on that.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    D2 Ultima and jeanjackstyle like this.
  9. jeanjackstyle

jeanjackstyle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That being said, it is fun to see in the same post "marketing crap" not followed by "Bose"...

Let me be clear, Bose products are not crap, but they are the marketing champions around. When they did their first compact speaker it was a great move, but ever since all they did is take care of their brand and market their aesthetics rather than focusing on quality materials and innovation.

10. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Yeah, Bose is better than Beats but not by much. Pretty much the only thing they do well is ANC headphones because they pioneered the technology.