*** Official Clevo P65xSA/SE/SG / Sager NP8650/51/52 Owner´s Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I think I slightly prefer the Intel.

2. heibk201

heibk201 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    if you have the killer card then try to install the qualcomm generic driver rather than the killer ones because they are much stable, but on the other hand you might as well just get intel 7265 if that's the case. both has equal sorts of problems here and there, and to me it's just not worth the $20 to get the "gamer feel"

3. danstar7

danstar7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been running Windows 10 technical preview on my np8652 since I got it. Hotkey driver and creative sound suite all work properly. Airplane mode used to work, then after new builds it would be broken until I reinstalled it. Then it started having issues where every other time I tried to use it I would get a BSOD, hopefully that's just a TP issue.

Cakefish likes this.
  4. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    Good to know that Clevo drivers are compatible with 10. I couldn't stand not having the Creative Soundblaster software installed on this laptop.

5. ldkv

ldkv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What does it do anyway ? I couldn't feel what it changed to the sound, so after a few tries I uninstalled it for good :D

6. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    Scan have replied saying that they will try to rectify their display swap error (I may be getting an AUO panel after all!) :)

The guy asked how I figured it was the wrong panel - hope I won't get in trouble warranty-wise for taking a quick peek at the back of the LCD panel! I haven't damaged anything.
    It improves the sound quality and volume of the in-built speakers massively when configured correctly.

Not a concern if you use external speakers all the time, but my Bluetooth speaker sits the opposite side of my room and sometimes I just can't be bothered to keep relocating it when I want to watch a simple YouTube video for example!

ldkv likes this.
  7. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Yeah X-Fi MB3 is useless for the built-in speakers. It increases max volume but adds noise, clipping and distortion. Had the same problem with Dolby Home Theater V4 in my old Lenovo Y500. Laptop speakers work best as-is, any additional software processing just makes them sound worse.

Ironically it works much better with headphones. The SBX virtual surround is good for games (increases competitive advantage) and movies.

ldkv and heibk201 like this.
  8. heibk201

heibk201 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    can't you just tell him that you checked via software? HWinfo, AIDA64 and numerous apps will tell you what the lcd panel is, and once you know what the panel is you can just look it up to find out the connector for it.
    and in fact, usually finding the model number on the LCD itself is way more confusing than just software checking...so there's no need for you to tell him anyways o_O

but for most people all they cared is loudness, which is reasonable. a volume of 20 with SBX is equivalent to 50 without SBX, so for average people SBX is fine to use, just don't expect anything to get better other than loudness :cool:

9. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Yeah well most ppl are dumb, look up the loudness war. That's pretty much what the software does, equalization and dynamic range compression to make the laptops speakers sound louder and crappier. Ppl are so desensitized by all the Top 40 garbage they think more louder all the time sounds better.

heibk201 likes this.
  10. heibk201

heibk201 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    well this is why beats can make any money at all. and laptop speakers aside the onboard realtek DACs are also mediocre so... actually I wonder why you said SBX works better for headphones, it's the same kind of signal compression so wouldn't it screw up regardless?