*** Official Clevo P65xSA/SE/SG / Sager NP8650/51/52 Owner´s Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    Nah, having a 4K display wouldn't cause the memory to artifact in Unigine at relatively lower clocks. It's simply the silicon lottery. It's not a PSU limitation - I've had zero whole-system crashes. Windows itself stays rock steady, it's only the GPU driver that fails. The core isn't limited in the same way; I've tested it all the way up to +300 and it can go higher still, but I don't want to risk such crazy high voltages for everyday gaming on the 180W PSU.

Tried to narrow down my options. I think it's a choice between either +225/+100 at 1.1250V (+75mV) or +125/+100 at 1.0500 (stock voltage). The latter never comes close to breaking the 200W threshold while the former does frequently (in Unigine), so maybe it'd be safest to just stick with stock voltages... it's not like the 980M is underpowered at stock anyway.

Could just play it safe and cruise along on stock voltages with this 980M and hope that my next GPU, whatever that ends up being (likely the 1080M), is a better overclocker.

Sent from my Nexus 5

2. Tentenkun

Tentenkun Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    i for one just overclock for benching, leave the system at stock clocks for gaming and underclock/undervolt for everyday usage @browsing/movies/etc :)

4. tfast500

tfast500 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Haven't kept up very well with these threads since receiving my notebook, but just wanted to check in and share my thoughts after owning it for 2 weeks (heavy usage)

I have had the 980m version (NP8652) since Dec 23rd and Ill admit usually by this time I have found flaws, dislikes, and concerns from previous purchases. I have been out of the laptop game for awhile but my expectation for a laptop are still set fairly high. I can honestly say that this laptop has been like nothing I have previously encountered in that it is absolutely flawless. I mean seriously I cant think of one thing I dislike...

The overall look and feel is way more professional, solid, and sleek in real life then I had expected.
    The Keyboard is perfect in size and functionality. The keys are very pleasant to type on. You can go wrong with the backlit keys!
    From all my previous laptops I have had low expectations for the internal speakers. This laptop has set a new standard on my check list it is perfect for me.
    Graphics. What more do you want best available... and chews up every game 1080p that I throw at it
    Noise level on this machine is next to none. I cant hear it. my laptop cooler is louder than the laptop itself and the laptop is very silent not a peep when not gaming (cant say the same for previously owned laptops)
    Temps (keep in mind I had factory applied IC Diamond installed. But temps are cooler on this laptop with higher end components then my non gaming laptops...
    The screen (IPS 1080p LG) is beautiful. I haven't found a reason to try out my spare Samsung IPS 1080p panel. (I guess it will make a nice spare)
    The chrome bezel around the fan vents looks great - originally against it before seeing it in person. (in person it looks fitting and definitely gives it a nice touch)

I honestly could keep going... if and when I ever find a flaw ill be sure to post it; however at this time (2 weeks after receiving - and trust me very heavy usage) I am a very proud owner of such a great machine.
    :thumbsup:

HTWingNut, Cakefish, bossbrew and 2 others like this.
  5. flamy

flamy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    :O

Then, you are doing all that delidding business for benching?

6. kingyr

kingyr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've run into a pretty annoying issue - wanting to see my benchmarks but I can't run 3DMark, this is the error I get: -

Unexpected error running tests.
    Workload Single init returned error message: File: device_resources.cpp
    Line: 313
    Function: class eva::com_ptr<struct ID3D11Buffer> __cdecl eva::d3d11::device_resources::create_buffer(const struct D3D11_BUFFER_DESC &,const struct D3D11_SUBRESOURCE_DATA *) const

Expression: hr: DX11 call failed [-2005270523].

Hardware device removed.
    DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED: ID3D11Device::CreateBuffer:

people say its hardware/or driver issue, tried multiple drivers already, still the same thing. Games are good though? Not that I have many, but fine with the FFXIII's, dota 2, tf2. Any thoughts?

7. Omnom

Omnom Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Okay guys, my wireless is seriously annoying me. It connects after waking it from a while in hibernation/sleep. But then it randomly drops the connection. I plugged my phone which is also using the same wireless connection perfectly and used USB tethering to use internet on my laptop. It works doing this method. I don't see this working using my home wireless connection either.
    It's kind of annoying considering I just got the laptop. But there are a few variables,one of them being the hotels wireless. But then again every phone of my family is using the wireless perfectly. I'll wait till I return to new Zealand until I return it. Just to make sure that it isn't the current place I'm in. From there I will probably just try and rma it. I'm so glad for the 1 year global warranty I purchased.

In the interim, does anybody with this issue have a solution that I could try? I tried following the one HTWingNut posted but I got lost after step 4 in trying to find and change some value in the registry editor in win7. I've run the 'ping www.google.com -t' command in cmd to test the ping. It frequently spiked when connected but it also frequently 'request timed out' on me and it could not connect.

Would it be easier to request a new chip and install it myself? Is it something easily done? Or should I leave it to the more experienced? I'm kind of annoyed that this wasn't tested in quality control. I specifically asked for it to be tested by Ted but seems it wasn't done.

Other than this wireless issue, I'm actually liking this laptop. A lot thinner in person. It looks sleek, the keyboard is nice, the finger scanner is great, and the screen is gorgeous. It's too bad that the wireless had to bum out on me. I would really really enjoy using this laptop otherwise.

Cheers,

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  8. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    haha nooo, my previous post was referring to the gpu :D im heavily dependent on cpu power for work, so thats what its mainly gonna be for (and benching, of course :p) besides, i just loooove to tinker ;)

9. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    Yeah, same here. It's very annoying.

I had wireless issues and they were completely resolved after they sent me a replacement wireless card to install myself. I'm glad I opted for that instead of the alternative; which was sending the entire laptop back. I can advise you how to go about replacing the wireless card yourself if you like, it's relatively simple.

Sent from my Nexus 5

10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I'll try to post a video on the registry edit. But I still find the 7265 card suffers similar issues as the 7260 and if you want AC wireless at this time unfortunately that is the only offered option. Killer cards should be coming soon, and from my personal experience can say that it works wonderfully.

I'm assuming Omnom has the Intel card considering he tried using my "workaround" which applies to Intel only cards. The Intel cards have the ping spike issue. Maybe it's only on some, but it's prevalent enough to be an issue and not sure a replacement will fix it, but it's worth a shot I guess for peace of mind.