*** Official Clevo P65xSA/SE/SG / Sager NP8650/51/52 Owner´s Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Oct 13, 2014.

1. ImaNoldman

ImaNoldman Newbie

Reputations:
    Looking at ordering the NP8652 from Xotic PC to use for gaming, program development, and also an all-use machine, and I thought I'd tap the knowledge base:

- Any reason not to get the Samsung 3840x2160 4K screen for $150? Will the GPU run it at acceptable framerates for gaming?

- Any reason not to get the free Intel Dual Band AC 7265 WiFi upgrade?

- If I get Windows 8.1 Pro installed, will the machine come fully ready to go out of the box, or will I need to install a bunch of drivers, etc.?

Thanks!!

PS I will certainly be posting reviews, etc.

...R

2. adampk17

adampk17 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don't get the Samsung 4K panel, hold out for the Sharp 4K panel.

You can find many pages on the 'why' earlier in this thread.

Essentially, the Samsung panel cheats to get to a 4K resolution and many believe it has a 48 Hz max refresh rate at 4K, too.

Adam

3. aethelbert

aethelbert Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    860M to 870M was a lot easier to manage since they were different architectures and the 860M is a very impressive chip versus the 870M being fairly good but nothing spectacular.

970M to 980M is the same architecture, basically the same chip except the 970M is missing ~20% of the cores that the 980M has. Naturally this corresponds to an approximate difference of ~20% in real world performance tests.

Not to mention that the 970M is also missing 1GB of VRAM.

4. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    *cough* 30% *cough*

bigspin and m033dkhan like this.
  5. aethelbert

aethelbert Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Haha, wow I guess the difference is greater than I thought.

Btw, just did a CPU repaste of my P650SG CPU (i7-4710HQ) with Noctua HT-H1 and CPU temperatures <strike> dropped from ~94 degrees C under Prime95 + Furmark to ~85 degrees C </strike>.

Didn't repaste the GPU since my temperatures of 80 degrees C are in my opinion perfectly reasonable.

Interesting to note that fans were not under full load for either. Switching on Max Fan Speed (Fn+1) dropped GPU temps to 72 degrees C before the repaste.

EDIT: Nevermind, running it for 5 minutes more raised CPU temps to what they were before. Such sad.

EDIT 2:
    After the CPU repaste:
    Auto Fans:
    CPU: 95 degrees C
    GPU: 80 degrees C

Max Fan Speed:
    CPU: 85 degrees C
    GPU: 72 degrees C

alaskajoel likes this.
  6. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    those are some pretty sick temps for a furmark+p95 run, impressive! :) juat check and make sure rhat the gpu doesnt throttle in furmark, nvidia models have been known to do that once occt or furmark is started to artificially lower their clocks!

edit: oops, premature results then? to make sure u reach max. temps id advise to do the furmark/p95 run for at least 20 min. 1-3 min. wont tell u what u want to know :p
    also, msi kombustor comes highly recommended as an alternative to furmark ;)

7. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for this, glad I'm not crazy.

8. ChrisAtsin

ChrisAtsin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey. Been a member for a little while, never posted anything. But I've been following this thread for a while. I received my P650SE from EUROCOM a month ago since they were the only ones with IPS display at the time. I have a little problem with the screen. I get pink spots on black backgrounds. Eurocom agreed to fix it if I ship it back but I was wondering if there was an easier fix without having to send back the notebook. Any ideas?

9. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok small heads up on the LG IPS sager will send :
    pros :
    It's beautiful :).
    Nice Vibrant color,
    Excellent viewing angle
    60 fps games work like a charm : no ghosting.
    no yellow tint like some other ips screen....

cons :
    ....but white could be a little white-r :).
    A tiny tat more limunosity would make it a killer screen
    Minor light bleeds, only viewable on black screens : (just like my Glossy LG ips lvds screen), luminosity just like ALL matte screen could be a tiny better but it's clearly the highest luminosity on MATTE screen I saw. Don't get me wrong it's 300cd/cm2 and it's really great but I set the bar a littlle high for screens :)

to sum up : Great screen ! Beautiful contrast, nice colors reproduction only minor light bleeds

Will upload a video of the screen running the Fire strike benchmark soon.

IKAS V, teknikk7 and flamy like this.
  10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The texture unit loss hits it too which makes it harder to feed all the ROPs.